Tipping

Itoero

It is almost unheard of for me not to tip at all - there has to be a very real, very severe problem that I associate with the waitperson and not with any other part of the operation. That's happened perhaps twice in my life. Someone has to really, REALLY foul up to cause me not to tip. I most commonly vary from "standard" tipping to "premium" tipping. If the waitperson has added to the quality of my meal with a pleasant interaction that leans me toward premium. The most common way to lose premium points is if I pay with cash and the waitperson brings me change in a way that looks like it's designed to force me into a large tip.

And yes, I've been guilty on occasion of tipping extra large because of a waitresses attractiveness. Sue me - I'm human.

I have lived in countries where tipping is very unusual (so you will get a big thank you if you leave a tip) or non-existent (I have been followed out of a restaurant by the waiter to give me the money back). I have also lived in places where it is pretty much required (I can imagine a waiter following you out of a restaurant in the US, to ask where their tip is!)

Wow, that would be a pretty forward waiter. Although I had an experience sort of like that a few months ago. We have a favorite Chinese place that we'd ordered from for years. Then we moved to a new house that was sort of far from them. They are still willing to deliver to us, though, and we really appreciate it. So I always tip the drive quite generously. Super nice guy that always shows up in a shirt and tie. :)

Anyway, this once a few months ago I was distracted and forgot to right in a tip. I hadn't even realized - probably would have later and would have felt awful. A few minutes later he called from his car and asked if I'd meant to give one. I guess he knew that we *always* did and figured it must have been a mistake. So I told him what to write in and he did so. So he fort of "followed me outside," so to speak, but there was a strong history for him to base the expectation on.

Last night I gave the biggest tip I have ever given... mainly because the waitress remembered me from a long time back and seemed pleased to see me... she is usually lovey anyway... she also told me it was her birthday last week, so I gave her a tenner on top of my 20 quid bill. She seemed quite pleased... and she is so so cute.. I'm a total sucker for a 33 year old who looks about 20.

I realise that this might be considered sexism in a way... if it had been a waiter rather than a waitress I very much doubt I would have tipped him a tenner... even if it was his birthday and he blinked at me with those massive big brown eyes.

Last night I gave the biggest tip I have ever given... mainly because the waitress remembered me from a long time back and seemed pleased to see me... she is usually lovey anyway... she also told me it was her birthday last week, so I gave her a tenner on top of my 20 quid bill. She seemed quite pleased... and she is so so cute.. I'm a total sucker for a 33 year old who looks about 20.

I realise that this might be considered sexism in a way... if it had been a waiter rather than a waitress I very much doubt I would have tipped him a tenner... even if it was his birthday and he blinked at me with those massive big brown eyes.

We are human - some people might call you sexist, but frankly, who cares? Flirting with cute waitresses is one of life's pleasures.

There are "Waiter's Revenge" stories out there. By and large nobody is going to do anything illegal or to jeopardize their jobs, but you really don't want to be a repeat customer somewhere you haven't been tipping at(or leaving exceptionally low tips).

I think it's different in the UK - Tips aren't or never used to be compulsory or expected. These days it is expected I think for restaurant staff.

It used to be customary when I was younger to tip the taxi drivers, video man and hairdressers.... that was it. Tips for waiters were for posh restaurants not cafes... It's different now and tips are expected everywhere more or less.

• 2 weeks later...