Do plants like music?

tkadm30

Is there any peer-reviewed scientific studies done on the effect of music on plant growth?

I found one link to a paper here entitled

Measuring Effects of Music, Noise, and Healing Energy Using a Seed Germination Bioassay

Unfortunately it is published in the

The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine

So I'll display a certain bias and guess that it is total bollocks. Might be wrong.

I also found this paper interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27665921

I had to google arabidopsis. It doesn't really surprise me that music has an effect, because any air disturbance encourages a plant to become stronger (that's just a gardener's assertion based on personal experience). The opposite is certainly the case, that a plant grown indoors with no air movement often can't cope with being out on the open.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is totally bullshit. I have no idea about physical size of this event. But plants need Gibberellin or maybe Auxin for grow, not notes! Maybe it is possible when we can see any receptors , but i guess, there is no receptors for music in plants.

I think this is totally bullshit. I have no idea about physical size of this event. But plants need Gibberellin or maybe Auxin for grow, not notes! Maybe it is possible when we can see any receptors , but i guess, there is no receptors for music in plants.

You are confusing "need" and "benefit from". I have seen myself that plants which experience some air movement benefit from it by developing stronger stems. It is unlikely, but not entirely unreasonable to suggest that music could provide the same benefit.

You are confusing "need" and "benefit from". I have seen myself that plants which experience some air movement benefit from it by developing stronger stems. It is unlikely, but not entirely unreasonable to suggest that music could provide the same benefit.

Maybe, but air movement can provide necessary gasses or thing for plant, or changing weather conditions can warn stem evolution. But i am not sure for music. OK, maybe it can be possible with voice energy, but how? I don't see any physiological factors.

If our subject were animals, ok. But we talk about plants, there isn't any unit for handle music, so we should argue more deeply about it.