Apple's Technology for Preventing Video Recording in I-Phone is Worst Idea

Spirit of Science

Hi, I back again

Apple Company has been filled a patent in 2016 for new technology to prevent recording videos or capturing images for special events by using I-Phone mobile in Concerts Venues, in Cinemas or Theatres.

It can prevent recording events in specific direction only, so if we turn our phone 90 degree (toward our friends), it will start recording in that event.

But, one of disadvantages of that technology, that someone talent expert may dismantled the smart phone & then put IR absorber material on sensor & then camera will work anywhere.

Also you may use another easy trick without previous risk method.

Any kind of camera or phone except I-Phone may work in that prohibitated places well (without any problem unless all camera companies adopted Apple's Technology)

That's not a solution.

All digital camera is working either by CCD or CMOS Technology.

So, understanding the working principle of CCD or CMOS technology & find a scientific method to manipulate the camera, will let you permanently to shut down it for any person in any place (home, street, club & market) without using sensor regardless the type of phone (I-Pad, Galaxy) or camera (Canon) which may be used.

Special necklace must be invented to protect the privacy right of people.

It's not acceptable to give a privilege of privacy right for specific kind of people (e.g. companies & events organizers)

So, whats your opinion about Apple I-Phone Technology ?

I will not deny that I have found some ideas by using IR Propagation but it still want more knowledge. Im not talking by using a IR Beam directed into the lens of camera because thats is not applicable & flexible option.

Source:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/30/technology/apple-patent-stop-phone-recording/

post-128881-0-60867800-1495082725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spirit of Science

Great idea. I haven't been to a gig for a few years but seeing Youtube film of concerts and seeing a sea of raised arms, cameras in hand, is not my idea of a good time. There should be technology to remotely disable phone phones in that kind of environment where they'll be a nuisance. Uploaded video of gigs to Youtube are rubbish anyway.

StringJunky. No body doubt that idea of prevention in camera is great. Many exhibitions and concerts venues has been paid too much money for preparation of that event. But Apple's technology has many defects and Im sure they will discover it in future and they will say "there is no benefit from technology as it has a weakness point and we can't solve it"

Is this about technology or rights? Because you don't have the right to film the situations being described. It's not a "privilege of privacy". This is a copyright issue. The right to copy. Attendees do not have that right.

As to the technology issue, patents are patents, not technology. Companies patent things all the time without deploying them. Frankly I don't see the point, because there would be so many other phones out there that could film an event surreptitiously, unless event coordinators are threatening to not allow anyone with a smartphone in to the event. Until this is an actual feature of a phone being sold, it's much ado about nothing.

The fact that it could be defeated is a nonstarter. That's true of lots of technologies.

The alternate path suggested is silly. You say some other technology "needs to be invented". Well, go invent it then. Until that happens, it's not an alternative. It's like claiming Bigfoot will solve the problem. (and again, privacy right is not the issue)

Swansont,

both are involved, technology and right.

In side of technology, why Apple think to find way to for utilization of companies and events organizers?

2) why they choose Infrared (IR) radiation as signal rather than using AM (Amplitude Modification) signal- similar to radio - and person can wear small device in his/her hand or neck and shut down camera mode.

This AM band may go through cement wall, and will prevent illegal capture or recording in sphere radius of 20 meter for any direction 360 degree either in home or street.

In side of rights,

Companies, institutions...etc has been classified as artificial entity which has rights and duties similar to human which is classified as natural entity. Both of them "natural and artificial entity" has governed by law.

I know the term of "copy right" well, but why do you think Apple wants to make a block area for its camera?

They believe that to find and punish the person who make this illegal action in event will take long time and maybe they will not find it at all.

Closing his/her illegal channel/website is not a solution because he/she will create another channel again (if he/she doesnt arrested).

You can prevent people to enter event without their phones but thats is not accepted for many people as they want to share thier photos with families and friends.

So, the initial prevention in event is excellent idea but how you find an innovative idea which dont have many defects, is what many technology companies wanted and in the same time people can share their nice photos and videos.

AM frequency is excellent option for and they may coded the data for more security from hackers. Definitely, you must have approval from Communication Authority in your country to give a specific value of frequency and its better to be global value.

But I explained previously, sensor in Iphone is not good choice.

Uploaded video of gigs to Youtube are rubbish anyway.

I think that pretty much says it all right there. Frank Zappa used to give away cassettes of his performances, figuring that a live recording still wasn't like having the album because you don't get studio quality, and it deprived the pirates of their profit source.

It's been really interesting to watch the "arms race" between various forces squared off against each other in the technology war.

Regarding piracy itself, I oppose pirates that record performances for commercial purposes (trying to make a profit off the backs of the creative artists). I don't think someone who's just recording memories the same as he or she would record a kid's birthday part represent a problem. Problem is you can't tell them apart at the time.

I suspect this technology will mostly prevent non-commercial recording (the "memory makers"). Serious pirates will learn how to defeat the technology. I felt the same about the whole "Let's ban WhatsApp" thing in England. Banning Whatsapp won't stop terrorists; it won't even stop them from using encryption. They'll just fall back to less convenient ways of doing so. The people that will be hurt are the everyday casual users of encryption, who like the idea of privacy but aren't going to go to the trouble to set up and use GnuPG, for example.

Things like this rarely wind up accomplishing the originally stated goal; they mostly just have unintended consequences.

Swansont,

both are involved, technology and right.

In side of technology, why Apple think to find way to for utilization of companies and events organizers?

2) why they choose Infrared (IR) radiation as signal rather than using AM (Amplitude Modification) signal- similar to radio - and person can wear small device in his/her hand or neck and shut down camera mode.

This AM band may go through cement wall, and will prevent illegal capture or recording in sphere radius of 20 meter for any direction 360 degree either in home or street.

You could wear an AM radio transmitter, too, if that were the technology being used. You haven't solved anything by using AM. Complaining about a non-existant technology based on a patent is like shouting in a hurricane.

In side of rights,

Companies, institutions...etc has been classified as artificial entity which has rights and duties similar to human which is classified as natural entity. Both of them "natural and artificial entity" has governed by law.

I know the term of "copy right" well, but why do you think Apple wants to make a block area for its camera?

They believe that to find and punish the person who make this illegal action in event will take long time and maybe they will not find it at all.

Closing his/her illegal channel/website is not a solution because he/she will create another channel again (if he/she doesnt arrested).

You can prevent people to enter event without their phones but thats is not accepted for many people as they want to share thier photos with families and friends.

So, the initial prevention in event is excellent idea but how you find an innovative idea which dont have many defects, is what many technology companies wanted and in the same time people can share their nice photos and videos.

There's nothing in this scenario that's about finding and/or punishing people, or closing their websites. You're projecting that.

Why does Apple want to do this? I suppose they think there is a demand for it from people tired of getting ripped off by illegal copying. It may be part of negotiation with such people for other business opportunities, much like attempting to protect video recording copying was necessary for the distribution of movies.

AM frequency is excellent option for and they may coded the data for more security from hackers. Definitely, you must have approval from Communication Authority in your country to give a specific value of frequency and its better to be global value.

But I explained previously, sensor in Iphone is not good choice.

But you have not offered a viable alternative. As I said before, you can transmit AM, too.

Seems simple enough to me...

If you don't like the constraints Apple puts on their tech, buy someone else's tech.

I have never liked Apple/Mac products for that simple reason, they are overpriced and lock you in to doing things the 'Apple' way.

I don't need pretty or fashionable in my tech, but apparently a lot of people ( sheep ) do, and have made Apple a very rich company.

I've always felt pretty much the same. However, my employer (IBM) "refreshes" our computers every four years, and I came due in early January. The Windows options have absolutely terrible battery life, so I decided to give in and try out a Macbook Air. An online friend told me about Homebrew, a third party package manager for Mac OS. Using that I've gotten it set up so that I can do more or less all of my usual Linux tricks, and the battery life is better than any computer I've ever owned. So at least right now I'm pretty content.

Seems simple enough to me...

If you don't like the constraints Apple puts on their tech, buy someone else's tech.

I have never liked Apple/Mac products for that simple reason, they are overpriced and lock you in to doing things the 'Apple' way.

I don't need pretty or fashionable in my tech, but apparently a lot of people ( sheep ) do, and have made Apple a very rich company.

They fill a niche; it's for the non-tech savvy and the price of that is having to do things a certain way.

Swansont,

According to what I understand, you made a difference between existence technology and patent. I think that because there are many theoritical patents especially in USA from smart-Phones makers.

Im sure that technology is very similar to TV receiver and remote control of LED (light emitting diode). Its very simple, when the signal from Remote reach TV receiver, a microprocessor will read the code of signal and make a decision to Iphone camera mode to shut down (similar to switch on/off light in home by using LED device.

If they want to protect the copyright of events, so it must be a global federation of all companies who are related to smart phones & camera to discuss a unique and best method to prevent recording videos and it must all companies accept that decision.

Whats the benefit if Apple phones prevent recording videos while in the same time other phones & cameras manufacturers may do the prohibition action. Its nonsense and waste of time.

Federation is a way to reserve the copy rights.

Its not projections.

The famous website "MegaUpload" has been closed by FBI in 2012 due to copyright issues. The economical loss of copyright up to 500 million Dolloar and they arrested them in Newzeland.

You could wear an AM radio transmitter, too, if that were the technology being used. You haven't solved anything by using AM. Complaining about a non-existant technology based on a patent is like shouting in a hurricane.

There's nothing in this scenario that's about finding and/or punishing people, or closing their websites. You're projecting that.

Why does Apple want to do this? I suppose they think there is a demand for it from people tired of getting ripped off by illegal copying. It may be part of negotiation with such people for other business opportunities, much like attempting to protect video recording copying was necessary for the distribution of movies.

But you have not offered a viable alternative. As I said before, you can transmit AM, too.

Swansont,

According to what I understand, you made a difference between existence technology and patent. I think that because there are many theoritical patents especially in USA from smart-Phones makers.

Im sure that technology is very similar to TV receiver and remote control of LED (light emitting diode). Its very simple, when the signal from Remote reach TV receiver, a microprocessor will read the code of signal and make a decision to Iphone camera mode to shut down (similar to switch on/off light in home by using LED device.

If they want to protect the copyright of events, so it must be a global federation of all companies who are related to smart phones & camera to discuss a unique and best method to prevent recording videos and it must all companies accept that decision.

Whats the benefit if Apple phones prevent recording videos while in the same time other phones & cameras manufacturers may do the prohibition action. Its nonsense and waste of time.

On what phone is this currently available?

Until this is actually deployed, your objections are moot. You can't say for sure what the details of the technology are, despite your confidence that it will be like a TV remote. You don't actually know that. You don't actually know how it would be used by events. Apple may not ever put this on a phone available to the public. There's nothing to say that this is more than an idea on paper, whether it's being actively developed. It's a patent. They own it, so anybody else who wants to pursue this would need to come up with a different implementation or pay royalties to Apple to use this idea. It could be all about collecting licensing fees.

In 2011, Apple patented "magic" gloves. Where can I buy this item? (Again, a patent does not mean it will become a product)

swansont, it has not been available in any products of Iphone as it was filled patent in 2016, so it will take some times if they intend to use.

they have declared that they suggest to use IR Beam (radiation) as its non visible to human eyes , so tell me, if someone transmitt IR how it will received unless by similar way of TV remote and Car security technology. Its very obvious thing.

Its very strange behavior from Apple, if they dont want to used in any product, whats the benefit ? You only loss the patent filling fee of intellectual property. I can very easily to read your patent file of your invention (especially if they decided to take patent from World Intellectual Property Organization - WIPO - as they will publish any patent files after 2 years ) then I can change/add some new ideas to old patent. So, I will gain new patent.

I think its waste of money and time in respect to Apple company.

If my technology is very unique, so why I go to fill patent as no body can understand it if someone wants to discover the secrets alone like militiary sectors do.

Its very strange behavior from Apple, if they dont want to used in any product, whats the benefit ?

Even if they don't want to use the idea, they may want to stop others doing it (or charge a license fee for others to do it).

I can very easily to read your patent file of your invention (especially if they decided to take patent from World Intellectual Property Organization - WIPO - as they will publish any patent files after 2 years ) then I can change/add some new ideas to old patent. So, I will gain new patent.

Why would WIPO make any difference? The patent is already published.

And if the patent is well drafted, it wouldn't be easy to make small changes and gain a new patent.

swansont, it has not been available in any products of Iphone as it was filled patent in 2016, so it will take some times if they intend to use.

they have declared that they suggest to use IR Beam (radiation) as its non visible to human eyes , so tell me, if someone transmitt IR how it will received unless by similar way of TV remote and Car security technology. Its very obvious thing.

Using the already-existing camera and whatever encryption/decryption method they want to should also be obvious. A system that can take many frames-per-second of high-definition video should be able to support something a lot more robust than the protocol than a TV remote uses.

Its very strange behavior from Apple, if they dont want to used in any product, whats the benefit ? You only loss the patent filling fee of intellectual property. I can very easily to read your patent file of your invention (especially if they decided to take patent from World Intellectual Property Organization - WIPO - as they will publish any patent files after 2 years ) then I can change/add some new ideas to old patent. So, I will gain new patent.

I think its waste of money and time in respect to Apple company.

If my technology is very unique, so why I go to fill patent as no body can understand it if someone wants to discover the secrets alone like militiary sectors do.

Maybe you should become more aware of how many patents big companies, and even smaller ones or individuals, file on a regular basis. Especially ones for products that never see the light of day.

Supernerd,

Even so, if it was drafted 100%, smart & genious people can find alternative way to make new patent after reading patent file. Like what I have did now as I discover a new idea after discussing this thread with members of this exciting forum. I have been ever thinking about it previously.

Sharing your experience with people will open your mind to new ideas and knowledge.

Swansont,

my previous comments mean something similar to TV remote. Why you make it very complicated to use protocols. TV remote has many protocols as there are many functions of their buttons. Also, to prevent any kind of interruption between TV, Air conditioning and security alarm, they have made different types of protocols. Also, in economical view, customer will compel to buy the same TV remote of specific TV manufacturer as it has special protocols and using other type of TV remote will not work.

But in Iphone blocker its different situation, h Its very simple, if IR signal come it will open the gate (short circuit) by using microprocessor, if not, the gate will close and camera will back to its normal situation.

Ok, i will tell you what other benefit of IR beam in Iphone, assume that you want to buy a product from market but you want to know the general specification (power, manufacturer, validity, price, ... etc), and saved in your phone. so if there was an IR beam near that product, you can use your Iphone to display all that specifications and saved in your phone. Then when you return to your home you may compare with your Iphone the best price of the same products in many shops. Its very useful in that situation.

Also, in economical view, customer will compel to buy the same TV remote of specific TV manufacturer as it has special protocols and using other type of TV remote will not work.

So you are unaware of the existence of universal remotes. Where I live they are ubiquitous. If you subscribe to cable or satellite TV a remote is provided that can be programmed to your TV. Or you can just go out an buy one. It can also be programmed to work with a VCR, DVD, DVR, etc. They are compatible with devices from most manufacturers.

The technology is more advanced than you are describing.

swansont,

In my area there is nothing called subscribe to cable, we have only hypebola dish which is received the satellite channels. So, i dont know about universal remote at all.

10 years ago, I was living in advanced foriegn country, I was having a Casio Watch which can be used as remote for TV device. The watch works by receiving the signal code from specific TV remote. Then the watch will store this signal data on memory. Then, you can transmit the same signal data from your watch if TV remote is broken or lost.

I can guess that universal remote are working by the same way of Casio watch. But, why they only store all signal protocols of companies (Sony, Toshiba, Samsung... etc) in small USB memory or any kind of memory, then made a universal remote according to the selection of manufacturer. If TV is made by Sony as example, we will switch on/move first option of slider on the universe remote. If it was Toshiba TV, we will change the option from one to 2 to be comply with signal protocols of manufacturer, and so on.

I think its a good idea to have one TV remote to control many devices of manufacturer without need to programme it periodically similar to Casio watch.

I think that having a pre-set library of manufacturer control codes would just remove the labor of having to "teach" your remote every single thing. But there are remotes that work the way you described as well (they learn the signals from other devices).

The broader point is that if you are unaware of what technology is available then trying to guess at how* some new idea will be implemented is a bad bet. Essentially saying you're smarter than all of Apple.

*assuming it gets deployed

Yondr is the "technology" that's being used in some events places. It looks like this:

_96117318_yondr.jpg

You put your phone or smart watch in one of these which is then locked. You take it in with you and you also go through a metal detector to ensure compliance. After the gig it is unlocked and the phone is given back to you. Quite a simple solution. It's still too early to gauge response and effectiveness.

Chris Rock fans will have their phones locked up during his forthcoming UK shows. Is this the start of no longer seeing a sea of screens at concerts?

Gigs in the pre-smartphone age used to be far less complicated.
You'd turn up. Maybe locate the bar and figure out where the bathrooms were. Flick through a programme or chat to your friends, and then just enjoy the show.
But these days, such a scene sounds like ancient history.
Now, you turn up. Check yourself in on Facebook. Catch up on emails while you're waiting for the show to start, and then when it does, upload some photos and videos you've taken to Instagram.
But many concertgoers find the practice irrating, and now some performers are starting to object too.

Stringjunky,

I have searched about Yondr pouch fem miniutes ago and Its good idea in my point of view but someone may made a similar pouch by using 3D print and make his own technology for locking the pouche. Then he/she can lock/unlock the pouch anytime to cheat events officers. Definitely, no body can arrest you as a result that you made the same pouche product of Yondr company as I dont sell it for anybody in the market. Its something similar to universe remote in shops, but it has been designed by me in home.

I dont discover how it works as there is no much information in webs (but if I have a youndr pouch or attend one of concert, I will know how it works exactly).

So, there are two ways to lock pouche, either

1) using electrical method by sending IR signal or two sockets for wires (similar to sockets of USB drive which you can enter and exit it). IR signal required that pouch must have a small battery to receive signals and give order to lock pouch. The other socket way dont required any battery on Youndr pouch as it works similar to Stereo/radio/pump/fan.

2) or using magnetic field to clock the pouche by moving iron plates inside it by smart ways which prvent any body has the ability to move plates by his hand or use small stick.

Recently, I read somebody has tried to hack the youndr pouch, thats mean that they are using electrical method.

Stringjunky,

I have searched about Yondr pouch fem miniutes ago and Its good idea in my point of view but someone may made a similar pouch by using 3D print and make his own technology for locking the pouche. Then he/she can lock/unlock the pouch anytime to cheat events officers. Definitely, no body can arrest you as a result that you made the same pouche product of Yondr company as I dont sell it for anybody in the market. Its something similar to universe remote in shops, but it has been designed by me in home.

Once again, you assume how this would work. You can't use a fake pouch if you hand the phone over to an event employee and they put it in, and lock it.

Once again, you assume how this would work. You can't use a fake pouch if you hand the phone over to an event employee and they put it in, and lock it.

That's what they do. The procedure will be such that compliance is as successful as possible. I'm sure they've gone through multiple procedural models in testing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.