Hear a (...well played) sarrusophone

Enthalpy

Hello everybody!

The sarrusophone is a double-reed woodwind with conical metal body developed very shortly after the saxophone and sharing its fingerings. It lived shortly (enough for museums to have a few pieces) except for the C contrabass which was preferred in France to the contrabassoon for being louder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarrusophone

A few (well over 100) copies still exist, and at least Benedikt Eppelsheim and Orsi produce them on request. Enough for musicians to blow in the horn with varied results. I've just heard one soprano nicely played, prompting me to share it:

soprano
alto
tenor
The record begins at 1min10.

The sopranino, baritone, bass, Eb contrabass records also provided by Uriel Rodríguez S. over youtube aren't exceptional, but the soprano is impressive. Double reeds tend to have a harder sound to be improved by a narrow bore and small tone holes, and high-pitched instruments are more difficult to make and play, so I feared the worst from the soprano sarrusophone, but this one sounds just nice. Kudos to the musician!

Don't pay attention to that cretinous comment above. I thought the surro piece was beautiful. Reminds me of the oboe, which is my favorite woodwind used in classical music. It's a bit brighter than the oboe, I think, and not quite as plaintive or reedy sounding. The oboe also uses a double reed setup. My wife plays, and she makes her own reeds, which to me is an amazing process that I love to watch.

Thanks again, enthalpy. Classical music is salve for the soul.

• 1 year later...

The baritone "sarrusophone" provided by Uriel Rodriguez S. on his Youtube page
T_hwbf3lOlY at 1:10
is not a sarrusophone but a saxophone, very well played by Yasuto Tanaka
RVOBQBamjDA

I have been abused. My sincerest apologies to all readers.

This obviously raises doubt about the other "sarrusophone" records provided by Uriel Rodriguez S., as the instruments are even rarer than the Eb baritone, and I've seen no single other record of them on the Web. They too can be saxophones, using a weak reed for the alto and the tenor.
Okir_ItyEgQ Sopranino at 1:10
vAZJfRdVOEo Soprano at 1:10
xP2UHG51l1U Alto at 1:10 (and the picture is from a tenor)
WWcz1kL00H4 Tenor at 1:10

This is a real sarrusophone, better played than usual, looks like a Eb contrabass
DZFf_j80tX8

Edited by Enthalpy

I love all instruments equally.
To me it is about the music, not the instruments.

Sir Robert Tiso, Glass Harp genius, here-under, with 2 massive pieces, -Beethoven, Ludwig van - Moonlight Sonata 1st. Mov.
Listen to the added deepness...

Followed by Ravel, Maurice - Bolero (this time entirely on Glass Harp):

Not an instrument used in either, still...
But that be me.

• 9 months later...

Jazz on a bassoon is uncommon, not least because bassoonist are scarce.

The instrument has strong arguments: easy emission, very easy articulation, comfortable air consumption, flexible tone height and... OK, its weak voice is a bad drawback next to a drummer, and the fingerings aren't quite fluid. But it swings better than a saxophone!

The examples on Youtube are from Alexandre Silverio and co - few others exist.

Here in usual small formations
Invitation - Chorinho pra ele  - Alone together
that's a duet with himself
Vou vivendo
and here the Camaleon bassoons
My favorite thingsTake fiveIn a sentimental mood
they are the bassoonists of São Paulo state symphonic orchestra.

• 6 months later...