searching for skype- and msn-pals

Manifold

Hi World!!!

If you happen to use SKYPE or MSN-messenger, feel free to skype or msn me...both audio and video chat is possible!

I'm a Russian living in Germany. I'd like to practice English with people from all over the globe...and you can also pick up some Russian and German if you wish to!

My interests: science, mathematics, sports, world cultures, languages and computers.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers,

Manifold

Skype-name: symplectic_manifold; MSN-account: symplectic_manifold@msn.com

Well, I didn't mean chatrooms. Skype is internet-telephony...one-to-one call. I'm not sure, but there is a limit to the number of users that can take part in a conference at a time...I think it's 5 or so...so it's not a public party but a private conversation.

As you perhaps heard MSN closed down all its chatrooms due to obscene behaviour of the participants, so it became more like a telephone service too.

If you get to know the other person (me e.g.) well enough to trust him, I can't see any reason why you should not use the chance to chat with him.

I can also prove your father that I'm a good guy! :)

Cheers!

It´ll be rather hard to know someone well enough to trust him if he´s living on the other end of the planet and is only known to you by a fake name in an internet forum ;) . What´s a german high school student, btw ?

I agree, but then the prospect of being stuck indoors and denying any contact with a representator of the global community is by no means attractive, at least for me.

One should be careful, that's all. You learn about a person in a forum like this, and you can drop it anytime all as soon as you notice something suspicious about him while chatting. I still can't get what the problem actually is.

Forums are much more passive, if it comes to exchanging ideas, and espacially scientific ones, that's why I wouldn't fully turn down live conversations. Both things are interchangeable. In my opinion, the best way to learn more about this world is by learning people from different cultures, with different views and so on. Internet gives all the necessary tools, fantastic tools! By talking live to somebody you get the emotional side of one's personality, but you cannot do it in the forum...smilies are by far not enough.

So I'll stick to my opinion that Bettina's father is wrong. :)

I agree' date=' but then the prospect of being stuck indoors and denying any contact with a representator of the global community is by no means attractive, at least for me.

One should be careful, that's all. You learn about a person in a forum like this, and you can drop it anytime all as soon as you notice something suspicious about him while chatting. I still can't get what the problem actually is.

Forums are much more passive, if it comes to exchanging ideas, and espacially scientific ones, that's why I wouldn't fully turn down live conversations. Both things are interchangeable. In my opinion, the best way to learn more about this world is by learning people from different cultures, with different views and so on. Internet gives all the necessary tools, fantastic tools! By talking live to somebody you get the emotional side of one's personality, but you cannot do it in the forum...smilies are by far not enough.

So I'll stick to my opinion that Bettina's father is wrong. :)[/quote']

I won't argue your position. He lets me go to forums like this one, a game forum, a teen forum, and a psychology forum, and a mental health forum. He is very against one on one chat room stuff. I don't push it cause it took a long time to convince him that forums aren't like chat rooms. He's very protective, though I am of him too, like what I won't let him eat. :)

Bettina

Forums and MSN (and other) messengers aren't chat rooms. Forums have people where you are talking about something specific and they have mods and admins so everything stays structured and dosen't wonder, and messengers you are talking to people you know.

Chat rooms are places where random people talk about random stuff with without any kind of structure. Anyone can get on them and talk about anything.

He's very protective, though I am of him too, like what I won't let him eat.

Well, despite my opinion expressed above, what I think is that you're lucky to have such a father, who cares about his daughter and doesn't let her to be brought up by the bad side of this world and become something like a crazy party girl...and your father, in turn, is lucky to have such a daughter...big respect for your family! :)