Music in Sound and Color

Donno if this exactly fits into this catagory, but I don't know which one it does fit in:

I know an octave of frequency is just its double--- thats simple--- I also have the equation for figuring any musical frequency(written down somewhere, you can look it up yourself if you want, well actually if you even don't want to go through that just email me and I'll find out for you)

I was just wondering if anyone knows the reason why we have 7 musical notes each octave---- is there a scientific reason for these degrees or is it just the standard way used. If there is a scientific reason notice that there are 7 notes, and also seven colors. We know why there are those colors, so is there some way to think of notes as colors? Make equations for music and translate it also into color---- yes I know sound and light are different types of wave, maybe I am completely oblivious to how different----- but hey thats why I am posting this.

Oh and also, as far as the electromagnetic spectrum goes, we see what we call visble light, but radio and all other waves of the kind could be called light too, that we just don't see because diff friequencies. If we could see the whole range what would octaves(doubles and halves) of frequency look like?

I'm pretty sure my ideas assume to much connections and universalness----- Einstein tried his whole life to come up with a unified theory and never succeded. So please tell me your response, thats my whole quest-- know the truth

It's to do with the frequencies of standing waves.

However, we have more than 7 colours and more than 7 notes in each octive; ABCDEFG is all very well, but don't forget the semitone differences.

You're correctt in saying that it's all just light though, it's just of a much differing wavelength.

Oh, and 'colour' is just an arbitrary system applied by our brains to distinguish between different visable frequencies of light.

But there must be mathmatical reasons why certain colors occur in mixing colors, so I wanted to know if that could corrilate to make corresponding musical colors.

Hey and what would doubles and halves of light frequencies look like if we could see the whole spectrum?

Originally posted by NavajoEverclear

But there must be mathmatical reasons why certain colors occur in mixing colors, so I wanted to know if that could corrilate to make corresponding musical colors.

Hey and what would doubles and halves of light frequencies look like if we could see the whole spectrum?

It would depend on how our brains interpreted the signals from our eyes.

Originally posted by NavajoEverclear

it is quite possible to double and halve light frequencies using nonlinear optics, so if you take something like a red at about 650nm and frequency double it, you get 325nm light, which is down in the violet somewhere, probably UV (I can never remember what colour different wavelengths are. I just do it by a few lasers, so 514.3nm is the basic green for an Argon Ion laser)