True essence of being human (religious and scientifical)

Randolpin

I already found the answer to this question but I will ask this for those who don't encounter this question. What is the true essence of being a human-to be religious; to be scientific or both? In my point of view it is both.. In our nature we are religious but as we become more scientific, some disregard their religious nature and solely hold their newly develop scientific nature. But for me, it should blend well. We can't get rid of religion because it is our nature just like we can't get rid of eating because it is our nature to eat.To those who get rid of religion makes their life incompatible to the world.We can be scientific but at the same time we can be religious.

This is for me. Now, I want to know which do you think is the true essence of being human.Is it being religious, scientific or both?

Let's discuss it because it is important in our lives. Thank you.. and God bless us all!!!

Edited by Randolpin

I don't think it's a well poised question. For one thing the definitions are not well defined, and the forced optional answers do not cover all of the options.

A better question might be why has humanity evolved to have religions? Is it a further development of superstition, which we've observed in other animals such as pigeons?

We can't get rid of religion because it is our nature just like we can't get rid of eating because it is our nature to eat.

So people who are not religious are not human? That way lies a path to evil.

To those who get rid of religion makes their life incompatible to the world.

In what way are people who have lost their religion incompatible with the world? There seem to be many happy and successful people in this group.

And what about people who never had any religion? Are they also incompatible with the world?

I dislike the format. Randolpin, you have a real tendency to beg the question when it comes to religious topics. You assume things like "In our nature, we are religious", which I totally disagree with, but insist on blind acceptance of your weird beliefs.

Just wanted to let you know why I'm only investing in one post in your thread.

Neither. There are unscientific humans and unreligious humans.

The true essence of being human is to have the potential to produce fertile offspring with other humans. Where "potential" has to be viewed sufficiently broad to include humans that are infertile due to illness or trauma.

I already found the answer to this question but I will ask this for those who don't encounter this question. What is the true essence of being a human-to be religious; to be scientific or both? In my point of view it is both.. In our nature we are religious but as we become more scientific, some disregard their religious nature and solely hold their newly develop scientific nature. But for me, it should blend well. We can't get rid of religion because it is our nature just like we can't get rid of eating because it is our nature to eat.To those who get rid of religion makes their life incompatible to the world.We can be scientific but at the same time we can be religious.

This is for me. Now, I want to know which do you think is the true essence of being human.Is it being religious, scientific or both?

Let's discuss it because it is important in our lives. Thank you.. and God bless us all!!!

It's neither. If I had to state a one sentence punch line I'd say that the true essence of being human is "To live in harmony with yourself and the nature around you while constantly bettering yourself"

I deeply disagree with literally every sentence you wrote in your OP. It pains me to see in your profile that you are a teacher, poor students :(

Edited by koti

It's neither. If I had to state a one sentence punch line I'd say that the true essence of being human is "To live in harmony with yourself and the nature around you"

It pains me to see in your profile that you are a teacher.

There is nothing wrong becoming religious at the same time scientific. There are lots of well-known scientist and thinkers that are religious also.. example Isaac Newton..

Why do people always need to revert to the 17th century to reference a religious scientist ;)

It is not the number of years had passed but how they live life being religious and being scientific which could still apply today.

It's neither. If I had to state a one sentence punch line I'd say that the true essence of being human is "To live in harmony with yourself and the nature around you while constantly bettering yourself"

I deeply disagree with literally every sentence you wrote in your OP. It pains me to see in your profile that you are a teacher, poor students :(

Why you deeply disagree it? Kindly expound it so I can explain it more clearly..

Why you deeply disagree it? Kindly expound it so I can explain it more clearly..

I would like to kindly ask you to exempt me from explanation and I would like to withdraw from this conversation. My further participation will only bring havoc to everybody.

There is nothing wrong becoming religious at the same time scientific. There are lots of well-known scientist and thinkers that are religious also.. example Isaac Newton..

And lots of examples of people who are one or the other or neither.

What I try to explain here guys is that there is nothing wrong being religious at the same time being scientific.

No, you said that people who were not religious were not human and were incompatible with the world.

That is a pretty offensive comment.

I want to know which do you think is the true essence of being human.Is it being religious, scientific or both?

Religion is full of contradictions and has nothing to do with being human. Religion does have a role in ordering and controlling some societies, giving social cohesion and a sense of belonging to a social group for some less educated people.

To contradict the line of social cohesion. If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. – Luke 14.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." – Professor Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.

Religion is promoted by many politicians today, who seem to think it is a good thing or perhaps a vote winner. Religion to most thinking people is bipolar, and is the root cause of much of the social unrest in the world today. Much of it appears to be based on myth and stories borrowed from other religions..

On the question of god, there is another qoute in Luke that states something along the lines of "dont you know that god is in you and around you and everything you see" in the past this may have been the ether today this would be the god particle or something like that.

Hope this helps, and is not offensive to anyone.

Kind Rgds

Andy

What I try to explain here guys is that there is nothing wrong being religious at the same time being scientific. This is for me. I only asked what is for you?

Then why didn't you just ask it like this? If they keep religion and science separate, I have no problem with it.

Of course, that excludes quite a lot of religious views.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." – Professor Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.

It's the Trump creature isn't it?

My goal in posting this guys is not to offend you but only ask you, what is the proper way of living life as a human being..

Not as offensive as Randolpin's post.

Sorry if it is offensive. I don't really want to hurt you. What I only want is to know what is your say about the true essence of being human.. What I said in my OP is just an opinion.. Edited by Randolpin

What I said in my OP is just an opinion..

So it is OK to say a group of people are not human if it is "just an opinion"? You are not a bigot if your bigotry is "just an opinion"?

I'm sure all sorts of minority groups will be very reassured by the fact all the attacks they endure are "just an opinion".

The Trump thing is a worry globally. US bases here are ramping up activity, and the claimed very religious human thing D rump is possibly going to do something very bad, in the very near future.

The essence of being human I would imagine is the same as the essence of being an animal, neither need religion, both can be nice to each other without religion, and both can hope all things go well for another animal they care about and express emotion, all mammals cry when upset, and express anger.

Humans are animals which have quite happily evolved on the planet along with all other life on the planet, (unless of course you are talking ET coming down from heaven, and impregnating some women, then buzzing of again, taking the odd prophet with them:) . If the religious texts are taken literally are they not talking about ET being a god solar discs and the like:) ).

So in order to clarify what really my point is which is not offending is that the real question is-> "How to live life for you?" This is my question in order to solve any issue with regards to my question. I'm really really very sorry.Nobody's perfect.We are only humans. Good intention for me could be misunderstood by others as bad intention. But again sorry....