Prophesies of Daniel

Sydney

I was just wondering how to scientifically explain the prophesies in Daniel. They describe in detail the rise and fall of Babylon, Meado Persia, Greece (Alexander the Great), and Rome. Right now I'm talking about the old prophesies not the ones that haven't happened yet. We know this was written before the events happened because of old texts that state Alexander the Great visited Jerusalem. Thease texts (which are agreed upon to be cretable) state that he read the prophesies (which had to have been written before he got there) and thought he was the one fulfilling them. (Which he was.) Here is one of the prophesies for people who haven't heard them. (Not word for word.)

Daniel said he saw a humongous statue with a head of Gold, chest and arms of silver, legs of bronze, and feet of iron mixed with clay. Interpretation: The head of Gold is Babylon, wealthy but not very strong. The chest and arms are Meado-Persia, which split into two parts (Two arms) but are less valuable (but more strong) than Babylon. The Legs is Greece, stronger than Meado-Persia but less wealthy. And last is Rome, the strongest but the least wealthy (but the most grusem...). Is was partially strong and partially weak. (Iron and clay) It also (eventually) split into ten parts (ten toes). Hope this proves interesting. If you want to read more this can be found on any free bible app. (Daniel 2)

They describe in detail the rise and fall of Babylon, Meado Persia, Greece (Alexander the Great), and Rome.

Do they? Or are those interpretations read into them afterwards?

Daniel said he saw a humongous statue with a head of Gold, chest and arms of silver, legs of bronze, and feet of iron mixed with clay. Interpretation: The head of Gold is Babylon, wealthy but not very strong. The chest and arms are Meado-Persia, which split into two parts (Two arms) but are less valuable (but more strong) than Babylon. The Legs is Greece, stronger than Meado-Persia but less wealthy. And last is Rome, the strongest but the least wealthy (but the most grusem...). Is was partially strong and partially weak. (Iron and clay) It also (eventually) split into ten parts (ten toes).

So, as I thought, it is just an arbitrary interpretation of a fairly meaningless image.

Why is the head of gold Babylon and not some other large country, person, building or, even, just a head of gold.

Why are the two arms Meado-Persia rather than one of the many other countries that have split in tow (maybe it is Czechoslovakia).

Why are the legs Greece and not Rome or the European Union.

And why Rome? It didn't split into ten parts. The only sources that say this are religious ones, which base it on this prophecy! Which is the ultimate example of Begging the Question!

Hope this proves interesting.

Nope. It was drivel.

Edited by Strange

Actually Rome did eventually divided into 10 kingdoms. And the for countries listed not only rose and fell in that successive order, they were the most important empires of history at that time. Also it would be fitting that Rome was the last, since that is when Jesus was born. It wasn't until late that it divided. I don't mean that offensively, I just like to discuss things.

Edited by Sydney

There is a prophecy in the earlier books of Harry Potter, and later, in a book that wasn't even written at the time of the prophecy, it all came true!

There are many fictional stories with prophecies, some even referring to historic events that actually happened, the Bible is just one of many.

Edited by Bender

I was just wondering how to scientifically explain the prophesies in Daniel. They describe in detail the rise and fall of Babylon, Meado Persia, Greece (Alexander the Great), and Rome. Right now I'm talking about the old prophesies not the ones that haven't happened yet. We know this was written before the events happened because of old texts that state Alexander the Great visited Jerusalem. Thease texts (which are agreed upon to be cretable) state that he read the prophesies (which had to have been written before he got there) and thought he was the one fulfilling them. (Which he was.) Here is one of the prophesies for people who haven't heard them. (Not word for word.)

Daniel said he saw a humongous statue with a head of Gold, chest and arms of silver, legs of bronze, and feet of iron mixed with clay. Interpretation: The head of Gold is Babylon, wealthy but not very strong. The chest and arms are Meado-Persia, which split into two parts (Two arms) but are less valuable (but more strong) than Babylon. The Legs is Greece, stronger than Meado-Persia but less wealthy. And last is Rome, the strongest but the least wealthy (but the most grusem...). Is was partially strong and partially weak. (Iron and clay) It also (eventually) split into ten parts (ten toes). Hope this proves interesting. If you want to read more this can be found on any free bible app. (Daniel 2)

I would suggest you look at the so called prophecies with a little more skepticism. A great many Prophecies never came true, if I were to sit down and write out a large number of things I think might come true in the next ten years i would almost certainly be correct about a few of them just by chance...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_prophecies