The Whole Humanity

Randolpin

We are part of this human species. As a sane human, what is your impression to the human society nowadays interms of ethical perspective. IS it advancing or degrading? Does it developing or mis-developing. Does new ideologies help it to become better or make it more worse? There are ideologies of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Does the ideologies of today is better than yesterday or vice versa??

Response are very much welcome to cultivate a wholesome clarity with regards to this question of our humanity.. Thank you..

Since worldwide our health and lifespan is increasing, and poverty, war, hunger and violence is decreasing, I think we are generally on the right track.

Ethics seems to be evolving towards more equality and away from specific religious views, which is great.

1. The world is obviously moving towards a permanent state of peace and cooperation until a severe case creates strong enmity.

2. I can't accept that poverty and hunger are on the decline. If we take the global scenario, there is a rapid rise in immigration. Cause is known to all- Syria and the IS. Moreover, population control is the need of the hour. Most third world nations has no policy of birth regulation. Particularly in the Asian countries, there is very poor supply of proper nutrition. Healthcare is too bad in the underdeveloped countries of Africa and Asia. However there is scope of improvement. But, in my opinion, population explosion is the root cause of everything and we must take stern steps to control it.

3. Problem of environmental degradation is another big issue. The only way to resolve this is to control our birth rate and spread awareness regarding the problem.

4. No one will disagree that we are quite advanced technologically. Today's gadgets have made life too comfortable. However it's side effect is the increasing health problems. People tend to get addicted to their mobiles, forget that physical exercises are necessary. Result is obesity.

2. Look at the global numbers instead of specific examples. The situation is not ideal, but better than ever before.

3. This has been a problem since the industrial revolution, and we managed to tackle environmental issues of the past. I agree that we need to remain vigilant.

4. We can only die of obesity because we die less from other causes.

2. I can't accept that poverty and hunger are on the decline. If we take the global scenario, there is a rapid rise in immigration. Cause is known to all- Syria and the IS. Moreover, population control is the need of the hour. Most third world nations has no policy of birth regulation. Particularly in the Asian countries, there is very poor supply of proper nutrition. Healthcare is too bad in the underdeveloped countries of Africa and Asia. However there is scope of improvement. But, in my opinion, population explosion is the root cause of everything and we must take stern steps to control it.

Note that the global birth rate has already dropped below that needed to maintain the world population. Which is why the population will shortly peak and then start dropping. This is not because of birth regulation (which does not work very well and would not be accepted in most countries) but because of improved health, wealth and education (especially for women).

Poverty and health are still not great in many parts of the world, but they have improved massively over recent decades and are continuing to do so.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24836917

I recommend watching all of Hans Rosling's videos. Search for them on YouTube or start here:

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen

http://www.gapminder.org

QUOTE "Today's gadgets have made life too comfortable"

Really? - Tell that to the starving poor in India and Africa, tell it to the people that struggle everyday just to keep their children from dying of starvation. Tell it to the depressed, alcoholic, unemployed with 4 kids on UK council estates. Speak for your self on that one mate. How can we ever become TOO comfortable? That sounds like the kind of anti tech talk I get from New Age hippies that generally have a chip on their shoulder about things they don't understand.

Sorry for the (slightly) emotional response, but I find it a little insulting to suggest that we are 'too comfortable' because of new and fascinating techs in the world. It reminds me of the 'it was better in our day' BS that plagues every generation of old people.

QUOTE:"..addicted to mobiles.... result is obesity" - and people said the same about televisions, transport, radios, books.... etc.

Hi DrP, I haven't meant to hurt by that statement. But, new technology is certainly labour saving. And increased technology had an inverse effect on people's lifestyle. Todays industry is technology driven and not labour intensive. So a good deal of the man power has been thrown out into the streets. That's a factor which has caused unemployment. Moreover, the acute poverty of the underdeveloped countries is what I wanted to highlight. The cause of poverty is price rise, which is mainly due to influx of immigrants and lack of proper education, which decreases a person's scope of employment in today's competitive market.

Sorry for the (slightly) emotional response, but I find it a little insulting to suggest that we are 'too comfortable' because of new and fascinating techs in the world. It reminds me of the 'it was better in our day' BS that plagues every generation of old people.

Excuse an equally emotional response. I am of the generation of old people, past retirement age, but still working. Things are a ****k sight better today than they were in the past and any old person who tells you different was probably an idiot even when they were young!

Edited by Argent

How does an influx of immigrants cause price rises or poverty?

Quote: "an increased technology had an inverse effect on people's lifestyle." How? Anything that saves us precious time and effort is great... Are you going to claim that the wheel was a bad ideas because we now use less effort to cart things around, thus there are less carrying jobs and people are less strong from all the carrying they are no longer doing?

The world continues to evolve in it's thinking and progression. Carrying jobs are no longer available, but we have new jobs now that people can do which replace them. If you are worried about fitness you can take up an energetic hobby or just go to the gym. Why blame advancing technology on the worlds social problem?

You are from India? India gets a lot of international aid. It is often asked why a country with an advanced space program needs aid to feed the poor. Can you shed some light on why people of lower castes and the disabled are treated so badly and left to starve and fend for themselves whilst the government spends billions on space programs (sorry if this wrong - please correct me if I am mistaken). (Also, I do not want to sound hypocritical, we have homeless people here too).

...and I wasn't really hurt by your statement, sorry of I gave that impression. I want to see the world grow in it's ability to create and design new things.. having people blame technology for the worlds problems just pisses me off - it is the greed and laziness in the world that is the problem imo, not technology.

@Argent - yea - it was better in the way that you could bully people and be obnoxious and get away with it. You could legally rape your wife. You could be as racist as you liked without recourse... fantastic days! Not that long ago either - civilization is still in it's infancy.

In India, there are many reasons behind poverty.

Firstly, rural areas are more poverty stricken than urban areas. There is better opportunities in cities, and so people migrate to those areas. If you do google a little, you would find that our Government has a policy known as NREGA(National Rural Employment Guarantee Act), which promises to every family below the poverty line a 100 days of work with good wages. However, it hasn't been implemented rightly. Moreover the ill-will of certain officers has caused a decline in the efficiency of the government in spite of having lucrative opportunities.

Secondly, people who migrate to urban areas do so in the hope of getting better income. However urban jobs demand qualification, which is lacking in their cases. This drives them to live in shabby areas called slums. They generally get some odd jobs, or do nothing but beggary.

Thirdly, if you know the neighbouring countries of India, you would find most of them underdeveloped or in the developing stage( except China). People immigrate from their countries and enter into our nation. This adds up to the net population. Thus, demand for every commodity increases beyond their supply. And the result is price rise.

The last point about immigration is nowadays becoming a problem in Europe also, I think. Syrians and the Rohinga tribes of Myanmar needs shelter. They are entering into the European countries. ( I know this only from newspapers. If it's wrong, then please let me know the current situation in Europe or in the West.)

It's not wrong, but the negative impacts are usually dramaticised by the papers. Even if it isn't dramaticizsed they only focus on the negatives. They play on people's fears to sell papers.

Any way - I'm off for a bit - Happy Easter. Peace out.