What is hanu.facebook.com

studiot

When I load Chrome I am getting popup messages which say

"you have 12 (other number) of messages waiting"

hanu.facebook.com

I don't do f/b so I have no idea where this came from or if it is legit.

Can anyone help?

Particularly to get rid of it.

You've probably picked up a script somewhere. Try this:

Open the Google Chrome Settings page, at the top right > Settings.
Scroll to the bottom and click Show advanced settings.
Under Privacy, click Content settings....
Scroll down to Notifications.
Select Do not allow any site to show desktop notifications.
or run adwcleaner: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/ (download button top right)
Edited by StringJunky

I'm using ESET Endpoint Security as my anti virus and firewall, AdBlock and AdBlock Plus for Chrome on Win10 and I have to say that I've never had a single virus or malicious software or script or whatever on my PC. I mind what I click on though.

Edited by koti

Well bumping up the chrome security as per post#2 didn't work it just popped up again as I was logging in here.

I'll obviously have to raid Trump's larder arsenal.

I usually like combofix, before other cleaners as it strips the nastys' protection bare.

I'll keep you all posted.

Well bumping up the chrome security as per post#2 didn't work it just popped up again as I was logging in here.

I'll obviously have to raid Trump's larder arsenal.

I usually like combofix, before other cleaners as it strips the nastys' protection bare.

I'll keep you all posted.

Save your bookmarks, if you want, and delete your google folder in C: > Users > Your Name > AppData > Local > Google. Appdata is a hidden folder that can be revealed by showing hidden folders first in the 'View' menu of Explorer. This will give you a vanilla copy of Chrome or you can re-download Chrome, after uninstalling it, if you want to be sure. When you uninstall Chrome the normal way, the Google folder is never deleted, you have to do it manually. That's why some PUP's (potentially unwanted programs) persist after installing a new copy of Chrome. Google try to hang onto your trackable information, and anything else that be parked in there, by not deleting that folder.

Edited by StringJunky

Save your bookmarks, if you want, and delete your google folder in C: > Users > Your Name > AppData > Local > Google. Appdata is a hidden folder that can be revealed by showing hidden folders first in the 'View' menu of Explorer. This will give you a vanilla copy of Chrome or you can re-download Chrome, after uninstalling it, if you want to be sure. When you uninstall Chrome the normal way, the Google folder is never deleted, you have to do it manually. That's why some PUP's (potentially unwanted programs) persist after installing a new copy of Chrome. Google try to hang onto your trackable information, and anything else that be parked in there, by not deleting that folder.

Hope this works for studiot - didn't work for my Super Deluxe Chinese Computer Virus Level Expert Plus

Is it Chrome-specific? If it's a proper virus/malware, a reinstall is the only way to go really.

I don't know how, but with a lot of messing around with my computer, installing several anti-shit software and having fun in the crypts of the register, I managed to get asymptomatic.

Don't know whether it's still there or doing something, but I'm not feeling any side effects of it anymore.

I don't know how, but with a lot of messing around with my computer, installing several anti-shit software and having fun in the crypts of the register, I managed to get asymptomatic.

Don't know whether it's still there or doing something, but I'm not feeling any side effects of it anymore.

Good. Ideally, when you have the time, reinstall Windows then make an image to a separate hard drive or flash, if it's big enough. If you ever get malware you can use the image and be done in much less time than a reinstall. Macrium Reflect Free is free and extremely reliable; i've been using it for 10 years. If you leave settings on default it will just image the actual information and not the empty space, so it saves lots of space on your storage drive and compresses it. 25GB of info takes about 12 mins to restore on 2GHz CPU and 4GB memory and is compressed to about 9GB for storage..

Edited by StringJunky

OOps

Chrome has gone but I can't now reload it since bigG steadfastly refuses to progress beyond the notice "This computer will no longer receive updates for Chrome"

Incidentally I like REvo for uninstalling.

That got rid of a deal of registry stuff and a bunch of 14 files (as you said would be left over, mostly appdata)

Avast also offered to remove those files.

Am using Firefox for now, seems OK so far, but I have had trouble in the past with Fox.

One tip when rooting things out.

Cleanup with something like ccleaner first.

This gets rid of often many Gbytes of dross that your checker woud otherwise have to sort through.

When you have finished clean up again with ccleaner. - it often finds leftovers like 'unused file extensions' and other rubbish exposed by the rootout.

Thanks again for the help so far.

OOps

Chrome has gone but I can't now reload it since bigG steadfastly refuses to progress beyond the notice "This computer will no longer receive updates for Chrome"

That got rid of a deal of registry stuff and a bunch of 14 files (as you said would be left over, mostly appdata)

Am using Firefox for now, seems OK so far, but I have had trouble in the past with Fox.

This gets rid of often many Gbytes of dross that your checker woud otherwise have to sort through.

When you have finished clean up again with ccleaner. - it often finds leftovers like 'unused file extensions' and other rubbish exposed by the rootout.

What Windows version are you using?

Here's a link to the Chrome standalone installer. Make sure you have rebooted after any attempt at rectifying,.. Windows needs to do this sometimes to complete an operation, especially an uninstallation.

Edited by StringJunky

OOps

Or you can start to mind what you click on ;)

No Chrome is no longer available for Windows XP.

I thought that was the reason for the message when I saw a thread on Google forums. I also read that Firefox on XP is only supported until September this year. Opera are still supporting XP, which has the Chrome engine.

When I load Chrome I am getting popup messages which say

"you have 12 (other number) of messages waiting"

hanu.facebook.com

I don't do f/b so I have no idea where this came from or if it is legit.

Can anyone help?

Particularly to get rid of it.

Have you per chance ever used these guys' software?

https://m.facebook.com/HanuSoftware

If so, just unfollow them. They might've added you to their follow list even if you visited their site once, or Liked ons of their apps.

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Have you per chance ever used these guys' software?

https://m.facebook.com/HanuSoftware

If so, just unfollow them. They might've added you to their follow list even if you visited their site once, or Liked ons of their apps.

Many thanks for taking the time to find this and make suggestions.

Since, as I said in the OP, I don't have any connection to facebook I have no idea waht you mean by unfollow or any way to actually do it.

If I was on their follow list why would it only happen with Chrome and not IE and now not (yet fingers crossed) with Firefox?

Surely it must have been something on my computer, as SJ suggested.

I consider myself lucky that I 'only' receive about two dozen trashy emails per day, but it is easy to spot the Wells Fargo, Nigerian Prices or Lisa Legs of this world and just delete them.

I don't know Hanu and can't find anything useful on Google so I am reluctant to click on a link to an organisation (?) that has already added something unauthorised to my computer.

This is no reflection on you, thanks agian for the link it is a step forward.

But do you have any detail as to who hanu are and what their apps might be?

I hope I have disposed of them, but I am pursuing this so others might benefit from anything dug up. +1 to you and to SJ for contributions.

Edited by studiot