Bodily Extracts

Hephaestus

This may sound weird, but some of us are interested in purifying our own elements. While trying to do the infamous P from urine extraction I got to wondering...

What compounds may be extracted from urine, bones etc and how?

Obvious ones are urea from urine and Ca salts from bones. I would like to set up a display of "Bodily extracts".

One bored chemyst

I think you should concentrate on less important body parts than bones, like hair and nail clippings. A great deal can be learned from a person's health and diet, as well as illegal recreation, from hair.

As you are interested in elements, you could start with an acid digestion [do you have a muffle furnace?].

Much better not to purify anything oneself if its available on the shelf.

Disply for bone will be some powdered hydroxyapatite and pure Ca. I can demonstrate its solution on chicken bone.

Urine will disply urea and uric acid. Uric acid describe as the white stuff in bird or old dog droppings.

Fat will have stearic acid.

Purified DNA for cell nucleus.

K, Na and their salts for ion transport across membranes.

Powdered keratin for nails and hair. etc.

Boiled piss before, dont want to do that one again.

Omega 3 oils for liver extract...

The hard part is where different metals are found in the body.

P from pee is quite easy once you know how. You need a distillation apparatus able to withstand stupidly high T. Clay is best. Above 800C the organic matter is converted to C which helps to reduce the posphates to phosphorous. During the heating process you get various distillates. Above about 600C you get a cloudy distillate coming off. This is the last one youlll see before pure white P boils over as a smoke which will condense as an oil. The receiver nees to exit into a receiver such that the end of the receiver is below the water line. White P will freeze out under the water.

Mendeleev give more detail as Ive only done it once without a decent procedure.

When you think about it, it's just a solution. I mustn't be a true blooded alchemist cause I'd never be able to deal with the other stuff.

And i think being able to obtain pure phosphorous from anything outweighs any issues I might have.

Mendeleev give more detail as Ive only done it once without a decent procedure.

Well, I will look for the experiment in my books. Your description is correct but not completeley alchemistic. I have tried it once, but my apparatus exploded, due to over pressure. So I am going to retry it, but more carefully and organised.

Yeah, the first time i did it in glass. Idiot. I then used an old earthenware jug with a convenient spout (not so convenient to find). It cracked just as the phosphorous was coming over, but held together long enough.

Big problem was disposal. The jug caught alight after I turned off the heat and opened it up to air.

Tried dousing with water - more fire. Tried throwing dirt on it - more fire. Phosphorous is very very flammable. I had smoudering in my backyard for a week. The grass has grown amazingly in that area.

VERY DANGEROUS

if you really want to do this, make sure your apparatus is absolutely perfect, as this is at least moderately dangerous

Yes, you wouldnt want any gaseous piss escaping.

lol i think i made some P once. Wen i was very little i peed on a fireplace that extruded from the wall, so wen there was a fire inside it heated up the top like alot, really hot. S i peed on it. It vaporized instantly and smelled REALLY bad. I mean it reeeked. It was so bad the whole house stunk for a day or 2. so ya, dont do that lol

Yes, indeed, the smell was really bad, but the idea of making P from urine and doing an experiment that alchemists did a long time ago, makes it good. But it's not easy to destille urine and you can better do it when your family is on holiday, becouse they don't support the smell :D