What is the difference between killing an animal for fun and killing one for food?

EmmaWhat

What is the difference between killing an animal for fun and killing one for food?

What is the difference between hurting or offending someone for fun or doing it for spite or doing it out of hate.

The only way a society can be truly happy is if nothing goes or if anything goes. The problem with drawing lines is that people will always want to move them and other people will always want to cross them.

For the record, I don't find jokes about anything offensive. I just find them distasteful and a cheap unintelligent way of making money. Anyone that needs to make these jokes is either fucked up mentally or is so greedy they'll do anything for money.

I also find the killing of animals for fun just as distasteful and the same people are just as fucked up or greedy. I was just trying to make a point. My point is that if you find anything about the death of a baby funny, then the killing of a giraffe for fun is just as funny.

Edited by EmmaWhat

Waste and overpopulation few would care if we could kill animals with no consequences. Cecil gets killed for fun everybody cares but if you go shoot a pidgeon nobody cares it is only because lions are rare that anybody cares.

What is the difference between hurting or offending someone for fun or doing it for spite or doing it out of hate.

Somebody that really hates you won't stop trying to destroy you regardless of the consequences.

I also find the killing of animals for fun just as distasteful and the same people are just as fucked up or greedy. I was just trying to make a point. My point is that if you find anything about the death of a baby funny, then the killing of a giraffe for fun is just as funny.

Plenty of animals kill babies for instance some stronger males will kill another weaker male's children to mate with the female.

Edited by fiveworlds

The only way a society can be truly happy is if nothing goes or if anything goes. The problem with drawing lines is that people will always want to move them and other people will always want to cross them.

I think your viewpoint is too shallow for someone of your obvious intelligence. Reducing society down to an "either/or" perspective ignores the nuances necessary to make a society of individuals liveable.

Killing an animal because you need to to eat is very different from sport. You seriously can't see that, or are you too first-world? Your other examples all seem negative, yet you don't understand killing to eat is a natural system? I guess in your worldview even eating a salad would be murder, right? Nothing goes.

Reducing society down to an "either/or" perspective ignores the nuances necessary to make a society of individuals liveable.

What do you mean?

Killing an animal because you need to to eat is very different from sport. You seriously can't see that, or are you too first-world?

Yes I can't see that. How is there a difference?

Your other examples all seem negative

What do you mean by negative?

, yet you don't understand killing to eat is a natural system? I guess in your worldview even eating a salad would be murder, right? Nothing goes.

No eating a salad is not murder, how do come by this.

Eating meat is an integral part of our biology. We are adapted to it and we require it for certain nutrients, Life eating other life is a fundamental part of what makes the whole ecosystem work.

If you're a kid and you pull out the legs of a spider to see what happens, that's not necessarily bad. Children want to explore.

If you're a kid, or somewhat older, and you lay your beloved goldfish out of its fish bowl to see how long it can last without water ... Then, there's a problem.

There's more to this than fun and food.

If you kill a person. Well, there's always a problem. But I have strong doubts about the current justice systems and have asked myself multiple times the question whether psychiatry shouldn't get a much larger spot in the current systems. Lots of criminals - imho - do not belong in jail, but in psychiatry and should be treated for their disorder. Or at least, that's what I expect to be the case.

I was relieved when I found out a mother (don't know exactly where she is from anymore, either Belgium or the UK) wasn't locked down in prison after giving her child repetitive overdoses of insulin. She suffers/suffered from the munchhausen by proxy syndrome and should be treated psychiatrically, as is the case.

Edited by Function

What do you mean?

I mean this false dilemma you're arguing for, this "only way a society can be truly happy is if nothing goes or anything goes", it reduces complex systems down to meaninglessness, and insists there's only two options. It's a naive stance, and I hope you'll be able to understand this, and look for something with the kind of depth you're going to need now that you're asking more complex questions of yourself.

You can see there is a difference but want to know how? We're animals, animals eat food.

What do you mean by negative?

The examples you used for hurting people were all negative: hurting or offending someone for fun, doing it out of spite, or out of hate. There are no good moral choices there, whereas hunting to feed yourself isn't immoral.

No eating a salad is not murder, how do come by this.

You said anything goes, or nothing goes. If you can't hunt animals, should you be killing plants?

Killing something for fun is a sign of a sick mind!

Many people enjoy fishing I don't see anything wrong with that but they certainly don't have to fish to eat. Most of our problems with fish numbers didn't come for people who fish for sport it was big trawlers and oil spills killing thousands of fish.

Edited by fiveworlds

I think there is another way to look at this. I learned long ago not to fear a major surgery when I realized that I would go to sleep (loss of awareness), and if I died on the table I would not know it had happened. Let's apply the same logic here. If an animal is not capable of the human level of thought, and is not aware that it is about to be killed, and its existence is terminated in a way that the animal does have the opportunity to experience pain or loss, is there any moral reason not to use it for food?? I don't think so.

Many people enjoy fishing I don't see anything wrong with that but they certainly don't have to fish to eat. Most of our problems with fish numbers didn't come for people who fish for sport it was big trawlers and oil spills killing thousands of fish.

You can release a fish. Killing is not necessary

The only way a society can be truly happy is if nothing goes or if anything goes.

If someone asked me to come up with the two ways most likely to make society truly unhappy, I would have said to allow everything, or to allow nothing.

If someone asked me to come up with the two ways most likely to make society truly unhappy, I would have said to allow everything, or to allow nothing.

So well put.

To allow extremism like the OP, everyone has to think alike. Then they can choose either ultimate order or anarchic chaos to make themselves happy. Force everyone to be one way or the other, or else you're stuck with a very intricate, semi-predictable, deeply layered societal system that may not please everyone all the time, and spends resources trying to help diverse perspectives co-exist.

But doesn't the hook hurt the fish??

No.They don't have an evolved enough brain. They can experience stress but it's not the same. I've caught lots of fish where, when I let go to release them, they just sidle off leisurely like nothing happened. I saw a video once of a fish that got bitten in half, leaving the head half, and it was still swimming side-to-side, at a moderate pace, as though nothing had happened.

Edited by StringJunky

No.They don't have an evolved enough brain. They can experience stress but it's not the same. I've caught lots of fish where, when I let go to release them, they just sidle off leisurely like nothing happened. I saw a video once of a fish that got bitten in half, leaving the head half, and it was still swimming side-to-side, at a moderate pace, as though nothing had happened.

What if they just respond to pain differently from us?? I saw some articles online that some scientists believe they feel pain

What if they just respond to pain differently from us?? I saw some articles online that some scientists believe they feel pain

This is a report about a paper from a multidisciplinary team that investigated it:

Do fish feel pain? Not as humans do, study suggests

Date: August 8, 2013
Source: Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB)
Summary:
Fish do not feel pain the way humans do, according to a team of neurobiologists, behavioral ecologists and fishery scientists. The researchers conclude that fish do not have the neuro-physiological capacity for a conscious awareness of pain. Read more>>
Edited by StringJunky

Is it ok to kill musquitos? Is it ok to call pest control to kill rats or cockroaches? Is it ok to own a cat who hunts mice? Is it ok to accidentally kill a bug by stepping on it?

Where do you draw the line?

Everyone draws a line, even if you claim nor to.

Is it ok to kill musquitos? Is it ok to call pest control to kill rats or cockroaches? Is it ok to own a cat who hunts mice? Is it ok to accidentally kill a bug by stepping on it?

Where do you draw the line?

Everyone draws a line, even if you claim nor to.

Is it ok to kill bacteria?

It depends where you draw the line ;).

Of course, if the answer is no, you are in big trouble.

Why go so detailed. Does the OP, or anyone else, have problems with the ethical (sedated) end-of-life of mice and other rodents in experimental research settings?

If yes, then you do have a problem with almost everything of modern medicine and life sciences and, by extension, wealth and basically, your own life.

Don't make it too hard for yourself and just answer "no".

Ethical committees have been funded for these kinds of problems, and they act quite well.