The Effects of Lo-Fi Hip Hop

Okay... So we all know that music affects our brains in many different ways.... and, we also know what genres do what to the brain..... BUT, what about the new genres, like Lo-Fi Hip Hop? And what does it say about you? I've tried looking into it and quizzing myself, as well as asking others to quiz me and analyze me, but have found almost nothing. Please, explain, I would love to know.

Hmm..But DO we truly know how the different genres of music effect our minds? I use the word mind here in lieu of your term brain, as I think it more accurate in this case. The mind being what comprises our emotions, while the brain is merely an organ.

In any case, I'm not sure we do know. For instance, does everybody get the same emotional affect from Classical? Or heavy metal? I think maybe not. My wife says metal calms her. While some if not most people would say it Ramps them up, so to speak. Our past experiences with certain genres would definitely play a significant factor in this as well. What if a Bach violin concerto was playing when your kitchen caught fire? Would that piece then have the same calming effect on you later when you heard it as it does on many others with no such past connective experience? Again, I think not.

So my illustrations here are probably in line with my answer to your basic query. Not all music effects us all in the same way. Further, since music is basically an art form and thus very subjective and personal, how you feel about a particular genre can not be objectively construed as good or bad or right or wrong. So...I think your premise is a no go from the gitgo.

Sorry, probably not the answer you were hoping for. But in science we must first validate premises before we can begin to extract hypotheses from them. And in this instance I cannot come close to validating your basic premises.

Edited by Velocity_Boy

I understand. Thanks for the clarification, and generally, metal calms me down as well. But yeah, I see your point.

Thanks. This topic has been bandied about here before in slightly different forms, including one that queried about the effect of different music genres on plants! I love music, personally, so it is a topic of interest to me. But it's more complex than meets the eye at first. And it seems new discoveries are being made all the time that refute old paradigms on the topic. For example, I recently read that the so-called Mozart Effect for infants has been discredited. Personally I like to have music on ALL the time. And change the genre in accordance with my given circumstances. Such as: rock or hip hop for working out or running; Jazz or Classical for reading or studying, or even New Age--anything without lyrics, as they distract me. So I guess the only thing we can say for sure is thaat music does effect our moods, and it is visceral, and these effects are usually very subjective and personal.