Is Space-time peculiar?

Randolpin

This question is based on the property of space in my point of view. In my point of view, space-time is peculiar because it can curve even if it is not tangible or at "first sight" it is somewhat unrecognizable or we don't even mind about it but here it comes because of G.R. we found out that it is a thing that can curve thru mass/energy. The second question follows, is mass/energy the only "thing" that can curve space/time, if yes then why?

Answers or feedbacks are very much appreciated. Thank You :)

Yes, mass/energy is the only thing that curves spacetime to our knowledge. Why is a philosophical question. I have my guesses as to why, but it's senseless to talk about it without evidence.

Peculiarity is a subjective sentiment so the question cannot be answered objectively. I find it peculiar, I guess, but that doesn't mean anything.

In my point of view, space-time is peculiar

In fact in science "points of view" have no value. None. Whatever.

The so-called "curvature of spacetime" arises because in the presence of mass/energy the most useful/appropriate coordinates to describe the geometry of the 4-dimensional spacetime manifold are curvilinear, not rectilinear.

"Spacetime curvature" is an unhelpful pop-science term. It is easy to see that in the (theoretical) absence of a gravitational source, or if you prefer, at infinite distance from one, the rectilinear (i.e. quasi-Cartesian) coordinates will suffice.

is mass/energy the only "thing" that can curve space/time, if yes then why?

Yes, as far as is known - but note that, in this context, gravitation is considered a form of mass/energy. That is gravitation causes itself!! For this reason, mathematicians call the General Theory of Relativity non-lineaar