True essence of being human (religious and scientifical)

Randolpin

I found out also that other religions or views fail or inadequate in describing our reality because they are not the true worldview.

This is exactly why you'll never understand you're wrong, not to mention why you'll never understand the very book you believe so blindly.

Edited by dimreepr

I want to point that our best scientific theories points to the truth of a Creator & I believe that Christianity is true because God tells me that it is true and it's teachings are consistent and adequate in explaining our reality. For example, it consistently teach the reality of sin, it's cause and it's effects in our lives and the whole world. It is consistent in defining or explaining our reality. Such as the reality of love, morality, humanity, proper living, purpose of live etc.

I found out also that other religions or views fail or inadequate in describing our reality because they are not the true worldview.

Which scientific theories would that be? How does god tell you, hearing voices? Nothing the Christian Bible claims about reality that can be tested is true.

You assert that the Bible teaches proper morality, so slavery is ok? Gay people should be killed? Other religions are not the true world view? How did you determine that?

The Bible is mythology, it tells the horrendous story of a powerful but jealous being that spreads evil, demands genocide, and our unwavering obedience under threat of eternal punishment.

Both Heaven and hell as described in the Bible are immoral and unjust.

So far you have failed to show any evidence to support your favorite god and your assertion that your god is better than any other fails utterly..

I want to point that our best scientific theories points to the truth of a Creator & I believe that Christianity is true because God tells me that it is true and it's teachings are consistent and adequate in explaining our reality. For example, it consistently teach the reality of sin, it's cause and it's effects in our lives and the whole world. It is consistent in defining or explaining our reality. Such as the reality of love, morality, humanity, proper living, purpose of live etc.

Randolphin I noticed in your profile that youre a teacher. What do you teach ?

The Bible is mythology, it tells the horrendous story of a powerful but jealous being that spreads evil, demands genocide, and our unwavering obedience under threat of eternal punishment.

It got better...

Parenthood, for it, seems to promote love, tolerance and forgiveness; Jesus, do you always have to bring up the past?

Edited by dimreepr

I want to point that our best scientific theories points to the truth of a Creator

Do they? Where exactly do they do that?

I am not aware of any scientific theory that suggest the existence of a creator.

And even if they did, why should it be your god, rather than Xantor the Mighty, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (or Flying Spaghetto Monster for monotheists)?

I believe that Christianity is true because God tells me that it is true

Those are examples of the fallacy known as "begging the question".

And what if your god is lying to you? You know, like politicians?

Randolphin I noticed in your profile that youre a teacher.

God have mercy on his pupils. Presumably they will grow up deluded and ignorant.

God have mercy on his pupils. Presumably they will grow up deluded and ignorant.

In my opinion infecting people, especially children with delusion is far more dangerous than any disease. Crackpot teachers are my kryptonite.

Let me establish my argument for the truth of a Creator in terms of best explanation:

1. God is the best explanation why anything at all exist.

2. God is the best explanation of the origin of the universe.

3. God is the best explanation of the applicability of mathematics to the physical world.

4. God is the best explanation for the fine-tuning of the universe.

5 God is the best explanation of objective moral values & duties.

I will explain it as best as I can in the next posts.

Responding to the OP, I think everyone is different and each finds fulfillment in his or her own way. I can't imagine myself without my scientifically inquisitive mind. Understanding as much as I possibly can is, quite simply, a craving that I've had my whole life.

On the other hand, I don't think of myself as religious, per se, which to me implies a devotion to a particular organized religion. I am as curious about matters of the spirit as I am anything else - in particular I believe that science as it is situated today really tells us nothing about the nature of our self-awareness, whether or not we have free will, and so on. These questions are very important to me - I want to understand. That I have self-awareness seems directly clear to me, and I consider it possible that I have a non-corporeal spirit. But I don't regard that possibility as implying, necessarily, that an ultimate God-like spirit must also exist. It's certainly possible, but not proven conclusively for me.

I view organized religion with distrust. The major religions have become "large organizations," and I feel that almost every large organization that exists / has existed winds up taking on an agenda of its own that's largely unrelated to its original stated goals. They usually become about power and control. So even if God exists, and even if he handed us His Word at some point in time, I feel that Word has been manipulated and revised over the years to reflect the political goals of the religious organizations. So I don't think there's a book I can read that can tell me how God wants me to behave. Instead, I just think and reflect on the world around me, and decide for myself what constitutes good behavior.

So basically I think both of the things you mentioned are important. As human beings one of the biggest advantages we have over other life is the ability to think rationally and logically. I try to do that for questions about both science and ethical / moral behavior. I do not, however, think that one who chooses not to subscribe to an organized religion has somehow "failed" as a human being. I think there are many paths to being a good person.

Let me establish my argument for the truth of a Creator in terms of best explanation:

3. God is the best explanation of the applicability of mathematics to the physical world.

Maybe you should ask god to explain it for you, as she is so good at explanations.

God can only be the best explanation due to lack of creativity. Any other explanation is better than God, because any other explanation is less complex.

Take eg number 4: the existence of an infinite number of is universes is a perfectly reasonable hypothesis and offers a much better explanation than "I don't know so a wizard must have done it"

Number 5 is a circular argument: there is a God, so there must be objective moral values, and since there are objective moral values, there must be a God

It is not clear that there are objective moral values and duties. However, to the extent that there are, I see no need for a god to create them. They can arise from the fact that we have feelings for and sympathy with others. We therefore feel it is good to treat them well - partly because it may be reciprocated, but also just because we can feel their suffering.

And why would we have that empathy with others? Evolution. It is a benefit to the whole species if individuals look after each other.

It is not clear that the universe has an origin. What if it has always existed?

Why not just the fact that the world behaves in regular ways, which can therefore be described. If the universe were random and chaotic (beyond any form of description) then we wouldn't be here to ask the question.

There is no evidence that the universe is fine tuned.

Is this a joke?

God is not an explanation for anything, the concept of a god is nothing but a place holder for ignorance.

Ok lets go for this...

First tell us which god is real, give some evidence of this and why other gods are not.

​Why? I think a brobdingnagian creature that consumes dark matter and excretes universes and doesn't know it's own shit is the best explanation for the universe.

Please see answer above.

This simply makes no sense, preprepositionalist much?

What exactly is the universe fine tuned for? The formation of black holes? If you are suggesting the universe is fine tuned for life that is obviously not true. Less than .00009% of the universe can support life, doesn't seem to be fine tuning to me..

So you are ok with slavery, genocide, sex slavery of little girls, making a woman marry her rapist, killing homosexuals, the list of immoral demands by the abrahamic god is long and disgusting. Let's list a few more, death to anyone who wears clothing made of mixed cloth, kill anyone who tries to convert you to another god.

Please explain why, even if it exists, anyone would worship such psychopathic monster?

Then there is the concept of Heaven and Hell, both are unjust and immoral...

It got better...

Parenthood, for it, seems to promote love, tolerance and forgiveness; Jesus, do you always have to bring up the past?

Because god claims the he is always the same, unchanging, Jesus confirmed this as well by saying none of the laws would change. If you believe god is no longer the psychopathic monster he once was what is to keep from changing back?

Because god claims the he is always the same, unchanging, Jesus confirmed this as well by saying none of the laws would change. If you believe god is no longer the psychopathic monster he once was what is to keep from changing back?

Who's this god bloke, if he doesn't exist?

Now, I will provide the explanation on the points I mentioned for my argument of God's existence. I borrowed my ideas mostly from the debates & works of Dr. William Lane Craig and share it on you as best as I can.

Now, let me explain first my first point: God is the best explanation why anything at all exists.

(The sentences of the following paragraph are mostly quoted from a recent lecture on a debate of Dr. Craig)

This is called the contingency argument. It talks about a certain thing's existence requires an explanation. It is because it is contingent in it's existence. It can exist but it doesn't have to exist. Now, to clearly understand, lets suppose that you are in the forest doing hiking and suddenly, found a ball lying on the ground. You would naturally wonder how it came to be there. If your hiking partner said " Forget about it, it just exist inexplicably". You think that he is either joking or want you to keep moving. No one would take seriously the idea that the ball just exist without any explanation. The ball's existence requires an explanation because the ball is contingent in it's existence. It can exist but it doesn't have to exist. So what makes the ball different from for example, unicorns which can exist but do not exist. There must be something that explains the ball's existence, typically a causal explanation. So what is the explanation of the universe ( all of space-time reality). The explanation of the universe can be found only in a transcendent reality, beyond the universe, beyond space & time which is metaphysically necessary in it's existence. There is only one way to get a contingent entity like the universe from a necessarily existing cause and that is if the cause is a personal agent who can freely choose to create a contingent reality. It therefore follows that the best explanation of the existence of a contingent universe is a transcendent, personal being which is what everybody means by God.

That is not an explanation, it is just an assertion. An assertion with no evidence and no reasoning behind it. This sort of claim is trivially easy to argue against.

The explanation of the universe can be found only in a transcendent reality, beyond the universe, beyond space & time which is metaphysically necessary in it's existence.

So, we can use exactly the same level of evidence and logical argument to provide an alternative explanation:

The explanation of the universe can be found only in the universe.

There, that was easy.

Basically, this comes down to: "I believe god exists therefore she is the best explanation".

QUOTE " I will provide the explanation... of God's existence.... best I can" "God is the best explanation why anything exists..... Contingency argument."

That is not an explanation of why he exists - it is just stating "God exists" with nothing to back it up. It is SO weak an argument a\s to be completely ignored by any rational thinker imo. I used to believe in God - but not by just saying "well I can't think of any other reason, so it must be true!".. You do the argument a disservice surely? There are many better explanation for existence... no one can prove any of them.

Just repeating, "but HE is the best explanation" is no argument at all. Sorry if I missed the point, but it doesn't add up - God is clearly not the best explanation based on what we observe in the universe.

Now, I will provide the explanation on the points I mentioned for my argument of God's existence. I borrowed my ideas mostly from the debates & works of Dr. William Lane Craig and share it on you as best as I can.

Now, let me explain first my first point: God is the best explanation why anything at all exists.

(The sentences of the following paragraph are mostly quoted from a recent lecture on a debate of Dr. Craig)

This is called the contingency argument. It talks about a certain thing's existence requires an explanation. It is because it is contingent in it's existence. It can exist but it doesn't have to exist. Now, to clearly understand, lets suppose that you are in the forest doing hiking and suddenly, found a ball lying on the ground. You would naturally wonder how it came to be there. If your hiking partner said " Forget about it, it just exist inexplicably". You think that he is either joking or want you to keep moving. No one would take seriously the idea that the ball just exist without any explanation. The ball's existence requires an explanation because the ball is contingent in it's existence. It can exist but it doesn't have to exist. So what makes the ball different from for example, unicorns which can exist but do not exist. There must be something that explains the ball's existence, typically a causal explanation. So what is the explanation of the universe ( all of space-time reality). The explanation of the universe can be found only in a transcendent reality, beyond the universe, beyond space & time which is metaphysically necessary in it's existence. There is only one way to get a contingent entity like the universe from a necessarily existing cause and that is if the cause is a personal agent who can freely choose to create a contingent reality. It therefore follows that the best explanation of the existence of a contingent universe is a transcendent, personal being which is what everybody means by God.

This argument just delays saying we don't know by one step by interjecting something called god.

Basically you're saying the universe must have a cause, and you call that cause god.

But if i ask you what caused god i bet the answer will be something like god has always existed, or caused itself, or is too mysterious to know,.

Well, the universe might have always existed, or caused itself and its origins might be a mystery to us forever. By adding god into the mix you have just removed us from the universe by one step while adding nothing.

The ball annology is just foolish as it requires the preexisting knowledge that balls are man made.

A better analogy wild be finding something that you've never come across before and have no idea what or how it is but even that is flakey.

We don't know that the universe has to be made so the ball is just a rubbish idea.

I can't understate how poor that argument is. I was expecting something bad but that's even worse.

The explanation of the universe can be found only in the universe.

There, that was easy.

It must be outside the universe. Let me give an analogy. A ballpen exist. Now you ask, why that ballpen exist? The ballpen itself can't answer or provide an explanation. The answer must be outside the ballpen. The answer is that there was a machine which created that ballpen.

Edited by Randolpin

Mostly because neither of us believe it exists.