Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality?

I think yes. There is a subtle difference in the sexual behavior of homosexuals compared to heterosexuals: the sexual movements during sex. Thrusting movements during heterosexual sex are stereotypical, almost reflexive movements that appear upon sexual arousal. They are regulated by the sexually dimorphic nucleus in the medial preoptic area (SDN-POA). In heterosexual females there are vaginal muscle movements, which manifest with the urge to grasp and engulf. Homosexuals (both males and females) have issues with this reflex. I think that the reason is diet and stress, which affect the development or functioning of the SDN-POA.

I began to study the issue as part of my masters thesis on the effect of sleep on mental disorders, but later did a thorough study with the intent to publish. Given that the topic is taboo in the medical profession and that I am not a career researcher, I published it on my website and you can find it attached. modern-diet-and-stress-cause-homosexuality.pdf

I think yes.

You are plainly wrong.

Homosexuality is old enough to be mentioned in the Old Testament.

So, it can't be caused by anything modern.

Also your post is essentially a non sequitur.

There is no reason for you to leap from the aspects concerned with sex to things about stress and diet.

• 4 weeks later...

I think yes. There is a subtle difference in the sexual behavior of homosexuals compared to heterosexuals: the sexual movements during sex. Thrusting movements during heterosexual sex are stereotypical, almost reflexive movements that appear upon sexual arousal. They are regulated by the sexually dimorphic nucleus in the medial preoptic area (SDN-POA). In heterosexual females there are vaginal muscle movements, which manifest with the urge to grasp and engulf. Homosexuals (both males and females) have issues with this reflex. I think that the reason is diet and stress, which affect the development or functioning of the SDN-POA.

I began to study the issue as part of my masters thesis on the effect of sleep on mental disorders, but later did a thorough study with the intent to publish. Given that the topic is taboo in the medical profession and that I am not a career researcher, I published it on my website and you can find it attached. attachicon.gifmodern-diet-and-stress-cause-homosexuality.pdf

Prenatal stress is proven to increase the chance of homosexuality.

Prenatal stress can obviously be caused by stress or the modern diet.

A nuclei of the hypothalamus, INAH-3, reveals that heterosexual males have double the volume of both homosexual and female subjects.

Dr. Harry Harlow's famous studies with Rhesus monkeys [5] demonstrated that such things as love and the ability to nurture healthy children was a learned skill that could be altered by after birth experiences. This non-biologic effect may play a role in female homosexuality and may also be a contributing factor in the degree to which congenital homosexuality is either expressed or repressed. But they do not cause homosexuality.

Male rats were exposed to prenatal (i.e. before they were born) or postnatal (after they were born) stress, or both. The prenatally stressed males showed low levels of male copulatory behavior and high rates of female lordotic responding (i.e. "lordotic" refers to mounting behavior which usually occurs during mating). Postnatal stress had no effect.

http://www.viewzone.com/homosexual.html

Prenatal stress is proven to increase the chance of homosexuality.

Prenatal stress can obviously be caused by stress or the modern diet.

The first of those statements needs some sort of evidence.

The second is meaningless.

Surely "not knowing where your next meal was coming from" was a much bigger cause of stress.

Plenty of cheap varied and wholesome food is hardly a cause of stress.

The first of those statements needs some sort of evidence.

The second is meaningless.

Surely "not knowing where your next meal was coming from" was a much bigger cause of stress.

Plenty of cheap varied and wholesome food is hardly a cause of stress.

Yes but its not about other factors. Its about modern diet and stress, which can cause prenatal stress....do you deny this?

And "not knowing where your next meal was coming from" gives very different stress, it's a survival stress.

That article I linked gives evidence that prenatal stress increases the chance of homosexuality.

I quoted some evidence about the male rats.

The OP is by the way wrong.

He states that post natal stress can cause homosexuality.

Post natal stress can increase or decrease a sexual orientation but it can't create a sexual orientation.

Edited by Itoero

It would be good to reference the actual article(s). That being said, you said earlier that it was "proven". But generally science does not work that way and especially in these cases you likely only looking at correlations with various degrees of mechanistic explanations (or lack thereof).

Yes but its not about other factors. Its about modern diet and stress, which can cause prenatal stress....do you deny this?

And "not knowing where your next meal was coming from" gives very different stress, it's a survival stress.

That article I linked gives evidence that prenatal stress increases the chance of homosexuality.

I quoted some evidence about the male rats.

The OP is by the way wrong.

He states that post natal stress can cause homosexuality.

Post natal stress can increase or decrease a sexual orientation but it can't create a sexual orientation.

Well, just about everybody here eats a modern diet and most a re subject to stress. yet homosexuality is still a minority trait.

So, you are plainly wrong.

Well, just about everybody here eats a modern diet and most a re subject to stress. yet homosexuality is still a minority trait.

So, you are plainly wrong.

Incorrect.

It depends on the kind of stress and the modern diet can be a factor...

Homosexuality is only positive when its a minority trait so the systems which cause homosexuality have evolved so homosexuality stays a minority trait.

It would be good to reference the actual article(s). That being said, you said earlier that it was "proven". But generally science does not work that way and especially in these cases you likely only looking at correlations with various degrees of mechanistic explanations (or lack thereof).

That's true. It's proven to be very likely that prenatal stress can increase the chance of homosexuality.

Its very relative though, I suppose many forms of stress can decrease the chance of homosexuality.

Edited by Itoero

Incorrect.

It depends on the kind of stress and the modern diet can be a factor...

That isn't what the OP said (which is what John was responding to).

The claim was: "Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality." In which case, most people would be homosexual.

It is entirely possible (but it sounds implausible) that diet or stress may have some sort of small influence one way or another. But that would need supporting evidence.

Edited by Strange

That isn't what the OP said (which is what John was responding to).

The claim was: "Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality." In which case, most people would be homosexual.

It is entirely possible (but it sounds implausible) that diet or stress may have some sort of small influence one way or another. But that would need supporting evidence.

Ah ok. I don't agree with the OP. Modern diet and stress can be a factor but pre natal, not post natal like the OP seems to think.

After you are born there are factors which can increase your lust for a gender but you can't create a new sexual orientation.

Edited by Itoero

There is no reliable data for "ancient" (as opposed to modern) incidence of homosexuality.

It is entirely possible that there were more gay people around in the past than there are now.

That makes this whole tread absurd.

It is true- as Itoero has said that ""Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality." - as long as you interpret the word "cause" as meaning "might be a factor in favour of"

It is exactly equally true that "Modern diet and stress Prevent homosexuality." with a similar caveat.

However, if you use the word "cause" in the way which the dictionary defines it then- as I pointed out- it is clearly and unequivocally untrue to say that "Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality."

So, if you misuse the word, it's meaningless, and if you don't then it's simply wrong.

Was this thread just a trolling exercise?

That makes this whole tread absurd.

It is true- as Itoero has said that ""Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality." - as long as you interpret the word "cause" as meaning "might be a factor in favour of"

Stop reacting on things I did not say.

I never said "Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality" like you claim I did.

I said modern diet and stress can cause homosexuality because it can cause prenatal stress.

I apologise for mis-attributing the quote.

What you said was "It depends on the kind of stress and the modern diet can be a factor".

How is that different from "Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality." - as long as you interpret the word "cause" as meaning "might be a factor in favour of""?

Anyway, the point stands

We have no idea of what the incidence of homosexuality was like in ancient times- so we can not possibly know if it is higehr or lower today.

So we can't say whether modern life has made any difference- and we certainly can't say which direction it might have influenced it.

I apologise for mis-attributing the quote.

What you said was "It depends on the kind of stress and the modern diet can be a factor".

How is that different from "Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality." - as long as you interpret the word "cause" as meaning "might be a factor in favour of""?

Anyway, the point stands

We have no idea of what the incidence of homosexuality was like in ancient times- so we can not possibly know if it is higehr or lower today.

So we can't say whether modern life has made any difference- and we certainly can't say which direction it might have influenced it.

I think it's very different. I'm careful to talk in terms of 'possibility' because it's not a simple cause and effect.

And I did not link modern diet and stress directly to homosexuality.

Modern diet and stress can cause prenatal stress which can cause homosexuality.

It's not defined what modern diet and stress can be. There are obviously sorts that don't increase prenatal stress

Edited by Itoero

I began to study the issue as part of my masters thesis on the effect of sleep on mental disorders, but later did a thorough study with the intent to publish. Given that the topic is taboo in the medical profession and that I am not a career researcher, I published it on my website and you can find it attached. attachicon.gifmodern-diet-and-stress-cause-homosexuality.pdf

You are plainly wrong.

Homosexuality is old enough to be mentioned in the Old Testament.

So, it can't be caused by anything modern.

Also your post is essentially a non sequitur.

There is no reason for you to leap from the aspects concerned with sex to things about stress and diet.

Not only how silly question would be but because even if it was true how do you define stress, what kind of stress, how long the stress, what level of stress, than do same for foods what foods are lacking in your diet, how much food you need, what type food having too much of, what hormones and preserves are being put in foods, what food you must eat and food you must not eat, so on for the study.

So many variables where do you start to do such study. Than you have people complaining of GMO foods and preserves and chemicals in food.

If you don't know what they are, then there's no way you can attribute things to them.

you have just summarised the utter pointlessness of this thread.

c'mon dude. Modern diet and stress can mean a lot of things but we do know what they can be.

Have you never heard of pregnant ladies developing a sort of diabetes?

There's one question we have to ask ourselves in this modern society, if we're even considering the influence of "modern" factors here.

Does it even matter?

I see that the pdf attached to the op includes "Potential therapy" in its subtitle. So that's where I draw the line.

Does it even matter?

I think it's interesting (pure scientific) to know that modern diet can increase (or decrease) the chance of homosexuality via prenatal stress. But it indeed doesn't really matter. Homosexuality is not a negative effect. There are lot of negative effects caused by modern diet+lifestyle.

I think it's interesting (pure scientific) to know that modern diet can increase (or decrease) the chance of homosexuality via prenatal stress. But it indeed doesn't really matter. Homosexuality is not a negative effect. There are lot of negative effects caused by modern diet+lifestyle.

Hadn't seen you're from Belgium, too!

"Interesting (pure scientific)" ... But why? Why would you - physics aside - want to know something that doesn't matter in the end and of which trying to change it would pose great ethical problems?

A professor of ours who taught us principles of scientific methodology always said that he has 1 favourite question he always asks at the defence of Master's theses, after the "defendants" have concluded their results:

"So what?"

Implying the need for relevance.

Knowing that modern diet or stress would influence the outcome of sexual orientation in a foetus, a child, an adult - what's the point?

I'm not saying that we should live peacefully forever in ignorance, but why should we waste resources on pointless research?

Edited by Function

Hadn't seen you're from Belgium, too!

"Interesting (pure scientific)" ... But why? Why would you - physics aside - want to know something that doesn't matter in the end and of which trying to change it would pose great ethical problems?

A professor of ours who taught us principles of scientific methodology always said that he has 1 favourite question he always asks at the defence of Master's theses, after the "defendants" have concluded their results:

"So what?"

Implying the need for relevance.

Knowing that modern diet or stress would influence the outcome of sexual orientation in a foetus, a child, an adult - what's the point?

I'm not saying that we should live peacefully forever in ignorance, but why should we waste resources on pointless research?

I just think extra scientific knowledge is always a good thing. Without this topic ( and another concerning this subject) I would not have looked into this matter.

This is where most of my science related knowledge comes from. I always look into the subject matter of a thread....Most of my knowledge (which is very limited :) ) comes from Wikipedia, pubmed and arxiv.

I found an interesting link.

-In women, diabetes 1 can cause (indirect) a drop in testosterone.

-Pregnant women(I suppose the diet is an important issue) can create Gestational Diabetes .

"Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), or high blood sugar during pregnancy, used to be relatively rare, occurring in about 3 percent to 4 percent of pregnancies. But in recent years, the rate has doublednow, up to 6 percent to 8 percent of moms-to-be are diagnosed with this prenatal complication"

https://www.fitpregnancy.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-health/sugar-shock

I just think extra scientific knowledge is always a good thing. Without this topic ( and another concerning this subject) I would not have looked into this matter.

This is where most of my science related knowledge comes from. I always look into the subject matter of a thread....Most of my knowledge (which is very limited :) ) comes from Wikipedia, pubmed and arxiv.

I found an interesting link.

-In women, diabetes 1 can cause (indirect) a drop in testosterone.

-Pregnant women(I suppose the diet is an important issue) can create Gestational Diabetes .

"Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), or high blood sugar during pregnancy, used to be relatively rare, occurring in about 3 percent to 4 percent of pregnancies. But in recent years, the rate has doublednow, up to 6 percent to 8 percent of moms-to-be are diagnosed with this prenatal complication"

https://www.fitpregnancy.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-health/sugar-shock

See the difference? Those things are clinically relevant.

See the difference? Those things are clinically relevant.

Yes I do but why is clinical relevance important?

Asking for relevance is like asking for more colorful pictures when you read a book.

Many things in science look irrelevant, future will tell what becomes relevant.

Where in Belgium do you live?

It can get 33°C today, where I live.

Edited by Itoero