superluminal communication, with gravity?

FictonWrite99

I want to write a sci-fi short story, and want to use a possible method of superluminal communication (Communicating with someone faster then light)

I am no scientist and literally just searched "Science Forum" so feel free to correct me. Here i go.

A personal theory that i could not find anywhere else on the internet was using gravity. Let me explain

If you could change the amount of gravity quickly in you're location then someone many light years away would instantly be effected by that gravity.

So if the dude light years away could bounce a laser of a planet and very accurately measure difference of planet orbit because of gravity far away one could communicate effectively

faster than light...

If that is a bit confusing i tried to make a plan trough a picture attached to this thread.

Or maybe there is some newton law that ruins everything, That dude is always messing up my cool sci-fi stories!

http://imgur.com/a/sY9OU

post-128936-0-21169700-1493762178_thumb.jpg

Edited by FictonWrite99

Except gravity doesn't propagate faster than light. Gravity propagates at the same speed light does, c. If it helps, you can think of gravity as being the same thing as light, but gravitons instead, however there has not yet been any evidence such particles exist, as of yet.

I want to write a sci-fi short story, and want to use a possible method of superluminal communication (Communicating with someone faster then light)

I am no scientist and literally just searched "Science Forum" so feel free to correct me. Here i go.

A personal theory that i could not find anywhere else on the internet was using gravity. Let me explain

If you could change the amount of gravity quickly in you're location then someone many light years away would instantly be effected by that gravity.

So if the dude light years away could bounce a laser of a planet and very accurately measure difference of planet orbit because of gravity far away one could communicate effectively

faster than light...

If that is a bit confusing i tried to make a plan trough a picture attached to this thread.

Or maybe there is some newton law that ruins everything, That dude is always messing up my cool sci-fi stories!

Well, props for trying and admitting that it might not be possible.

But yes, it won't be possible because the laser that measures the gravity is only moving as fast as light.

Therefore, the message would only be received as fast as light.

Now since it's a sci-fi story, and you can do anything, how about just saying it goes into a sub dimension(doesn't exist) and suddenly appears at the other side?

Well, props for trying and admitting that it might not be possible.

But yes, it won't be possible because the laser that measures the gravity is only moving as fast as light.

Therefore, the message would only be received as fast as light.

Now since it's a sci-fi story, and you can do anything, how about just saying it goes into a sub dimension(doesn't exist) and suddenly appears at the other side?

To be fair: the laser only travels a much shorter distance, so if gravity moved faster than light, the laser could detect it faster than light could travel the entire distance.

Of course, it is all moot, since gravity doesn't move faster than light, as explained by Mathematical.

If it's true that big bang cosmology implies a high degree of entanglement and entanglement builds space time then if you can somehow find entangled macroscopic objects which are light years separated, then perhaps you can create a system in which a change in gravity is instantly felt many light years apart.

There are a lot of ifs :)

Edited by Itoero

For a SF story you can use advanced waves from the Wheeler-Feynman absorber theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler%E2%80%93Feynman_absorber_theory

According to the WF theory, if electromagnetic radiation of a certain wavelength is not completely absorbed by the matter of the universe, than some amount of advanced waves could be detected before their emission. With advanced waves you can have instantaneous communication at a distance which is in conformity with relativity since all interactions take place at the speed of light. Earth-Mars communication with advanced waves, when they are separated by 20 light minutes, would go like this:

A Message sent from Earth at 12:00 will arrive at Mars by advanced waves at a time 2r/c before the arrival of the retarded wave (12:20). Hence it will arrive at 11:40. The response from Mars will arrive at Earth by retarded waves 20 minutes later, at 12:00, therefore instantly. By advanced waves it will arrive at Earth at 11:20, 40 minutes before first message is sent.