North Korea unification how will it work? Will the US pay for it?

nec209

I was watching some documentaries talking about the hardships of North Korea life and unification.

And got me thinking if there was to be unification how will this work? Will the US have to cough of billions and billion of dollars? For many of the North Korean people.

Talking about the hardships of North Korea life.

What North Korean Defectors Think Of North Korea

‪North Korean Defector tells what life is really like in North Korea.

With Trump in power and conservatives that hate to spend money on social programs what will happen? Where would money go for unification? Where unification cannot be done with out money? Will where the US cough of billions and billion of dollars?

With Trump in power and conservatives that hate to spend money on social programs what will happen? Where would money go for unification? Where unification cannot be done with out money? Will where the US cough of billions and billion of dollars?

I'm thinking this is an anti trump statement more then anything.

But either way, why would the US pay for it?

And who says they'd unify with South Korea instead of just merging with China, for example?

If North Korea is going to merge with another country it will almost certainly be with South Korea and not with China. That is the preference if both Koreas, the US, I believe still Russia and China itself who, among other things, doesn't want to have to deal with the humanitarian crisis that is the DPRK.

There is also the issue of language, history and ethic background, which are much bigger deals in Asia than I think a lot of Westerners realize.

The US government gave money and help South Korea.

South Korea has the 11th largest economy in the world by GDP, just behind Canada and ahead of both Russia and Australia. They don't require US money for reunification efforts (though I wouldn't be surprised if we did help out, we just wouldn't be underwriting the whole process because it isn't necessary).

Certainly, if there would be reunification of Korea, there would be plentiful US, and worldwide, venture capital investors willing to take a risk and invest in North Korea country.

I bet McDonald's would be one of the first to invest, the same as they did it soon after '89-'91 in the all post-communist eastern Europe countries.

Who is the first one, on nearly desert-like market, has very large chance to monopolize it, receiving extraordinary return from investment.

Edited by Sensei

And who says they'd unify with South Korea instead of just merging with China, for example?

I guess it depends how the unification starts and how it happens.

Only reason China would support billions of dollars for unification would not have US ally so close. Hank, if North Korea gets too cray and China does not want the US to go to war with North Korea and have North Korea be pro US than China may jut invade North Korea.

But there is also a problem lot of people from North Korea would have a hard time fitting in with China than South Korea. People may try to cross border and protest in China causing more problems than having a US ally so close to China.

Why would the US pay for it?

The US paid for all other wars and rebuilding. The US paid in Iraq and Afghanistan and else where.

I could see if the US was never involved in Korea war to start with. But they where.

The US paid for all other wars and rebuilding. The US paid in Iraq and Afghanistan and else where.

I could see if the US was never involved in Korea war to start with. But they where.

65 years ago.

Seems to me that South Korea has been rebuilt in that time span. Did the US fund German reunification? We were involved in that war, too. (Pretty sure Germany paid for it)

. (Pretty sure Germany paid for it)

Still are, the reunification tax (solidarity surcharge) is still being deducted. Funnily, it was also introduced to pay for the cost of Operation Desert Storm, which was an unforeseen expense for the German government.

I was watching some documentaries talking about the hardships of North Korea life and unification.

And got me thinking if there was to be unification how will this work? Will the US have to cough of billions and billion of dollars? For many of the North Korean people.

Are you assuming S. Korea is poor? It is 12th in the world rankings for GDP. From what I've read about it, I've not seen any mention of other countries paying for it. The cost would likely be borne by increased taxes on the South Korean population.They have a Ministry of Reunification planning for the time it happens. Ultimately, a unified Korea would create the 7th largest economy globally. I imagine other countries would assist in the immediate humanitarian problems if the N.Korean regime collapsed. Also, reunification would ease the South's military spending.

Edited by StringJunky