depression bad on the brain.

quickquestion

some days my depression gets real bad. and i lose the motivation to do anything. I think that if earth wasn't such a garbage world the quality of science would increase. Science wouldn't even be a "thing" just a basic piece of conversation like music. Instead of "Oh, did you listen to the latest Pop tunes" people would discuss equations with each other.

I remember googling something and it showed scientific evidence that depression decreases intelligence in the brain. When i am depressed I dont feel as smart...and the sad thing is that during these moments I dont even care. I dont remember what search terms I put exactly so I can't find the link.

basically, i hate this world and i wish for a better world. basically if i was a character on the big bang theory or Eureka i would be an anti-social villian.

Edited by quickquestion

The world doesn't hate you, whatever you wish for.

Maybe not, but I often get the feeling that the world is completely indifferent. Everybody very involved in their own little existence with no time or energy for anybody else. That is difficult to come to terms with.

The world doesn't hate you, whatever you wish for.

The world doesn't know me to hate me. But on an individual basis, many people don't treat me with the slightest shred of human decency.

Maybe not, but I often get the feeling that the world is completely indifferent. Everybody very involved in their own little existence with no time or energy for anybody else. That is difficult to come to terms with.

Basically, it is a sign of the times. Generation whatever-they-call it, 2000's so to speak. People would rather post meaningless selfies than act respectful to other living beings. People are raised totally wrong. And in this age noone is properly disciplined and are sheltered from having any consequences for their disrespectful behavoir. Take "ghosting" for instance.

Edited by quickquestion

Good and bad things co-exist all the time. What you choose to see is up to you. A fair amount of depression is about how you interpret things that happen or have happened. A depressed person tends to see things in a 'glass is half-empty' light. It is possible, with some concerted effort, to cognitively change how you feel by changing your interpretation of things by thinking about what good you got out of something rather than what you didn't get out of it. You hate the world because you are looking at the worst things, try focusing on the best things for a while.

Good and bad things co-exist all the time. What you choose to see is up to you. A fair amount of depression is about how you interpret things that happen or have happened. A depressed person tends to see things in a 'glass is half-empty' light. It is possible, with some concerted effort, to cognitively change how you feel by changing your interpretation of things by thinking about what good you got out of something rather than what you didn't get out of it. You hate the world because you are looking at the worst things, try focusing on the best things for a while.

I compare social norms with social norms of the past.

I have a lot of fake friends who continually disrespect me and post selfies instead of treating me in a civilized manner and conducting themselves as a human being.

Now you might say, Oh but ww2.

It's not my job I was never born in ww2, I can only state what I despise about modern culture (or lack thereof). And my wish is to have humans conduct themselves in a human and civilized manner, not grown adults who behave like little Brats who post pictures of themselves drunk and painting their finger nails, while they rudely ignore my attempts to communicate them as a functioning civilized human being. Such rudeness will not be tolerated and is a fine indicator that we are losing the values of what makes civilization, civilization. Humans are becoming no longer a culture of "human", but more like a culture of degenerate primate hominids.

Edited by quickquestion

You've summed up my reply before I had chance to write it +1.

I can only state what I despise about modern culture (or lack thereof). And my wish is to have humans conduct themselves in a human and civilized manner, not grown adults who behave like little Brats who post pictures of themselves drunk and painting their finger nails, while they rudely ignore my attempts to communicate them as a functioning civilized human being. Such rudeness will not be tolerated and is a fine indicator that we are losing the values of what makes civilization, civilization. Humans are becoming no longer a culture of "human", but more like a culture of degenerate primate hominids.

You first...

You've summed up my reply before I had chance to write it +1.

The only reason the world is good at all, is because a small portion of individuals (scientists) made it that way. Computer technology, transportation and easy food-access are basically what makes the modern era "bearable"...because the vast majority of people in the modern generation are beyond unbearable and are totally despicable.

Edited by quickquestion

Depression occurs due to some lack of emotional fulfilment. Statistics show that majority of today's people are prone to depressions. The cause is varied. Some people feel depressed due to some break ups. Some feel a peer pressure due to inability to achieve their goals, or feel ashamed to face the society due to some minor or major issues. Cases also exist where youths go into a state of utter depression and hopelessness due to some of their activities that aren't quite wrong but enkindles dislike towards him from his parents or relatives. Again there are also people who are extremely introvert and doesn't interact well with the community, resulting in a depression. Other reasons include certain phobias, obsessive impulsive disorder or sleeplessness.

The immediate step is to understand what causes the depression. Try to understand it, then think of a way to forget it. You must always be optimistic. Remember: Every cloud has a silver lining.

Problem is that lots of depressions are not caused by how you view and interpret things, nor how you want to interpret them. When pure neuroscience lies at the basis, it is a matter (don't let me make it sound easy) of treating it medically.

OP, forgive me my directness, but are you monitored/under treatment by a physician for your depression? If yes, could you share your experiences? If not, why not? Would you consider medical treatment as a possible option?

I compare social norms with social norms of the past.

I have a lot of fake friends who continually disrespect me and post selfies instead of treating me in a civilized manner and conducting themselves as a human being.

Now you might say, Oh but ww2.

It's not my job I was never born in ww2, I can only state what I despise about modern culture (or lack thereof). And my wish is to have humans conduct themselves in a human and civilized manner, not grown adults who behave like little Brats who post pictures of themselves drunk and painting their finger nails, while they rudely ignore my attempts to communicate them as a functioning civilized human being. Such rudeness will not be tolerated and is a fine indicator that we are losing the values of what makes civilization, civilization. Humans are becoming no longer a culture of "human", but more like a culture of degenerate primate hominids.

I think people have been saying "What is the world coming to?" since the beginning of language. It's in constant flux and it gets a lot easier when you accept that. Nothing is constant except change.

The cause is varied. Some people feel depressed due to (...)

That's a major difference with having a depression (i.e. clinical depression, major depressive disorder). Surely anyone feels depressed at some moment, but the difference is that you can 'easily' overcome this with time, without any specific treatment.

Having a depressive disorder, however ... Negative experiences may make you feel more depressed then, indeed, but they may also contribute to a deterioration of the depression, which is really bad.

Computer technology, transportation and easy food-access are basically what makes the modern era "bearable"...because the vast majority of people in the modern generation are beyond unbearable and are totally despicable.

Well, consider the possibility that these two phenomena are two sides of the same coin. There have been societies with a total absence of computer technology which have left evidence to suggest that life was very meaningful, even if not quite so comfortable.

The only reason the world is good at all, is because a small portion of individuals (scientists) made it that way.

People make it that way (and by people I mean you), some of whom are scientists.

Computer technology, transportation and easy food-access are basically what makes the modern era "bearable"...

Grow up and smell the coffee...

People make it that way (and by people I mean you), some of whom are scientists.

Grow up and smell the coffee...

Yes, but my point was the vast majority of people suck and are unbearable, therefore I hate the world, even if a small portion of the people in the world are tolerable.

Yes, but my point was the vast majority of people suck and are unbearable, therefore I hate the world, even if a small portion of the people in the world are tolerable.

Then concentrate on the tiny number of people who are not like that, and ignore the rest.

Whenever you feel depressed, listen to some music. That will certainly helps.

Indeed ... Important to calm down and relax at times, too. Chronic stress contributes to depressive disorders, I'm not sure how, but I'd guess cortisol just keeps on destroying your neurons (which is the case), which downstream might contribute to the deterioration of cognition and ergo, depression (which is not certainly the case).

Yes I get it, but my point is, 'smile and the world smiles back' and that starts with you because 'frown and the world turns its back'.

It's your choice so stop blaming everyone else.

Depression occurs due to some lack of emotional fulfilment. Statistics show that majority of today's people are prone to depressions. The cause is varied. Some people feel depressed due to some break ups. Some feel a peer pressure due to inability to achieve their goals, or feel ashamed to face the society due to some minor or major issues. Cases also exist where youths go into a state of utter depression and hopelessness due to some of their activities that aren't quite wrong but enkindles dislike towards him from his parents or relatives. Again there are also people who are extremely introvert and doesn't interact well with the community, resulting in a depression. Other reasons include certain phobias, obsessive impulsive disorder or sleeplessness.

The immediate step is to understand what causes the depression. Try to understand it, then think of a way to forget it. You must always be optimistic. Remember: Every cloud has a silver lining.

The main reason for my depression is because people are unbearable and continuosly disrespect me and deny me my human needs.

Here is an example...I will have a friend who I try to talk to, but they just ignore me and instead post stupid selfies, like apparently civilized human conduct is gone out the window or something...Even in Star Trek Clingons and Romulus talk and communicate to the Enterprise...this society has fallen so far that so-called friends treat "so-called friends" worse than they would treat their worst enemy.

Not to mention, the other reason I am depressed is because there is such lack of quality in art...take for example Wii games. And then I go on Facebook and see all these people with no taste just flooding their walls with mediocrity.

And the other reason I am depressed is because I am alone each night, except for the rats that hide in my walls (If only I had an Thermal sensor and a highpowered bb gun.)

Then concentrate on the tiny number of people who are not like that, and ignore the rest.

These tiny number of people won't make me not alone, so I have to tinker with the ever growing majority of detestable machines who act rude and difficult to me.

Well, consider the possibility that these two phenomena are two sides of the same coin. There have been societies with a total absence of computer technology which have left evidence to suggest that life was very meaningful, even if not quite so comfortable.

I wouldn't want to live in those worlds. Not a fan of cold showers or lack of computer technology. Sometimes I wonder if consciousness was ever even in those worlds, those people could very well have been pzombies.

OP, forgive me my directness, but are you monitored/under treatment by a physician for your depression? If yes, could you share your experiences? If not, why not? Would you consider medical treatment as a possible option?

The whole medical industry is a joke. Last time I was admitted half-of the nurses bullied and insulted me and said rude things to me.

It's all about the pills. I take my pills but I get a resistance to them. I have to take breaks or else they won't have much of an effect. I want to try marijuana but the politicians put such a war on it it's hard for me to find legal ways to get it. I have next to zero confidence in the competence of modern doctors...one time I almost died and the doctors couldn't even realize it was due to a bacterial toxicity, instead they blamed it on dehydration (dehydration was only a symptom, not a cause.) And these doctors are very incompetent with the pills as well, one time I almost died from some of the pills they gave me too. I have to change my current meds because one of them is killing me too.

These tiny number of people won't make me not alone, so I have to tinker with the ever growing majority of detestable machines who act rude and difficult to me.

I wouldn't want to live in those worlds. Not a fan of cold showers or lack of computer technology.

Computer technology is clearly part of your problem. Switch the computer off (not many people know where the OFF button is) and forget the on-line morons. Go and meet real people. Some are quite nice.

The main reason for my depression is because people are unbearable and continuosly disrespect me and deny me my human needs.

Here is an example...I will have a friend who I try to talk to, but they just ignore me and instead post stupid selfies, like apparently civilized human conduct is gone out the window or something...Even in Star Trek Clingons and Romulus talk and communicate to the Enterprise...this society has fallen so far that so-called friends treat "so-called friends" worse than they would treat their worst enemy.

Not to mention, the other reason I am depressed is because there is such lack of quality in art...take for example Wii games. And then I go on Facebook and see all these people with no taste just flooding their walls with mediocrity.

And the other reason I am depressed is because I am alone each night, except for the rats that hide in my walls (If only I had an Thermal sensor and a highpowered bb gun.)

I wouldn't want to live in those worlds. Not a fan of cold showers or lack of computer technology. Sometimes I wonder if consciousness was ever even in those worlds, those people could very well have been pzombies.

The whole medical industry is a joke. Last time I was admitted half-of the nurses bullied and insulted me and said rude things to me.

It's all about the pills. I take my pills but I get a resistance to them. I have to take breaks or else they won't have much of an effect. I want to try marijuana but the politicians put such a war on it it's hard for me to find legal ways to get it. I have next to zero confidence in the competence of modern doctors...one time I almost died and the doctors couldn't even realize it was due to a bacterial toxicity, instead they blamed it on dehydration (dehydration was only a symptom, not a cause.) And these doctors are very incompetent with the pills as well, one time I almost died from some of the pills they gave me too. I have to change my current meds because one of them is killing me too.

You're either a troll or a 5YO but since you can string a sentence, I favour the former.

Edited by dimreepr

You're either a troll or a 5YO but since you can string a sentence, I favour the former.

Maybe you think so because most people would hide the truth because they care about what society thinks, you see the difference with me is that I no longer care about what society thinks, I haven't for years, thus I could care less about disclosing things such as "rats in my walls". It really makes no difference to me, people are going to judge me regardless and be unfair to me regardless, the effect rats would have on them is minimal. I might as well have thousands of rats, people would mistreat me and put me through hell even if I lived in a mansion in LA. I've stopped caring about fitting in to the bogus and pathetic social norms everyone is pressured into at early ages.

Computer technology is clearly part of your problem. Switch the computer off (not many people know where the OFF button is) and forget the on-line morons. Go and meet real people. Some are quite nice.

Yeah Facebook I hate, but it's the only way I have to communicate with them. And they just continue on being rude to me on Facebook such that I can never actually talk with them over or have any kind of social life.

Yes I get it, but my point is, 'smile and the world smiles back' and that starts with you because 'frown and the world turns its back'.

It's your choice so stop blaming everyone else.

But you're blaming me and not everyone else.

It's like if I told you I go to a school where I get bullied and molested everyday, you will just tell me "Don't frown, smile, stop blaming everyone else. The school isn't so bad."

Indeed ... Important to calm down and relax at times, too. Chronic stress contributes to depressive disorders, I'm not sure how, but I'd guess cortisol just keeps on destroying your neurons (which is the case), which downstream might contribute to the deterioration of cognition and ergo, depression (which is not certainly the case).

Hard to calm down when you can't even basically communicate with human society and the future feels hopeless.

Whenever you feel depressed, listen to some music. That will certainly helps.

It did when I was 20, loses it's effect when I've had to deal with a lot of the same crap year after year.

I think people have been saying "What is the world coming to?" since the beginning of language. It's in constant flux and it gets a lot easier when you accept that. Nothing is constant except change.

Doesn't work like that...if certain conditions are met, and nothing changes, it can get trapped in a cesspool of stagnation, like a disease. It's like a pitfall. If society gets so diseased it that it can never be cured from it's disease, the look forward to an eternity of crappy society.

You can't change other's views. If your friends post their selfies, instead of scorning at them press the like button. You have got either of the two ways: change your view or fall into unnecessary depressions.

You should accept the harsh truth that each person on this world have their unique tastes and individual personality.

It's like if I told you I go to a school where I get bullied and molested everyday, you will just tell me "Don't frown, smile, stop blaming everyone else. The school isn't so bad."

So don't go to that school, your choice; focus on now not yesterday.