Milk fed babies and weight gain.

fay's unKle

Does measured milk in, minus waste out, in newborn babies equals the increase of its weight. There must not be any conservation law violation. Are nitrogen, oxygen etc from air add-up.

Any studies to treat this subject ?

The baby still got skin, so no.

But for the most part, yes.

Does measured milk in, minus waste out, in newborn babies equals the increase of its weight. There must not be any conservation law violation. Are nitrogen, oxygen etc from air add-up.

Any studies to treat this subject ?

Yes, babies follow the laws of thermodynamics but due to the second one there will be some loss. Gases only add if you e.g. weight the full lung. However, humans are unable to fix nitrogen and it is merely gas exchange.

Water and carbon are exhaled, causing loss of mass. This mass loss was found in one of the first rigorous quantitative experiments performed by Santorio, who weighed everything he ate, drunk or excreted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santorio_Santorio

I don't know whether anyone bothered to repeat the experiment on babies. Newborn babies are weighed a lot, and the amount of milk they drink is sometimes logged. Perhaps someone also bothered to weigh the dypers?

It would be pretty hard to properly execute, since babies have the tendency to vomit or excrete matter in the short time between dypers.

CharonY, please tell me, if I changed the word "waste out" with "everything out" would you answer the same way, and then "Gases only add if you e.g. weight the full lung." lets consider the subject 1 to 2 levels higher than this. Where science has reached now aided by technological innovation, measurments of the nature needed for this must be possible not to say easy. I am sorry but I think that we can leave entropy out for our subject matter.

Bender I beleive it may not be so difficult, especially if it is done with the "simplest" of animals in glass tube. To me it's going to be the same. I hope this will not be considered as beeing different matter. It is the same subject matter, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, how could you stay focused on science when there was a baby to play with? :P

Seriously, it would all work out, but as father of five I can attest to Bender's point that babies seem to plot against you containing everything they expel. Once when my 18-year-old was a newborn my wife and I went to a local sandwich shop / sports bar for dinner. There was a table full of college-age guys sitting next to us. My wife held the baby most of the time, but as we got up to leave she handed her to me so that she could gather her purse and stuff. Our daughter (still in the formula/milk fed stage) chose that very moment to throw up massively. She just coated the front of my shirt with it.

The college guys looked like they were scared to death - I have a feeling each one was thinking "Christ, that's going to be me someday."

Fun times.

DELAYED REPLY. This ought to have been written before your very last replies which I didn't read yet.

Bender, doesn't the 8 to 3 ratio in Sentorio case (which seems to be not to bad for a start only) leaves a lot of room for investigation, and at the same time shows that people of knowledge have thoughts in the neiborhood of this subject matter.

Edited by fay's unKle

I DO NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING AS GIVEN.

What precisely is the question? It seems like an odd experiment that does not yield any meaningful insights. Do you expect an unaccounted weight increase or decrease?

First the question is clear.

The claim on the oddness of a possible experiment is unsubstantiated, why it would have been odd. Humanity don't know yet enough to explain VERY MANY things in the human organism. How do you conclude that it will not yield any meaningful insights. If it was, everybody and you would know the proof referring to books or at least published scientific papers. Oddness

In a totally unrelated matter but with a common quantity mass, look what strange, odd things were discovered when people researched odd and offbeat things :

Physics - Focus: The Case of the Disappearing Mass https://physics.aps.org/story/v19/st1

I don't see what you are getting at. Are you suggesting mass isn't conserved?

I don't say anything but I wish I see how they study the subject if they did, and most probably they would have.

When I have time I will search the www to see if there is anything more than Sentorio case, and I mean MORE.

Kiplngram: I don't know anything about animals but I happend somehow to notice a young small cat feeding 5 (five) kitten which doubled their size in about one month. I was wondering where all this milk came from. (because they ate nothing else)

In a totally unrelated matter but with a common quantity mass, look what strange, odd things were discovered when people researched odd and offbeat things :

Physics - Focus: The Case of the Disappearing Mass https://physics.aps.org/story/v19/st1

!

Moderator Note

Yes, it is totally unrelated. Let's try and stay on-topic here.

Water and carbon are exhaled, causing loss of mass. This mass loss was found in one of the first rigorous quantitative experiments performed by Santorio, who weighed everything he ate, drunk or excreted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santorio_Santorio

I don't know whether anyone bothered to repeat the experiment on babies. Newborn babies are weighed a lot, and the amount of milk they drink is sometimes logged. Perhaps someone also bothered to weigh the dypers?

It would be pretty hard to properly execute, since babies have the tendency to vomit or excrete matter in the short time between dypers.

You don't have to measure mass of diapers. You just have to measure mass of body prior poo, and after poo.