Fast heart rate problem

There are some drugs which provoke fast heart rate. For example, Benadryl is one of the best sedatives available, but some people complain that if taken regularly it may increase pulse rate to dangerous levels. Do exist some over-counter drugs or herbs which can dramatically reduce this problem taken with Benadryl? And what are the best prescription drugs of that kind?

There are some drugs which provoke fast heart rate. For example, Benadryl is one of the best sedatives available, but some people complain that if taken regularly it may increase pulse rate to dangerous levels. Do exist some over-counter drugs or herbs which can dramatically reduce this problem taken with Benadryl? And what are the best prescription drugs of that kind?

The best class I know of of prescribed meds that are hr inhibitors are the beta blockers. They're prescribed a lot to folks for performance anxiety, as a far lesser dangerous or potentially addicting drug like your benzos.

I know you asked about otc drugs, however, and not Rx. So....I might suggest Valerian root? It has been known to offer a nice calming effect for many people. I sometimes take it before racing, and it's proven moderately useful.

Lastly....You Do realize Benadryl isn't a sedative, right? Diphenhydramine (C17 H21 NO) is just a chemical compound that acts as an antihistamine. But yeah it might cause done drowsiness in some folks.its is decidedly not a CNS depressant, however. It Jack's me up! As for all those antihistamines for some strange reason. It's almost like amphetamines for me. Weird. I'll have to research that one of these days.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/443672-supplements-to-lower-heart-rate/

Edited by Velocity_Boy

• 3 weeks later...

Probably best to talk to your Medical Doctor. If none consider a good pharmacist. Too many drugs. Too many interactions. Over the counter medicating can be very dangerous. Respectfully. ex PM, RN.

But be careful in selecting good pharmacists. They're still merchants in medications.