Flammable Chemisty

Raider5678

Hello!

I'm looking for different ways to make some safe but cool toys.

Mixing different chemicals came to mind and I decided I'd like to do that. Of course, I figured I should know what I'm doing first.

So starting out in chemisty, what are some basic chemicals that you need?

What chemicals should you never mix? (I.E Potassium Nitrate and Sugar)

What are some cool reactions and chemicals I can make?

And, by all means feel free to rant and rave about amateur chemists as long as I learn some stuff from it.

Edited by Raider5678

Hello!

I'm looking for different ways to make some safe but cool toys.

Mixing different chemicals came to mind and I decided I'd like to do that. Of course, I figured I should know what I'm doing first.

What chemicals should you never mix? (I.E Potassium Nitrate and Sugar)

What are some cool reactions and chemicals I can make?

And, by all means feel free to rant and rave about amateur chemists as long as I learn some stuff from it.

I originally was going to major in chemistry, since, when I was younger I was a lot like you and was fascinated with mixing chemicals and making stuff go boom! Or at least in creating some cool visuals, like the CD in the microwave. Granted....The latter is not chemistry per se, I admit.

That said, I think you'll like this site.

I have done three out of the ten experiments mentioned here............

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/11/04/top-10-mad-science-worthy-chemistry-experiments/

I would say sulfuric acid.

If you have sulfuric acid you can make other acids when needed,

like hydrochloric acid (from NaCl+H2SO4), nitric acid (from f.e. NaNO3+H2SO4).

And then further to their salts.

I would not say anything that will rapidly burn holes in people and would only help make other chemicals if you also has the appropriate equipment which a beginner will lack.

I probably don't have the appropriate equipment.

I am, however, trying to get:

A graduated cylinder

A electric scale that measures in grams

Some storage containers

Just to start out with.

I would not say anything that will rapidly burn holes in people and would only help make other chemicals if you also has the appropriate equipment which a beginner will lack.

Also, since you seem to know a lot about chemistry.

If we start a private messaging conversation and I come back to you proving my progress/equipment etc and asking you questions, would you help me out to get started?

sciencemadness.org is a good place for to ask questions regarding amateur chemistry.... although they get a little hung up on energetics for my liking, they make some pretty coloured stuff and nice crystals. They also have good ideas for problem solving and will probably be keen to help a beginner if you abide by the standard safety rules of being a chemist.

sciencemadness.org is a good place for to ask questions regarding amateur chemistry.... although they get a little hung up on energetics for my liking, they make some pretty coloured stuff and nice crystals. They also have good ideas for problem solving and will probably be keen to help a beginner if you abide by the standard safety rules of being a chemist.

Safety standards, don't do something unless you know what you're doing and have the equipment?

Also, since you seem to know a lot about chemistry.

If we start a private messaging conversation and I come back to you proving my progress/equipment etc and asking you questions, would you help me out to get started?

I'd sooner hold the conversation here.

It means that others might also benefit.

It means that, when I make a mistake, others can correct it.

You don't need to "prove" anything: legally- if you are dumb enough to lie- you take the consequences. :)

I'd sooner hold the conversation here.

It means that others might also benefit.

It means that, when I make a mistake, others can correct it.

You don't need to "prove" anything: legally- if you are dumb enough to lie- you take the consequences. :)

Fair enough.

I'll be getting the supplies when I can. Can't say when, considering I can't drive.

Safety standards, don't do something unless you know what you're doing and have the equipment?

This way science would never develop.

Person who discovered the largest quantity of elements, died because he liked to taste chemicals he managed to make..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Wilhelm_Scheele

" Scheele would smell and taste any new substances he discovered.[18] Cumulative exposure to arsenic, mercury, lead, their compounds, and perhaps hydrofluoric acid which he had discovered, and other substances took their toll on Scheele, who died at the early age of 43, on 21 May 1786, at his home in Köping. Doctors said that he died of mercury poisoning."

This way science would never develop.

Person who discovered the largest quantity of elements, died because he liked to taste chemicals he managed to make..

Being fair Sensei, it is probably better to start off with some well know reactions and do stuff that is safe and planned and know than to do random stuff, as you pointed out, that is how people get killed or harmed. I have done things I shouldn't have as tests and experiments with unknown out comes. I have worked with chemicals though and know something about what precautions to take. Maybe I am over precautious, but that/s better than having an accident or getting unknowns on or in you imo.

Being fair Sensei, it is probably better to start off with some well know reactions and do stuff that is safe and planned and know than to do random stuff, as you pointed out, that is how people get killed or harmed. I have done things I shouldn't have as tests and experiments with unknown out comes. I have worked with chemicals though and know something about what precautions to take. Maybe I am over precautious, but that/s better than having an accident or getting unknowns on or in you imo.

Obviously you're right.

When there is literature about reaction, somebody can check whether it's safe or not, and what to expect (heat, explosion). Whether products or byproducts are harmful or not.

But we're talking here about unknown reactions, from unknown chemicals.

See how many dangerous, but not instant dangerous, substances were made in the past, and then introduced to business, and sold to people,

and then many, many years later, more modern scientists discovered these substances were carcinogenic, or other way harmful to people or environment (to name a few Asbestos, some Haloalkanes).

Even if precautions are made, if something is harmful, you can find it after years, many years of usage, when it's way too late..

Edited by Sensei

Obviously you're right.

But we're talking here about unknown reactions, from unknown chemicals.

You might be, but the rest of us are posting in a thread about suitable chemistry for a beginner.

Incidentally, the Romans knew that asbestos was bad for people.

We relatively recently discovered that sulphuric acid - which you suggested earlier- is a carcinogen.