What do you think about Proxima b?

alfa015

Hi!

I would like to share with you guys my brief analysis on the exoplanet Proxima b (first part is introduction to the main features of the planet and my opinion starts in the minute 1:20) SPAM DELETED

What do you think about Proxima b and about my points? I'm sure you know much more about it than me.

Cheers!

The link worked fine for me, but I agree that it would be better, alfa105, if you could summarise your points here on the forum.

One quick questions. I believe the Earth's comparatively rapid rotation is partly responsible for its magnetic field. If Proxima b is tidally locked the field may be absent or weak and therefore the flares Proxima is prone to would potentially harm any life on the planet. (Although I am sure someone imaginative could produce a scenario for life on the dark side.) What are your thoughts on that?

In terms of delivery, your enthusiasm is very clear. Your English is excellent, but the speed of your delivery combined with your accent makes it a little difficult to follow at times. If you could slow that down by 15%-20% then your energy would still come across and it would be easy for your listeners to follow.

On 4/5/2017 at 4:37 PM, Airbrush said:

Your link takes me nowhere in YouTube. Why not post a summary of your opinion?

My apologies, try this one: SPAM DELETED

On 4/5/2017 at 4:52 PM, Argent said:

The link worked fine for me, but I agree that it would be better, alfa105, if you could summarise your points here on the forum.

One quick questions. I believe the Earth's comparatively rapid rotation is partly responsible for its magnetic field. If Proxima b is tidally locked the field may be absent or weak and therefore the flares Proxima is prone to would potentially harm any life on the planet. (Although I am sure someone imaginative could produce a scenario for life on the dark side.) What are your thoughts on that?

In terms of delivery, your enthusiasm is very clear. Your English is excellent, but the speed of your delivery combined with your accent makes it a little difficult to follow at times. If you could slow that down by 15%-20% then your energy would still come across and it would be easy for your listeners to follow.

Ah alright!

Interesting your question! mmmm well, according to the the paper of the discovery, 'several studies have shown that planetary magnetic fields in tidally locked planets can be strong enough to prevent atmospheric erosion by stellar magnetic fields and flares': http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v536/n7617/full/nature19106.html

Mercury for example has magnetic field, but too weak for it's proximity to earth. I think we would need to know how strong are the flares of Proxima Centauri (considering the distance between the star and the exoplanet) and how strong is the magnetic field of Proxima b.

Thank you for the advice, I will try to speak slower in my next video

Cheers.