What are you watching right now?

koti

Here's a breathtaking 36 minute slideshow of the greatest photographers in history:

If you like photography I would advise you to look at the works from Fan Ho (who is not featured). Hi photos from the 50s are incredibly modern while depicting the remnants of a bygone age.

If you like photography I would advise you to look at the works from Fan Ho (who is not featured). Hi photos from the 50s are incredibly modern while depicting the remnants of a bygone age.

I know his work and I love it. Most of his photographs are stunning and his style was (he died last year) truly ahead of his time.

It was indeed. The first time I saw them I really thought they were contemporary and then one notices the mid-century subjects and it got confusing in a really exciting way. He was certainly up there with Cartier-Bresson and colleagues. Normally I am not a fan of composite photos but even those (which he probably did not do himself) were quite neat, to a large extent due to his choice of subjects but also the incredible use of patterns.

It was indeed. The first time I saw them I really thought they were contemporary and then one notices the mid-century subjects and it got confusing in a really exciting way. He was certainly up there with Cartier-Bresson and colleagues. Normally I am not a fan of composite photos but even those (which he probably did not do himself) were quite neat, to a large extent due to his choice of subjects but also the incredible use of patterns.

How timely, I've just been thinking about pulling my dark room gear out and going 35mm again. He was a great photographer.

Edited by StringJunky

Oh please do that. Teach them kids with their cellphones or their 15fps machine guns how to capture decisive moments :)

Also working in the darkroom is fun (as long as you knock over the bottles because you couldn't see them...)

Edited by CharonY

Oh please do that. Teach them kids with their cellphones or their 15fps machine guns how to capture decisive moments :)

Also working in the darkroom is fun (as long as you knock over the bottles because you couldn't see them...)

It's not the tool that makes a great photograph but I'm all in with you on the nostalgia.

Yes. It's a different way of thinking. I never quite mastered the Zone System when developing and printing and I'm getting a bit of an itch to remedy that. I like digital but I've already got the dark room gear and my MO is anticipating and capturing the shot with one shot so it suits me fine.

It's not the tool that makes a great photograph but I'm all in with you on the nostalgia.

The difference is that the old style forces you to think more about what you are doing and, hence, you will more likely produce your intent rather than producing an accidentally-great photograph amongst the myriad exposures from a multi-frame job. A good picture is a good picture but a pre-conceived picture is more personally rewarding than one that just happens because one actually creates it; it's an artistic statement. This is my take on it and i respect anybody's take that might be different. Different strokes... My idea of gear-heaven is an FM2 or FM2n; mechanical with a separate light-meter.

Edited by StringJunky

Yes. It's a different way of thinking. I never quite mastered the Zone System when developing and printing and I'm getting a bit of an itch to remedy that. I like digital but I've already got the dark room gear and my MO is anticipating and capturing the shot with one shot so it suits me fine.

The difference is that the old style forces you to think more about what you are doing and, hence, you will more likely produce your intent rather than producing an accidentally-great photograph amongst the myriad exposures from a multi-frame job. A good picture is a good picture but a pre-conceived picture is more personally rewarding than one that just happens because one actually creates it; it's an artistic statement. This is my take on it and i respect anybody's take that might be different. Different strokes... My idea of gear-heaven is an FM2 or FM2n; mechanical with a separate light-meter.

I agree. I have both experiences, analog and digital and although I never had my own darkroom a friend did in the late 80's - good times. I hope you will revive your 35mm film gear.

As for my dream gear it would be digital these days, its just so much more versatile. I just had to sell my lenses but I will be getting it all back some time in the future Im sure.

Heres a link to some of my amature work (I hope its appropriate) All photos taken with Canon 40d and 2 lenses - 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 70-200 f/4 L IS.

https://www.behance.net/koti

Edited by koti

Precisely what I am getting at. In a way they make you force more to about thinking about the image. Of course, you can put the constraints on yourself otherwise, even with a modern camera, but in the former case you will have no choice (or pay a lot for bad pics). To be honest, though, I will admit that due to time constraints I am a bit more of a gearhead than photographer. Getting good at the latter takes more practice than I am able to invest and I really never really got above technically competent picture taking myself (though to be fair, in case of wildlife you may not have much choice other than just shooting away and hoping for the best, unless you can really spend days or weeks at a spot).

That being said I do love the feel of the Olympus OM series (the viewfinder especially). But from a purely technical viewpoint I would not be adverse to try out one of the new mirrorless medium formats. But currently I shoot (when I can) using M43 as I can slip them in my bag in the (forlorn hope) that I may find some time somewhere just to look at things a bit more.

Edited by CharonY

I am watching the crown right now.

Are you still awake?

LOL

I turn the crown on when I can't sleep.

Does the trick Everytime.

I used to watch golf or soccer for that, but Das Crown bests em both.

As far as my latest Netflix binge watch, I finished the awesome Lilyhammer... So now I'm on to Luke Cage.

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh I hope they will not screw this up. The soundtrack suggests that they won't. I think the sounds in this are incredible and are worthy of the original film:

• 2 months later...

I'm watching another one of Leonard Susskind.

"Entanglement and the Hooks that Hold Space Together"

I like how he compares entanglement over a boundary in quantum field theory with lacing patterns of a corset :)

Edited by Itoero