Constant FPS drops

Lord Antares

I've had this problem for a long time.

Basically, in vide games the FPS constantly switches from normal to unplayable with regular patterns are regular duration. I will play normally for 15-20 seconds then get 10 seconds of unplayable gameplay. It's completely distracting. I know it's not that the computer is weak because I've played the same games before with no stuttering and the fact that it can run very well when these episodes aren't happening reinforces the thought that it's something else.

I've cleaned the comp, reinstalled windows, changed processor paste, ran virus checks and everything I can imagine, yet this problem keeps coming back. I've avoided solving it because I haven't played video games in some time. It happens in ALMOST all games. There are some older ones which run well, but most of them have the exact same issue, even though the shouldn't, considering the specs.

Can anyone recommend anything? Any ideas? This is pestering me.

I've had this problem for a long time.

Basically, in vide games the FPS constantly switches from normal to unplayable with regular patterns are regular duration. I will play normally for 15-20 seconds then get 10 seconds of unplayable gameplay. It's completely distracting. I know it's not that the computer is weak because I've played the same games before with no stuttering and the fact that it can run very well when these episodes aren't happening reinforces the thought that it's something else.

I've cleaned the comp, reinstalled windows, changed processor paste, ran virus checks and everything I can imagine, yet this problem keeps coming back. I've avoided solving it because I haven't played video games in some time. It happens in ALMOST all games. There are some older ones which run well, but most of them have the exact same issue, even though the shouldn't, considering the specs.

Can anyone recommend anything? Any ideas? This is pestering me.

Turn off Windows Updates. It's a CPU hog.

When it was enabled, CPU usage was 80-100% constantly. Disabled, it went down to 2-3%.

I enable it once every month or so, wait for critical updates and install them, then disable it again.

How is that possible? How does having automatic updates bring the CPU up to 80-100%?

Anyways, I disabled them (chose the ''notifiy me when updates are available'' option) and did a quick test and it still happens.

I think I did some temperature tests before and it's quite hot, although not as much as one would think given the issue. Maybe I could try with coolers? But then my PC would be louder than it already is.

EDIT: Btw, it only happens with video games. never with videos of any kind etc.

Edited by Lord Antares

How is that possible? How does having automatic updates bring the CPU up to 80-100%?

Anyways, I disabled them (chose the ''notifiy me when updates are available'' option) and did a quick test and it still happens.

I think I did some temperature tests before and it's quite hot, although not as much as one would think given the issue. Maybe I could try with coolers? But then my PC would be louder than it already is.

EDIT: Btw, it only happens with video games. never with videos of any kind etc.

That doesn't work. The setting you chose still has updates running.

Here's a test:

1- Run Task Manager/Performance. Observe the CPU usage.

2- Run Services/Extended. At the Windows Update line, select STOP, then set startup type to Disabled.

3- Go back to Task Manager/Performance. Observe the CPU usage. I bet a dollar to a donut your performance will be greatly improved.

That doesn't work. The setting you chose still has updates running.

Here's a test:

1- Run Task Manager/Performance. Observe the CPU usage.

2- Run Services/Extended. At the Windows Update line, select STOP, then set startup type to Disabled.

3- Go back to Task Manager/Performance. Observe the CPU usage. I bet a dollar to a donut your performance will be greatly improved.

Thanks for the attempt, but there was no difference AT ALL.

While still, the CPU usage was 1% and about 40+% while in game (Red Orchestra 2/ Rising storm), but keep in mind that is while alt+tabbed; the usage would be higher in the actual game.

I did exactly what you said but it was still hovering over 40%, no difference whatsoever.

It is also possible that the computer is old. When was the last time you replaced the parts?

Yes, I was thinking this might be the most likely answer. It has been a few years, so it's definitely old in that regard. It is not weak for the games I'm trying to play, it is just generally old. Can that be an issue as well?

Could be a GPU problem. With videos it is doing very little work - merely passing data to the screen. With 3D games it is taking the majority of the workload.

Yes, GPU is the first thing you'd think. What would you recommend?

Yes, I was thinking this might be the most likely answer. It has been a few years, so it's definitely old in that regard. It is not weak for the games I'm trying to play, it is just generally old. Can that be an issue as well?

Yes, GPU is the first thing you'd think. What would you recommend?

Age in general, I'd normally say no. On the other hand, check the drive light while you're playing - hard drives can definitely slow down with age so if your games are using the drive a lot you might get the symptoms you describe.

To give any useful advice about the GPU I would need full specs - GPU model, Video RAM size, bus speed, PC RAM size & speed.

Even then, I tend to be very much hands on when fixing PCs (I sometimes think my fingers know more about it than my brain).

Edited by Manticore

It is also possible that the computer is old. When was the last time you replaced the parts?

He said, game runs normally for 15-20 seconds, THEN it's starting crawling..

If it would be too slow for a game, because of too obsolete parts, the most likely all the time it would have bad performance while playing.

Also, games have settings allowing to decrease quality of graphics for older machines.

Lord Antares, you didn't say whether it's desktop or laptop. I assume it's desktop computer.

Do you have gfx built-in motherboard, or on separate PCI-Express? AGP? PCI? slot.

If it's not built-in, ask friend to lend his/her gfx card, and check whether it's working correctly, or is also lagging.

Also, it's possible that motherboard chip is overheating.

I had it couple months ago. Computer was shutting down randomly. BIOS was showing motherboard chipset temperature > 65 C.

After buying separate cooler, stream of air is cooling it down, it's nearly constant 44 C, even after 14h of working.

Edited by Sensei

If it would be too slow for a game, because of too obsolete parts, the most likely all the time it would have bad performance while playing.

Yes. That's why I thought it is most likely an issue of overheating or something irregular like that.

Also, games have settings allowing to decrease quality of graphics for older machines.

I turned down the graphics settings and the exact same thing happened with the same patterns; further indicating that it's not a spec issue.

It's a desktop PC and yes, I did do some temperature tests and the temp was heightened. But as I said, I am reluctant to add coolers because they will make my already loud comp even louder.

That being said, I played a ~2 hour session today and it didn't stutter! At first I thought it rangerx's suggestion solved it, but it makes no sense to me, since it didn't indicate a change before and after turning the windows updates off. We will see, a sample size of 1 session isn't enough.

Yeah my old gpu used to do that before it stopped running videos fullstop. A processor will only last a few years if you use the computer alot. It is typical that the first few frame draws won't have that much of an effect but the longer it runs the more the gpu has to play catch up because it isn't processing instructions as fast as normal. The gpu not getting sufficient power can have a similar effect it is made to run in a certain range of voltages so if there is a power supply problem or motherboard problem it can result in lower gpu performance.

Edited by fiveworlds

When you're using game from Steam or similar system, they are auto updated with the new fixes without user asking about anything.

And these fixes can broke something on old gfx cards.

And you can't go back to using "yesterday working version"..

Yeah my old gpu used to do that before it stopped running videos fullstop. A processor will only last a few years if you use the computer alot. It is typical that the first few frame draws won't have that much of an effect but the longer it runs the more the gpu has to play catch up because it isn't processing instructions as fast as normal. The gpu not getting sufficient power can have a similar effect it is made to run in a certain range of voltages so if there is a power supply problem or motherboard problem it can result in lower gpu performance.

I find that the quickest way to kill a computer is to not use it for a couple of months. I've had three PCs die since December purely from having been left unused for a while.

I find that the quickest way to kill a computer is to not use it for a couple of months. I've had three PCs die since December purely from having been left unused for a while.

Impact of dust on electronic component:

http://control.com/thread/1026239054

Dust bunnies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_bunny

Edited by Sensei

I did a temp test and here are the results:

The first image is while ''standing still'', and the other is while alt+tabbed from the game.

3DSBNJ3.png

LecxM4U.png

What does this tell you? I'm not sure if the temp would rise after playing for a long time or if it would be higher with the in-game window open, rather than minimized.

Isn't this a normal temp?

Googling for "amd phenom ii x4 cpu temperature":

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274612-28-what-safe-core-temperature-phenom-processor-fami

" what is a safe core temperature for AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor [x86 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2] ??"

" No higher than 62 C. "

Some said it's even on manufacturer website.

Edited by Sensei

I assume the advised course of action would be to buy a fan. Is it possible to make it silent? Or is there an alternative cooling method?

Googling for "amd phenom ii x4 955 processor silent cooler"

Obviously reveals water (or other liquid) coolers, which are pretty silent, but are expensive.

f.e.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/278731-29-best-silent-cooler-phenom-black-125w

The first mentioned " Antec Kuhler H620 Liquid Cooling"

used one costs $50

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Kuhler-H2O-620-Liquid/dp/B004LWYE4Q

new one, newer version $70

http://store.antec.com/cpu-liquid-cooling/kuhler-h2o-650.html

Kuhler H2O 620 Overview

Installation procedure

You would have to talk to who actually use water/liquid cpu cooler.

My the main computer use air, and it's pretty quiet, at the moment.

It's possible to sleep, with it running, in the same room.

Edited by Sensei