Anyone know what this is?

hypervalent_iodine

In another forum I frequent, a member posted the following image as an argument regarding the difference between synthetic and naturally sourced vitamin C. It's obviously rubbish, but I'm really struggling to tell what the pictures are actually of. I posted in this section as it looks very vaguely biology-ish...I really am at a loss.

post-35291-0-43937100-1493986801_thumb.jpeg

In another forum I frequent, a member posted the following image as an argument regarding the difference between synthetic and naturally sourced vitamin C. It's obviously rubbish, but I'm really struggling to tell what the pictures are actually of. I posted in this section as it looks very vaguely biology-ish...I really am at a loss.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

While doing some investigation, it turns out it's what it is... nothing.

I did a google image search of this image and it resulted in a similar picture with a similar intent, which most likely means it is connected to the source.

whole-food-supplement.jpg

Now, I then found the page that had this image, which was http://alaskahealth.info/clinical-nutrition/(link for purpose of evidence).

They made reference to what they called Nutrition Response Testing. I then investigated that and came up with the following page: http://www.unsinc.info/nutrition-response-testing.html

To consider the credibility of the source, I went to the homepage, and the following excerpt was there:

Become known as a healer

In this website you will find the keys to bring true wellness to your community and become known as a true healer. You will find out about Nutrition Response Testing®, which is the culmination of decades of work by Freddie Ulan, DC, CCN. Designed for chiropractors, it works equally well in conjunction with any valid healing methodology. For training opportunities, see our Calendar of Events.

The origin of Nutrition Response Testing

When a serious illness in 1991 threatened to end his life, Dr. Ulan tried every treatment modality available at that time to get well.

No system he tried could arrest his decline. The relief from adjustments was increasingly short-lived. Months of trial and error with supplements were not an option. His survival literally depended on how quickly he could discover the body’s priorities and how quickly and precisely he could handle them.

The phrase "true healer" caught my eye of quackery, and I looked up anything related to this and came up with the following page: https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/cra.html

Conclusion: As far as I am aware, it isn't showing anything but what is to present a conclusion about pseudoscience. Even the pages that use it don't explain what it is even showing. As far as I am aware, it's merely imagery akin to the placebo effect.

Maybe I'm wrong. Someone else can chime in if need be.

Well it clearly can't be a microscopic picture of a cell or a molecule... so is it a picture of the substance dripped onto a piece of chromatic plate? Maybe it has spread from the centre showing components? If so then, as you would expect, there is more in the plant extract than in the purer synthesised stuff.... lol - could it then be argued that the synthetic stuff is actually in a purer form than the natural one. lol - that will go down well.

Although I am just guessing here. Maybe it is worth asking the OP what the pictures are actually off?

PS - Unity beat me to the reply and has actually looked the pics up... are we sure it isn't a chromatograph though?

Edited by DrP

If I had to guess I would say that they ar very badly done chromatography - you know the sort you did in first year at school with a round filter paper and a drop of ink in the centre. The scalloping on the left hand samples look as if the filter paper was crumpled/pleated as if in a cone shape

Edited by imatfaal
xposted with DrP

Well it clearly can't be a microscopic picture of a cell or a molecule... so is it a picture of the substance dripped onto a piece of chromatic plate? Maybe it has spread from the centre showing components? If so then, as you would expect, there is more in the plant extract than in the purer synthesised stuff.... lol - could it then be argued that the synthetic stuff is actually in a purer form than the natural one. lol - that will go down well.

Although I am just guessing here. Maybe it is worth asking the OP what the pictures are actually off?

PS - Unity beat me to the reply and has actually looked the pics up... are we sure it isn't a chromatograph though?

After some more research, it is a chromatogram it is being claimed.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wholefood-vs-synthetic-supplements-what-does-all-mean-dale-rutherford

EDIT: I think both are synonymous, but I wouldn't be sure.

Edited by Unity+

Well that would be obvious then - you wouldn't expect the natural one to look the same as the isolated ingredient. It is full of impurities and all manner of other stuff. lol.

I wonder what they will make of the pure vit C sample being an 'organic' molecule.

At the end of the day - maybe there is more goodness in the fruit due to their being more stuff in it... it isn't extra vit C though - it will be a number of other things with it.

Thanks, all. Good investigating.

The OP's response for clarification was this:

Again, my image compares artificial vs natural vitamins.

See how you said ascorbic acid was the same as natural vitamin C? This picture is saying the opposite. Read the text in between the image and you will see what I mean.

So completely meaningless. This is from a parrot forum (I have lovebirds) in a thread about diet. Research is a bit thin on the ground regarding optimal diet for all the various psciattacines people own, so threads on it can get a bit silly.

"A chromatograph picture of natural Vitamin C. Notice how much more dynamic is the pattern formed by the moving fluid"

Looks more like a high level of impurities.

Thanks, all. Good investigating.

The OP's response for clarification was this:

See how you said ascorbic acid was the same as natural vitamin C? This picture is saying the opposite.

The picture may say the opposite but that doesn't stop vitamin C actually being ascorbic acid. It is a single compound and so does not (cannot) contain bio-flavonoids.

Another thing I would wonder is what do they mean by 'orange juice' and 'popular orange drink'? Does it mean pulp and non-pulp? Vague terms, I must say.

Who knows. The link she posted with the image is even more perplexing: http://healthsachoice.com/supplements/are-synthetic-and-natural-vitamins-the-same/

Ask here where she got her biology degree.

I have a suspicion she is still in school, so I'm trying not to be too harsh.

Looks more like a high level of impurities.

The picture may say the opposite but that doesn't stop vitamin C actually being ascorbic acid. It is a single compound and so does not (cannot) contain bio-flavonoids.

Yes, this was my biggest gripe with it. Besides it being plain hogwash

When you look at the synthetic ascorbic acid you will see just concentric circles but in the natural you will see “Life Force” or lines dissiminating from the center.

ruuc896a4b198.jpg

If I had to guess I would say that they ar very badly done chromatography - you know the sort you did in first year at school with a round filter paper and a drop of ink in the centre. The scalloping on the left hand samples look as if the filter paper was crumpled/pleated as if in a cone shape

It is in fact literally called paper chromatography (a variation of thin layer chromatography). If done correctly it is actually not to shabby for quick purity assessments. Though obviously one should have an idea what is going on there...

Edited by CharonY