Bears breakfast

post-79880-0-35240000-1490891230_thumb.jpg

Momma bear asked Goldilock to divide the whole round cake into 3 equal pieces. So The girl marked 3 equally distanced points around its perimeter in order to make

3 slices from the center (where the candle is) to the markers. But before she can do the first slice Poppa bear asked her to do it with just 2 slices if she can.

So Goldilock bent the knife into 120 degrees angle in order to make a 1/3 piece on first slice (with knife vertex on the center) and two more equal 1/3 pieces from the remaining part with the second slice.But before she can do the first slice Little bear asked her to do it already with only 1 slice. So how did Goldilock divide the cake into 3 equal pieces with a single slice? (see illustration)

Edited by TimeSpaceLightForce

So The girl marked 3 equally distanced points around its perimeter in order to make

3 slices from the center (where the candle is) to the markers.

This doesn't show up on the illustration, and doesn't necessarily mean she marked the cake itself, but does she have to follow these original marks?

So Goldilock bent the knife into 120 degrees angle in order to make a 1/3 piece on first slice (with knife vertex on the center) and two more equal 1/3 pieces from the remaining part with the second slice.

Do we assume the knife can't be unbent to make a the single slice at the end?

But before she can do the first slice Little bear asked her to do it already with only 1 slice.

(my emphasis) Does "already" imply something other than impatience? It seems an odd word choice, which is always a red flag in a brain teaser. As far as I can read, no cuts have already been made.

@Phi for All

-yes she can follow the marks..or make new ones needlessly.

-she can use the bent knife ..or straighten it again before or after the cut.

-yes,"already" means hurrying her by cutting once and the no cut have been made yet.

@NimrodTheGoat

-maybe that is why they are fat.

@DrKrettin

-the illustration was done with excel inserted ellipses and polygons. I can't do Goldilock's hair.

(see illustration for clues)

(see illustration for clues)

There are 3 beverages (looks like 2 coffees in coffee cups and a glass of milk or juice), but a fourth object (bottom right corner) that looks like a donut on an oval plate. Is there significance to this object? It seems out of place, but could belong to Goldilocks, I guess (although she isn't cutting herself a piece of cake, so I don't know why she'd have a beverage).

There are 3 beverages (looks like 2 coffees in coffee cups and a glass of milk or juice), but a fourth object (bottom right corner) that looks like a donut on an oval plate. Is there significance to this object? It seems out of place, but could belong to Goldilocks, I guess (although she isn't cutting herself a piece of cake, so I don't know why she'd have a beverage).

oh..actually the transparent bottle is not a donut.

oh..actually the transparent bottle is not a donut.

4 drinks, 3 pieces of cake. A red herring?

You imply, with the bending of the knife, that a "slice" is a single downward "chop" of the knife, even though there would be no movement of the knife in a "slicing" motion. It would be more like a pair of angled cleavers than a slicing knife.

You also imply that "slices" are straight cuts with no turning on the point. I could slice three equal pieces based on the marks at the edge without picking up the tip if I can change the direction of the slice outside the cake.

Also, the knife is single-edged and tapers at the point, so I don't think it would work to bend it and chop out a 1/3 wedge of cake. One bit of the perimeter wouldn't be cut completely through because of the taper.

@Phi for All

-No, 2 drinks,a whole round cake,clues. And the candle (maybe a red herring).

-yes, the slice is a single movement of blade (not the tapered edge) in one direction..horizontal,vertical or rotational.

Well, I see two cups of coffee, whatever is to the right of baby bear (is he still into porridge? I thought it was orange juice), and what you said was a transparent bottle (which I now know is empty since you don't count it as a drink).

I'm going to guess that this is a 3 layer cake. I would bend the knife in half completely back so the tip pointed back to me. Then I would make one slice from the side of the cake, splitting it into its equal layers in one slice.

@Phi for All

-little bear's drink ain't ready yet like the forks,knives and napkins.

-good guessing of cake . But no need to cut layered cake between layers since they were separated already.

-If the in between material is tough the length of the U shaped cutting knife you proposed shall be more than twice the diameter of the cake.

As Rotary Slicing is allowed another Possibility is to press the 120 Deg bent knife at the center and rotate to get three pieces with a single slicing action !

that can result to a conical cut and damage

If I spin the cake, I only need to cover the radius.

this works..(unless one of the bear notice that the middle layer has damage unlike the upper and lower layer)

but the cutting blade length is just twice the radius (as shown) so the spinning cut of 0 deg bent knife can only divide into 2 parts.

Since it's a breakfast cake, you can roll it up like a breakfast burrito in the tablecloth, then cut the rolled up tube in two places with one slice using the bent knife, making three pieces of equal amounts of cake.

Since it's a breakfast cake, you can roll it up like a breakfast burrito in the tablecloth, then cut the rolled up tube in two places with one slice using the bent knife, making three pieces of equal amounts of cake.

That's one way to do it..roll it ,slice once,3 pieces of same amount! But if the bears would only settle with 3 pieces of same size & shape (120 degrees slices) can she find a way?

The outcome of me googling the content of that "hint" is that I'm slightly hungry- but no closer to an answer.

Presumably this (badly drawn) idea is too easy

attachicon.gifCake.jpg

not certain if this is what you mean.

post-79880-0-11168500-1491722464_thumb.jpg

Wrap the blade by warping the cake so as 2 of the markers meet. Then warp again so that the 3rd maker meets with the other markers. Cut the 3 aligned radius from c to divide fairly.