Spin-off of "People don't need religion..."

NimrodTheGoat

"People don't need religion anymore because their lives are too easy. The standard of living has gone up." - My history teacher. What do you guys think?

The status update thing whatever was locked. I should have started this as a new thread instead. :P Anyways, what do you guys think? I would like to hear (or rather read) your opinions.

Depends where you live in the world...

Some people need hope - which religion offers I suppose - but why give hope through lies? Can't we all just be nice to each other and help each other out without the threat of punishment if we don't?

Depends where you live in the world...

Some people need hope - which religion offers I suppose - but why give hope through lies? Can't we all just be nice to each other and help each other out without the threat of punishment if we don't?

Yes.

As you can see, everybody does that right?

Yes.

As you can see, everybody does that right?

Not really - A hell of a lot of them seem to want to kill each other over who has the best imaginary friend... it's fucking chaos. One day... maybe soon, maybe in a few hundred years or so, when the whole world is educated to the facts about the fact they have been lied to by their rulers for control purposes, we might be able to put this imaginary friend bullshit behind us and move on in love and peace and harmony... if the religious nuts or despot tyrants don't nuke us all first. :-(

Some people need hope - which religion offers I suppose - but why give hope through lies?

Because sometimes hope needs a hook, much like education/science needs a base on which to balance understanding.

Can't we all just be nice to each other and help each other out without the threat of punishment if we don't?

That would be nice and it's what the majority of humans do (despite the threat), but what do we do with the minority of humans that take advantage of the majorities sense of fair play?

but what do we do with the minority of humans that take advantage of the majorities sense of fair play?

We have law systems in place... as we approach a more utopic society we could de-select the violent and the cheats from our gene pool... not buy implementing anti breeding laws or anything as horrific as that... hopefully as we progress, the violent and predatory traits that we have needed to survive as a species will stop being attractive traits to mates and loving and caring partners will be preferred and selected. Society is already changing.... I think it will take a long time... evolution seems to take a very long time - I think we (Humans) are in our infancy as a civilization. :-(

On the bright side - it is very interesting to watch and see what happens. We have moved forward a lot over the last few decades, let alone the last few millennia.

I don't think we need religion (not anymore) but many people are in need for spirituality.

Religion helped us to get where we are now.

Some people will always need hope, it doesn't have to come from religion but where else do they look?