Thoughts on the diagnosis systems, transdiagnostic approach etc.

nasu

Hi,

I'm new at this page so can tell me if this topic has already been talked about.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of thoughts do you have about diagnosis systems. Do you think it is a good way of approaching mental health problems in practice? Is it a good starting point when starting treatment such as psychotherapy, or might there be another way of approaching mental issues?

I'm currently an undergrad student in psychology and will be doing my bachelors' thesis next year (i study at a university in Northern Europe). In some of our courses there's been discussion about a more dimensional approach to mental health issues, as an alternative to the diagnosis system. Transdiagnostic theory is proposing the new approach ( i remind you that i remember this from lectures, i haven't read the actual articles). It's been told to us in a very abstract level still, im not sure how it would go in practice. The diagnosis system is so categorical but yet there's lots of overlap shown to be among disorders. Do you have some knowledge on this new approach of dimensionality instead of categories?

And maybe the diagnosis systems also guide the professionals thoughts when assessing, perhaps a more dimensional approach could make the assessing more specific for the individual. For example in depression-diagnosis, theres so many different symptoms there but one only needs to have a certain amount of them to be diagnosed depressed. That means that there can be a variety of different symptom combinations among ppl diagnosed with depression.

Also, maybe there ought to be more emphasis to causes and such in mental health assessment, not just on symptoms? I dont have a clear picture on how the diagnostic systems (ICD, DSM) have been developed in the first place, but we've also been told about research domain criteria (RDoC) which is to my knowledge aiming to create a new classification system based on research from multiple different areas of research like cognitive science and neuroscience.

Sorry this was more of a stream of thought, but if something i was talking about brought something in your mind, i would be really interested and glad to hear about it! (: And i realise my thoughts might be quite at the beginning since ive only studied at uni for a couple of years, ive no idea how much this topic is talked about.

Here's some random articles i found from one of our courses lecture slides, i haven't read them completetely so not sure what they're like.

A Heuristic for Developing Transdiagostic Models of Psychopathology

Explaining Multifinality and Divergent Trajectories

Susan Nolen-Hoeksema, Edward R. Watkins

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1745691611419672

New dimensions in the quantitative classification of mental illness.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21969458

Research Domain Criteria: toward future psychiatric nosologies

Bruce N. Cuthbert

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4421905/