how to turn a believer

jfoldbar

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, Raider5678 said:

They were told not to. Very specifically told not to eat from that tree.

Says the same book that says that all the animals were put 2x2 on a boat and that the earth was made in 6 days and that Methuselah was 900 years old.

How do you personally decide which bits to ignore as obvious rubbish and what bits to believe?

5 hours ago, DrP said:

Says the same book that says that all the animals were put 2x2 on a boat and that the earth was made in 6 days and that Methuselah was 900 years old.

How do you personally decide which bits to ignore as obvious rubbish and what bits to believe?

If God can create the universe and life, then all these things should be minor miracles by comparison.

4 hours ago, Eric H said:

If God can create the universe and life, then all these things should be minor miracles by comparison.

Hmmm, and yet avoiding confusion about his very existence or writing an unambiguous book is beyond his powers.

25 minutes ago, Bender said:

Hmmm, and yet avoiding confusion about his very existence or writing an unambiguous book is beyond his powers.

I recall a joke once:

God: "How do I convince humans the bible is real and I exist... Hmmmm. Oh! I know! I'll motivate a scientist to climb Mount Everest, and while he's up there I'll let him stumble across some seashells! That'll convince them the flood obviously happened. How else could seashells get to the top of Mount Everest?"

*scientist climbs Mount Everest and brings seashells back*

Scientist talking to other scientists: "Mount Everest must have sprung up out of the ground over billions of years. There's no other possible conclusion."

Image result for god facepalm

Edited by Raider5678

Just now, Bender said:

I was assuming it was a joke by bible literalists about scientists, in which  case it only works if you don't. Perhaps I misinterpreted the context?

Dude.

It's a joke.

Don't overthink it, look at the humor, and laugh.

4 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

Dude.

It's a joke.

This joke makes God look really dumb. How's that funny?  I mean making God look so silly, coming from anybody else on this site I would understand, but you Raider?! :P 

Edited by koti

4 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

Dude.

It's a joke.

I did. In the context of this thread, I just wanted to make sure you knew it was a smug, slowly shaking my head, kind of laugh. 

On 20.03.2018 at 11:44 PM, Raider5678 said:

Scientist talking to other scientists: "Mount Everest must have sprung up out of the ground over billions of years. There's no other possible conclusion."

Such scientists I would call uneducated.. ;) because collision of Indian plate with Eurasian plate happened just recently, in Cenozoic. It started around 36 mln years ago. Not like you said "billions of years ago".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_the_Himalaya

image.gif.c1ab559d21e23feacdba3ff8dac4a255.gif

Edited by Sensei

On 3/9/2018 at 10:41 AM, dimreepr said:

How do you argue Pascal's wager?

I would simply ask which god... 

Many here keep saying the word God... which god? There are over a thousand or so worshiped by humans, some are objectively real others are only real in the mind of the people who believe in them. I think that before anyone calls the name of god as evidence for something they should define and show evidence of the god they define. Otherwise we are all just spitting into the wind... 

22 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Many here keep saying the word God... which god? There are over a thousand or so worshiped by humans, some are objectively real others are only real in the mind of the people who believe in them. I think that before anyone calls the name of god as evidence for something they should define and show evidence of the god they define. Otherwise we are all just spitting into the wind... 

I like the name "Creator of the Universe"...

6 hours ago, Moontanman said:

The subsequent posts provide context.

7 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Many here keep saying the word God... which god? There are over a thousand or so worshiped by humans, some are objectively real others are only real in the mind of the people who believe in them.

We can't change God the creator of all that is seen and unseen, just because we worship seemingly different gods. The same God hears all our prayers despite our differences. We have a duty to care for all of God's creation; and that has to mean caring for each other despite our differences.

I think that before anyone calls the name of god as evidence for something they should define and show evidence of the god they define

Sadly this is pretty near impossible, Christianity would make more senses if there were thousands of Jesus Christs; one for each of our denominations; we can't even agree amongst ourselves. I live in hope that we are changing. In our town; Christians are praying together; and finding ways to help people in need.

Edited by Eric H

2 minutes ago, Eric H said:

We can't change God the creator of all that is seen and unseen, just because we worship seemingly different gods. The same God hears all our prayers despite our differences.

Do you not realise how bizarrely illogical this statement is?

What if your god is the wrong one, and someone else's is the true creator?

My point would be that all religions cannot possibly be real.  To realistically talk about anything being of part of reality you first have to demonstrate what you're calling god.

Natives on a remote island might worship s strangely shaped rock, to them it's real, they can show it to you. They can regale you stories of people who were cured by touching the stone. Of course not everyone is healed, only those who truly believe are healed at a rate comparable to people who do not worship the rock.,

So the real problem becomes how do we decide what god is. Let's say 7 billion people suddenly decide to worship the rock. 

Some say we should wash the bird excrement of every day, some say we should offer the best crops to this god, others think the rock likes the smell of burning meat so piles dead animals are burned around god .

and yet the rock remains a rock and no studies, no tests, no amount of prayer, no amount of crying and wailing has any effect what so ever on the rock...

This is religion in it's purest form...

Edited by Moontanman

5 hours ago, Moontanman said:

My point would be that all religions cannot possibly be real.

Of course, they are.

To realistically talk about anything being of part of reality you first have to demonstrate what you're calling god.

This is religion in it's purest form...

To realistically demonstrate all religions (with a God) are the same and equally invalid you must show why/how (a god is necessary) it's not just a misinterpretation of a written intention that has gone through (orders of magnitude) Chinese whispers. For instance, Hank may have been true to his word but Carl fucked it up because he wanted his arse kissed too, and that's just 1 degree of separation.

Edited by dimreepr