Color Blindness

Derps

This is kind of an idiotic question, and I really don't belong on this forum as I'm only fourteen and have next to no knowledge of Science, but is it possible to see a certain kind of color blindness using something, or to erase color blindness? Because someone I know sees green as yellow and yellow as green and I want to see what they see, or for them to see normally. I know there's EnChroma glasses they can wear to, I think, correct their vision.. but I don't know. Sorry if I sound stupid..

There are different types of colour blindness.

The light receptors at the back of the eye ( retina ) are deficient to varying degrees in a small group of people and this makes seeing certain colours more difficult as they appear 'washed out'. Try Wiki for a general explanation.

You belong on this forum as much as anyone else. There are no 'stupid' questions, and if you want to learn ( and add your input ) this is a good place for it.

Welcome; hope you stick around.

There are different types of colour blindness.

The light receptors at the back of the eye ( retina ) are deficient to varying degrees in a small group of people and this makes seeing certain colours more difficult as they appear 'washed out'. Try Wiki for a general explanation.

You belong on this forum as much as anyone else. There are no 'stupid' questions, and if you want to learn ( and add your input ) this is a good place for it.

Welcome; hope you stick around.

I already know there's different types and I think I get the general idea of how color blindness works, I guess, but I want to know if there's any way for her to see properly other than EnChroma glasses or if I could see the way she sees. She sees yellow as green and green as yellow. BUT, she can see very light shades of yellow and green from what she told me (I tested her myself, I showed her different values of green and yellow and asked if she could see any of them properly and... yeah). Do you know what kind of color blindness she has? From what I've seen none of them match hers, or maybe I just didn't search deep enough. And thanks :)

I have colour blindness because of retinal degeneration.

I see less difference between colours.

Green-yellow colour blindness is pretty rare I think.

Can she see red-green and blue-yellow?

Red Green and blue yellow? What do you mean? And isn't there anything I can do about it :( I really want her to be able to see properly, I feel bad for her I don't know why..

I am confused, Derps, by your description of your friend's condition. You say that she sees yellow as green and green as yellow. That means that she can distinguish between yellow and green. She sees them as different colours. That is not colour blindness.

For example, red-green colour blindness is a common form. People with this are unable to distinguish a red object from a green object. They appear to them as the same colour.

Your friend just seems to be confused as to what to call certain colours, but is able to distinguish one form the other. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, so please correct me if possible.

I am confused, Derps, by your description of your friend's condition. You say that she sees yellow as green and green as yellow. That means that she can distinguish between yellow and green. She sees them as different colours. That is not colour blindness.

For example, red-green colour blindness is a common form. People with this are unable to distinguish a red object from a green object. They appear to them as the same colour.

Your friend just seems to be confused as to what to call certain colours, but is able to distinguish one form the other. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, so please correct me if possible.

No. She sees the color yellow as the color green. The grass is yellow for her, the sun is green, gold is green, bananas are green, cheese is green, popcorn I'm sure is green, too. She sees them reversed. Anything that is actually yellow, she sees that color as the color green. If something is actually green, she sees it as yellow.

http://imgur.com/a/EtG26

I went on Paint.net (paint software) and put different shades of green. She knows that she sees green as yellow and yellow as green, and so I asked her which ones look yellow to her. She said all but 1, 2, and 3 look yellow. So for her she would be seeing something like this:

http://imgur.com/a/lR7ct

She can see super light shades of yellow and green properly I think. But if it's a regular color or darker, she seems them as opposite. Please try to understand..

I even made her do a color blind test online which I scored perfectly on and she couldn't see any numbers in some.. one of her friends even sent an image to her that says something like Fuck Colorblind People but it was made like one of those color blind tests so she couldn't see the text..

I don't know if this has the right colors but this is basically what she was sent:

http://imgur.com/a/Y6ew8

She also uses a color blind filter on Minecraft and I think possibly her phone or PC or something so that she can see yellow and green properly as everyone else sees them.

Edited by Derps

I don't quite understand...

If she sees greens as yellows and yellows as greens ( which doesn't happen with colour blindness ) she would still be able to see that nasty message. She would simply see green text on a yellow background instead of yellow text on a green background.

Did all the adults in her life play a mean trick on her by telling her, since she was little, that the colour yellow is 'green' and the colour green is 'yellow' ?

Red Green and blue yellow? What do you mean? And isn't there anything I can do about it :( I really want her to be able to see properly, I feel bad for her I don't know why..

There are treatments evolving to regrow/repair nerve tissue to increase sight...some of those treatments can probably reduce colour blindness. But she needs to see a capable neuro ophthalmologist to make sure she is colour blind.

Aren't her parents helping her?

There are treatments evolving to regrow/repair nerve tissue to increase sight...some of those treatments can probably reduce colour blindness. But she needs to see a capable neuro ophthalmologist to make sure she is colour blind.

Aren't her parents helping her?

I don't quite understand...

If she sees greens as yellows and yellows as greens ( which doesn't happen with colour blindness ) she would still be able to see that nasty message. She would simply see green text on a yellow background instead of yellow text on a green background.

Did all the adults in her life play a mean trick on her by telling her, since she was little, that the colour yellow is 'green' and the colour green is 'yellow' ?

No her parents are assholes. They barely care about her, and they're pretty poor. No she can't see the text. I don't understand. And no she took a color blindness test as I said and it told her she had color blindness ( I think it was the Enchroma one on their website ) and she showed me the ones that she couldn't see.

She can see super light shades of yellow and green properly I think. But if it's a regular color or darker, she seems them as opposite. Please try to understand..

I Think I found something that might explain why green-yellow and why she can see the difference when it's very light.

"Seeing yellow is what happens when BOTH the green AND red cones are highly excited near their peak sensitivity. This is the biggest collective excitement that your cones ever have, aside from seeing pure white. Notice that yellow occurs at peak intensity in the graph to the right. Further, the lens and cornea of the eye happen to block shorter wavelengths, reducing sensitivity to blue and violet light. This, combined with the neuronal nirvana resulting from the overlapping sensitivity of the red and green cones, is why yellow appears to be the brightest color in the spectrum, making it a unique and useful color."

A65P2Ze.png

I don't know what this really means...

Perhaps you can mail a neuro ophthalmologist.

I Think I found something that might explain why green-yellow and why she can see the difference when it's very light.

"Seeing yellow is what happens when BOTH the green AND red cones are highly excited near their peak sensitivity. This is the biggest collective excitement that your cones ever have, aside from seeing pure white. Notice that yellow occurs at peak intensity in the graph to the right. Further, the lens and cornea of the eye happen to block shorter wavelengths, reducing sensitivity to blue and violet light. This, combined with the neuronal nirvana resulting from the overlapping sensitivity of the red and green cones, is why yellow appears to be the brightest color in the spectrum, making it a unique and useful color."

A65P2Ze.png

I don't know what this really means...

Perhaps you can mail a neuro ophthalmologist.

Why would they help? How would I get into contact with one (free and online)?

Why would they help? How would I get into contact with one (free and online)?

Many univercities have a departement that specializes in eye-related research. Most of them have websites with contactinfo.

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/eye-hospital/default.aspx

I contacted them a couple times and got an answer pretty fast.

Another in San Diego: http://eyesite.ucsd.edu/contact-us

You have to be a bit lucky to get help via e-mail.

Hmm - it does sound like she has just been taught yellow is green and green is yellow.

My friend had the Red/Green one... we played golf and he used a red tee.... after his shot he couldn't see the tee.... "It's right there in front of you" I told him, but it was invisible to him until he felt around for it.

It might be.

But if this is true: "She can see super light shades of yellow and green properly I think. But if it's a regular color or darker, she seems them as opposite. Please try to understand"

then she might have a sensitivity related problem because the eye is most sensitive for yellow and I think a bit less sensitive for green.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/56291-is-it-yellow-green-or-yellow-green-color-to-which-human-eye-is-most-sensitive/

It might be.

But if this is true: "She can see super light shades of yellow and green properly I think. But if it's a regular color or darker, she seems them as opposite. Please try to understand"

then she might have a sensitivity related problem because the eye is most sensitive for yellow and I think a bit less sensitive for green.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/56291-is-it-yellow-green-or-yellow-green-color-to-which-human-eye-is-most-sensitive/

..?

Hmm - it does sound like she has just been taught yellow is green and green is yellow.

My friend had the Red/Green one... we played golf and he used a red tee.... after his shot he couldn't see the tee.... "It's right there in front of you" I told him, but it was invisible to him until he felt around for it.

If that were true, she would be clearly able to see the numbers in the color blind test on Enchroma.com or whatever the site is as I saw all of them perfectly, but she did not

If that were true, she would be clearly able to see the numbers in the color blind test on Enchroma.com or whatever the site is as I saw all of them perfectly, but she did not

..?

No, the Enchroma tests are for colour blindness, not just switching the appearance of one colour for another. I second the confusion by others. How would she know that she is seeing yellow for green or green for yellow if that's how she's always seen them? Think about it. If you saw blue as orange, people around you are still going to call the sky blue, and so you're going to think that the colour you're seeing is called blue (even if you're actually seeing what any other person would call orange). How do you describe a colour to someone to know that you're wrong?

No, the Enchroma tests are for colour blindness, not just switching the appearance of one colour for another. I second the confusion by others. How would she know that she is seeing yellow for green or green for yellow if that's how she's always seen them? Think about it. If you saw blue as orange, people around you are still going to call the sky blue, and so you're going to think that the colour you're seeing is called blue (even if you're actually seeing what any other person would call orange). How do you describe a colour to someone to know that you're wrong?

Is it beyond the realms of possibility she's playing him along for reasons only known to herself?

I wouldn't want to speculate about possible malicious intent. It's likely one or both parties simply misread or misinterpreted something.

I never meant malicious. Quite the contrary.

Edited by StringJunky

I'm sorry, but she is not seeing colors opposite.

She wouldn't be able to know.

Neither would you.

And frankly, I've read that most likely people see a lot of colors differently.

But we all learn what's called red and what's called blue, and never realize there's a difference.

Now inside the theory, we would simply see shifted shades. Colors wouldn't be completely wonked out. We would just process the spectrum at different levels.

There is something either A: Being misunderstood. B: A lie. C: A joke.

I'm sorry, but she is not seeing colors opposite.

She wouldn't be able to know.

Neither would you.

And frankly, I've read that most likely people see a lot of colors differently.

But we all learn what's called red and what's called blue, and never realize there's a difference.

Now inside the theory, we would simply see shifted shades. Colors wouldn't be completely wonked out. We would just process the spectrum at different levels.

There is something either A: Being misunderstood. B: A lie. C: A joke.

-facepalm- People tell her she's seeing wrong....... she even knows what she sees is wrong