White Holes

OK this question isn't given very much thought, but I hope it will bring out some good conversation. Here goes: If there are black Holes sucking up mass, are there white holes spewing it out? If not how does anything escape from black holes? Its kind of depressing to me. Will our universe ever become all sucked into a black hole, and then if it does does it bang out again? Again I apologize for intelligence I lack in this, please don't insult me for it, just answer the question.

A Black Hole must emit particles or they would violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

I dont believe the particles are actually coming from within the black hole, but from the space aboutt he event horizon.

When the M31 galaxy runs into us in a few billion years, there is a possibilty that we will get caught up in its massive black hole or thrown into our own in the center of our galaxy. Chances are, humans wont be around to find out!

Black Holes dont last forever and wont outlast the universe either. They "evaporate" just like anything else that goes without a source of energy for awhile. It may be the end of our galaxy, but not the end of the universe by any means.

Originally posted by NavajoEverclear

So is my white hole idea viable in anyway?

I haven't seen any theory suggesting that they do exist. Black holes don't merely "suck" up matter, they get heavier too, and bigger, and "suck" in more. as has been mentioned, they also evaporate, though the exact mechanism for this is as far as I know unknown, though there are various hypotheses, the most prominent being the creation of virtual particles near the event horizon.

Originally posted by atinymonkey

Isn't that white hole your talking about a Sun? That would be the opposite of a black hole.

Not really, that's not a 'hole' as such, it's just a big ball of hydrogen and company*.

*There's a sitcom in that.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

a white hole would dissipate instantaneously if it had the opposite characteristics of a black hole.

Yes, but the thing he's imagining is a star rather than the literal opposite of a black hole, surely...?

Ok, haven't read all the posts because they all seemed boring and dullwitted. So heres my thoughts. A black hole is cnstantly emitting molecules and stuff, and sucking in stuff. That is why there isn't very many black holes, for most spew more than they suck, and thus they are unstable and fall apart. A stable but neutralblack hole,(ones that inactive,) is spewing as much as its sucking, so it does not grow, and the growing ones are spewing les then they suck and therefore they grow. So you see, there would be no need for white holes. Plus, white holes are physical impossible. For if something were to reflect absolutley everything that came near it, it would explode or emplode.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

well the two phenomenon are entirely different, and not really comparable. besides, if he is describing a star, it would be just as easy to call it "a star"

That's kind of my point.

Stop trying to think like an astrophysicist for 5 seconds and appreciate the humour of the thread to date. IT'S GREAT!

It's just funny, there's no other way around the fact that a big white black hole that shoots out stuff is a star. Even if it's not.

And so on and so forth.

I don't think that saying a star is not the opposite of a black hole because a star is not a hole is a valid contrast, because a black hole is not a hole either. It's a star of sorts. Squished up and freaky-weird, but still a star. Well bits of it anyway.

So heres my thoughts. A black hole is cnstantly emitting molecules and stuff

Nope

That is why there isn't very many black holes, for most spew more than they suck, and thus they are unstable and fall apart

There arent very many black holes because it takes a) special equipment and b) astrophysicists who eat data for breakfast to properly map and chart them. Plus they require a star of a certain size to collapse which themselves arent thin on the ground.

For if something were to reflect absolutley everything that came near it, it would explode or emplode

Consider antigravity. why would it implode?

Aside: on the topic of annihilation, i was in a bar last night and noticed that when a large spotty ugly female went up to an extremely attractive and gorgeous woman, they seemd to repel each other, refusing to talk. I kept on watching the situation (well, kept on watching the little fox that was wearing a skirt that could have doubled as a belt:D ) and as the two finally came together a cat fight instantly developed. the ensuing fracas destroyed beer bottles and a table until the bouncer came over. Im thinking antiugly meets ugly. any thoughts?

well strictly the hole itself doesn't since nothing can escape once it has passed over the EH.

If you take the virtual particle argument (because I don't know any other) then they are created in the vincinity of the hole just outside the EH, and some escape the hole's pull.