Precognition and Eternalism

Salubrius

I agree, no solid evidence in empirical science has proven precognition; however, I can't say that I agree with your evolution argument. The survival of our species has and continues to be dependent on our preparedness for future events. Albeit based on observations and experience, our mental ability to predict future needs and forecast future events (e.g., weather forecasting) is indeed evidence that evolution has been selecting for such a leap in our perceptual assessments. Essentially, precognition is merely the bastard child of forecasting--such as the weather--that has yet to credibly mature.

But of course I was talking about Dave Moore's type of precognition, where it's some extraordinary ability to see into the actual future, not just a prediction using reasoned methodology and/or a special knowledge of a person or situation. If abilities like that were starting to manifest, it would show up as persistent and measurable, two things we need to build up evidence through experimentation.

But of course I was talking about Dave Moore's type of precognition, where it's some extraordinary ability to see into the actual future, not just a prediction using reasoned methodology and/or a special knowledge of a person or situation. If abilities like that were starting to manifest, it would show up as persistent and measurable, two things we need to build up evidence through experimentation.

I understood and I understand your perception that evolution hasn't selected for that ability; however, it's my belief that evolution has been and is selecting for precisely that ability through our mundane mental efforts towards readiness for future eventualities. I believe these effort are having an extraordinary affect on our perceptual abilities and brain development.

I had a dream the other night where I looked at a news paper and kinda thought Theresa May was hot... Then someone told me that they have taken the best bits of all of her photo's and mashed them together so she looks her best in the papers. "They do the same with Donald Trump" the person said.

The VERY next day there was a picture of Theresa May in the paper, smiling.... and I must say she did not look too bad at all! I had a moment of confusion then where my dream and reality were intertwined for a moment and I thought, for a split second, that the photo had been tampered with. lol

Let's say the probability that Dave's experience was coincidence is only one in a billion.

In that case seven persons will have such an experience every single day.

In fact, if there is a day when nobody has such an experience, that would be really spooky.

In reality, however, I think the probability is considerably larger, so thousands of persons have them every single day.

Is it spooky when you happen to be one of them: sure. Is it spooky if it happens repeatedly to the same person: of course. Is it remarkeable: not at all. It is expected.

I understood and I understand your perception that evolution hasn't selected for that ability; however, it's my belief that evolution has been and is selecting for precisely that ability through our mundane mental efforts towards readiness for future eventualities. I believe these effort are having an extraordinary affect on our perceptual abilities and brain development.

Do you think it's in any way like the glimpse-of-the-future, OMG-I'm-clairvoyant precognition that so far has no scientific basis or support?

Airplane's going down, Cruise ships sinking, Nuclear reactors malfunctions, Train crashes, space shuttle explosions, and etc are all popular imagery on TV and film. 6 months before 9/11 the show X-Files had an episode about the world trade center being struck by a commercial jet. Seems like too great a coincidence but considering how many shows and movies depict catastrophic events it really isn't. Just like dreaming of a catastrophic event isn't uncommon.

I agree with all comments that speak of human nature and people exaggerating and misremembering.

I know that accounts for the vast majority of supposed precognitive dreams.

I, however have had truly precognitive dreams--- three earthquakes. one nuclear poser plant leak.

They stand as extremely good examples of what ought to be accepted as anomalous dreams.

Particularly, as I sai, because I have always mentioned them to another person as unusually strong dreams, and I have not ever done this and nothing happened. They are qualitatively different in nature. The two strongest, the Algiers earthquake and the nuke leak, were unique in character.

Since I myself am sure of this, but can't prove it, I would ask, what reason would anyone even comment on a precognition thread. No conclusive proof exists for it. Go ahead and talk about how you see no evidence for it.

I KNOW. And if you don't believe me, that's fine. But I am presenting good examples of what would constitute precognitive dreams. I keep getting responses like, "Most precognitive dreams this or that..."

I agree. Now what? I'm lying? Then why respond? These are significant examples.

Unless I'm lying. I am not, but you have to assume some things on a forum. Otherwise, what use is it to comment at all?

But I seem to get a lot of people who can't accept the possibility that precognition exists, citing a million examples of false positives. I KNOW. I AGREE. Now what?

Edited by Dave Moore

I agree with all comments that speak of human nature and people exaggerating and misremembering.

I know that accounts for the vast majority of supposed precognitive dreams.

I, however have had truly precognitive dreams--- three earthquakes. one nuclear poser plant leak.

They stand as extremely good examples of what ought to be accepted as anomalous dreams.

Particularly, as I sai, because I have always mentioned them to another person as unusually strong dreams, and I have not ever done this and nothing happened. They are qualitatively different in nature. The two strongest, the Algiers earthquake and the nuke leak, were unique in character.

Since I myself am sure of this, but can't prove it, I would ask, what reason would anyone even comment on a precognition thread. No conclusive proof exists for it. Go ahead and talk about how you see no evidence for it.

I KNOW. And if you don't believe me, that's fine. But I am presenting good examples of what would constitute precognitive dreams. I keep getting responses like, "Most precognitive dreams this or that..."

I agree. Now what? I'm lying? Then why respond? These are significant examples.

Unless I'm lying. I am not, but you have to assume some things on a forum. Otherwise, what use is it to comment at all?

But I seem to get a lot of people who can't accept the possibility that precognition exists, citing a million examples of false positives. I KNOW. I AGREE. Now what?

Go to the dreams thread I started (linked in post #49)or start one of your own and record your dreams. Then if and when one of them comes true is a demonstrable way as recorded you'll have the beginnings of the type of evidence many of us say you are lacking. If it isn't worth your time to prove it certianly isn't worth my time to just take your word for it.

Edited by Ten oz

These are significant examples.

Are they? "significant" has a very well defined meaning in science. What is the p-value you used? I know you should define it before the experiment, but in this case, I'll cut you some slack. What is your estimated probability of your experience being the result of coincidence? A thousand to one? A million to one?

Bender, Ten oz., I have no idea what the odds are and you know what I mean. Further, my own work in examining subjective reality and what that reveals tells me that it is enough circumstantial evidence to trump objective reality as the truth.

I am comparing the two realities. I have favored subjective reality due to my experience.

You are both convinced that objective proof is the only way to prove subjective reality, and you are dead wrong about that. I should say, for obvious reasons, but I don't think you will see that.

The circumstamtial evidence has led me to a means to use objective evidence, but as said many times, I haven't yet been able to tell my tale, so to speak, due to a lack of interest by anyone here.

So be it. I don't care that much. I know what I know.

Bender, Ten oz., I have no idea what the odds are and you know what I mean. Further, my own work in examining subjective reality and what that reveals tells me that it is enough circumstantial evidence to trump objective reality as the truth.

I am comparing the two realities. I have favored subjective reality due to my experience.

You are both convinced that objective proof is the only way to prove subjective reality, and you are dead wrong about that. I should say, for obvious reasons, but I don't think you will see that.

The circumstamtial evidence has led me to a means to use objective evidence, but as said many times, I haven't yet been able to tell my tale, so to speak, due to a lack of interest by anyone here.

Then you don't belong on a science discussion forum. What you're doing will never be science, ever.

Why do you need it to be?

So.....the burden of recording your dreams is too great?

Do you think it's in any way like the glimpse-of-the-future, OMG-I'm-clairvoyant precognition that so far has no scientific basis or support?

No, I don't think it's anything of that sort presently...but there is a case I've been following suggesting that potential to a lesser degree. There is individual, who prefer to remain private for good reason, who has routinely discussed his dream experiences with me. When he believes he has had a precognitive dream, he shares that dream with me prior to the event. He's an avid Sudoku player and enjoys playing the lottery. He only plays one type of lottery regularly to the exclusion, or so he says, of all others. Recently, he described a dream wherein he remembered seeing a odd subway exit sign that read "99999". He told me that he understood those number to represent the primary payoff number in the singular lottery game he was about to play that evening. He played five separate cards with 9 as the primary number and, as we watched that evening lottery drawing, that number was indeed drawn and all five cards were winners. To be fair, the odds of selecting the winning payoff number is 1 in 15 and he has had dreams with numeric content that did not yield the same results. In fact, his win record is markedly less than chance but I find his occasional win, based on dream content, intriguing. It's intriguing because he averages about one win per month (out of 8 drawings per month) based on his dreams and most frequently within the last two weeks of the month. Although his dreams are clearly not that OMG-precognitive type in my opinion, the ones he has shared prior to his winning experiences do appear to be related to his mindset amid those experiences.

Edited by DrmDoc

The reasoning behind my posting under the philosophy category rather than as a physics theory was to gain philosophical viewpoints on the theory of a person activity making a decision in the future which may seem negative to their current situation. My two small examples were meant to explain how I have came to such a theory, and thus the philosophical question.

From my personal studies I have found that it is indeed impossible to thoroughly prove such things to the level necessary for scientific validation. The reason for this may be that the burden of proof has a similar effect on results as the aforementioned personal gain effect.

Therefore, rather than producing a catalogue of a lifetime of such experiences, which would be necessary if I were promoting my theory as a fully formed theoretical post. I am much more interested in the plausibility of the psychological reasoning behind the individual choosing at a future point in time, not to use the ability for certain things. Personal gain and/or scientific testing of the ability, etc.

And yes, as I said, the reason I came to this theory was because I could not accept an external influence, due to the reason "how would the universe know". Hence the philosophical question regarding personal future decisions, which may influence the present.

But your question as well as your claims are not philosophical ones. They belong squarely in the realm of paranormal and psuedo science. You'd do far better with them in another forum that specializes in those things. I even think there's a paranormal.com open forum. Hell, those guys over there won't even doubt your claims. And they'll give you the attention you want. This is simply just about the worst place for anybody to come with claims of precognition or ESP. You don't have to move the goalposts and defend your claims there as you attempted to do above.

Trust me, mate, this is a tough audience.

Hope this helps.

Ten oz: The burden is too great. I am nearly blind now. I have to use bold typw just to see the monitor, which is a 50 inch screen.

I know exactly why I can't get anyone to listen and it has nothing to do with me.

It has to do with the (completely normal) entrenchment of those who would not allow me to explain my knowledge of belief as relates to subjective reality. That would take more effort than anyone here would put out----- not to say that as a judgement.

When dealing with belief, one is always limited by the experiences of the one he is trying to convince.

It is completely normal.

I've said a few times, I would work very hard to explain my knowledge to anyone, nut this hasn't happened yet.

It's useless to talk about something that doesn't exist in most people's realities. Innate knowledge arises out of an awakening experience. Such an experience is very rare. Before I had this experience many years ago, I was as hard-boiled an objective science type guy as could be found.

What was so strange was the way my mind changed at the time. It was a really new and wonderful experience. I can't describe it in words, but I can say, it was nothing like I had ever experienced before.

You can look up "Kundalini Awakening" and get an idea, but unless it happens to you, it's useless to explain.

I can say this: Those who have it understand what I write about without hesitation.

They fully embrace the concept of subjective reality without equivocation. It's very odd. If you read about it, it just sounds nutty. It's not religious, although many people who experience it are Buddhists.

There is this other way of seeing things and it isn't about not being discriminating. I am still very discriminating but I am able to imagine much more than I ever could before the awakening.

And I only found out this experience even had a name within the last couple of months.

I have been writing on this forum knowing well nobody here would get it. I did it for practice writing for a book.

Now it's getting harder to write. I will have to switch to a recording device. Even the bold text is hard to make out.

Edited by Dave Moore

Ten oz: The burden is too great. I am nearly blind now. I have to use bold typw just to see the monitor, which is a 50 inch screen.

I know exactly why I can't get anyone to listen and it has nothing to do with me.

It has to do with the (completely normal) entrenchment of those who would not allow me to explain my knowledge of belief as relates to subjective reality. That would take more effort than anyone here would put out----- not to say that as a judgement.

When dealing with belief, one is always limited by the experiences of the one he is trying to convince.

It is completely normal.

I've said a few times, I would work very hard to explain my knowledge to anyone, nut this hasn't happened yet.

It's useless to talk about something that doesn't exist in most people's realities. Innate knowledge arises out of an awakening experience. Such an experience is very rare. Before I had this experience many years ago, I was as hard-boiled an objective science type guy as could be found.

What was so strange was the way my mind changed at the time. It was a really new and wonderful experience. I can't describe it in words, but I can say, it was nothing like I had ever experienced before.

You can look up "Kundalini Awakening" and get an idea, but unless it happens to you, it's useless to explain.

I can say this: Those who have it understand what I write about without hesitation.

They fully embrace the concept of subjective reality without equivocation. It's very odd. If you read about it, it just sounds nutty. It's not religious, although many people who experience it are Buddhists.

There is this other way of seeing things and it isn't about not being discriminating. I am still very discriminating but I am able to imagine much more than I ever could before the awakening.

And I only found out this experience even had a name within the last couple of months.

I have been writing on this forum knowing well nobody here would get it. I did it for practice writing for a book.

Now it's getting harder to write. I will have to switch to a recording device. Even the bold text is hard to make out.

Show and not tell is the way one proves an experiment. If you recorded a dream that contained an accurate prediction it would be tough for all us "entrenchment" types to dismiss it. There definitely a place for mental experiments and reasoning things out within ones own mind however you are stating as a matter of fact that this is real and happening to you. You aren't merely taking a philosophical approach. If this happens to you ihan it should be provable.

I have recorded many of my dreams. I have done so for years. I have experienced what you are describing. I am not merely dismissing dreams as meaningless nonsense. I even started a thread about dreams. Because I record many of my dreams I am able to look back at what they were and what I have found over and over again is that the dreams which I feel predicted something or show me something about the furture didn't. I have found over and over that the feelings and thoughts I was attributing to specific dreams weren't in line with what I recorded. Memories are imperfect.

My wife and I were in Irvine California driving to meet some friends for lunch back in 2009 when a can changed lanes and bumped us. No one was hurt. Just a little paint was exchanged. The driver of the car was very apologetic. Years later, perhaps 2011, I mentioned the incident to my wife. In mentioning it I said the car was tan. My wife said the car had been black. I argued that the car was 100% tan. I could clearly recall it. I could recall the street we were on, the driver of the car, the color, and etc. I had no doubt, NONE, the car was tan. So my wife pulled out her phone and scrolled through her pictures and guess what, the car was black. Why I so clearly remember tan I have no idea but the car was black and my memory was wrong. Not was wrong, is wrong, to this day when I remember the incident I still see a tan car.

Have you ever asked yourself what the "world" would be like if you knew you were personally projecting it?

I find that most people have no capacity for this particular kind of imagination.

As soon as they are asked to do so, they immediately show me that they are failing. It took me years to do it well.

One 'forgets" that the world would not be physically contiguous. Any objective test would be useless in describing what was really going on. Only the individual's subjective experience would be applicable.

Belief is very important. In a subjective reality, belief is projected and it always manifests the closest perceptions to the subject's existing paradigm.

I listened to an audiobook last night. Castaneda's Separate Reality. I think. I had read these books in my late teens and early adulthood, and later, during the nineties.

It was only after an experience in 2004, which I call my "awakening", and during the following years. that I realized that those books were far from fiction.

Before, I had no reference to qualify Don Juan's knowledge but it became obvious that Castaneda's teacher was a real shaman who possessed real knowledge.

I realized that all of those who doubted Castaneda's writings were true were absolutely unqualified to know the difference.

Don Juan never used the term, "subjective reality". Instead, he said that each of us has our own reality, that there was no common world, and that dreams were as real as waking life.

He taught Castaneda to see another description and also to know that no description was the right one. All descriptions were arbitrary.

Belief is a strange thing. It is no more than a description imposed on each of us. Within the realm of our imposed beliefs, we are trapped. We can't any longer see outside of our boxes. Only intense retraining can provide an escape from out world view that only objective conformity of beliefs is a true description of reality.

This training that loosens the bonds of materialism (mine was self-imposed) always seems to culminate in a mental shift that has various names throughout the world.

But in essence, whether Buddhism, Indian Shamanism, or Australian Aborigine Dreamtime, among many others, the mental shift is noted as a very defined experience that reveals a new subjective reality. This happens in an instant, I can tell you. Afterwards, it is no longer difficult to imagine what would be true if subjective reality were true.

Your difficulty in understanding these things is natural. As children, we are forced to see our invisible playmates as a feature of imagination. Abused children often retain subjective paradigms into adulthood due to the lack of appeal of the supplied objective "training". They end up many times in mental hospitals. Their personal realities are called into question. Our benevolent mental health system then labels them as mentally ill.

It is no wonder everyone I've met here "knows" I am wrong. None can imagine how I see reality, and like the mental health system, they do the only thing they know to do. They dismiss everything I say as a lot of hokum.

I wouldn't expect any other response.

You all have to dismiss the established knowledge of thousands of years of study of the human mind by intelligent and insightful cultures.

The Aborigines in particular have survived for 50,000 years of more without any change in their culture.

Only recently has their culture been dismembered by modern man encroaching in their lands and treating them in the same way our ancestors did the American Indian.

My point is that such cultures as the Tribal Indians of Mexico and Australia and Northern India have spent eons working out very specific guidelines for understanding reality. These teachings are not religious in nature. They are gateways to a more meaningful reality that is far more sensible than Western man's scientific method.

Science is useful in doing one thing well. It stabilizes belief through language and mathematics and by collective agreement, it becomes a powerful tool that can accomplish a lot of control over technology.

The flip side is that it also limits the human mind. It hypnotizes us to believe no other knowledge can exist. It promote arrogance concerning what is real and what isn't. I

It strangles off any competing paradigms, calling them superstitious or quacks, or whatever derogatory term would by attachment imply uselessness and childish thinking.

Until you begin to look within rather than outward, no true understanding will arrive.

Edited by Dave Moore

Let's hope it's not as bad as the Carlos Castaneda books. I laboriously ploughed my way about halfway through one once. I think I used some of it for lighting fires in the end.

So, in its own way, it was illuminating.

The value of those books would not be available to most people. You might as well burn them.

I still "read" the books (audiobooks). They have value to me and people like me.

I never understood them the first time I read them. It all seemed like a lot of nonsense. I could never have known whether they represented a real knowledge or a clever ruse.

They are far from a ruse. It was so cool to go back and read them and discover they made complete sense.

It's funny. For 99% of the readers, they are just colorful and fanciful fiction. Only a very few see through that.

As Don Juan was known to have said, the world is a far more mysterious place than you think.

I never would have imagined how true that would turn out to be.

The hypnosis of everyday reality is a truly effective trap. There is so much more.

I used to be enthralled by mystery of the paranormal and claims of UFOs or Chupacabras, or any number of strange things. Then one day thirteen years ago, I lost all interest in those things. Once I knew those things were no different from a trip to the Dairy Queen, I lost all interest, Now, just pondering the miracle of the taste of good food, or the scent of Summer in the morning through an open window, I can't understand any more what it was I had spent so many years seeking.

I read the link supplied. That isn't how I get information. It is possible to find truth in the words of a fool. It doesn't matter whether that article was "true". Fiction is as useful as documented "truth".

The knowledge was real. It is obvious to one who knows.

If you know subjective reality, you realize that the human subconscious is not inside your skull, but is constantly displayed in the features of what appears to be an objective world (and the memories thereof).

This causes coincidences and supposed paranormal occurrences. One begins to see and experience these things as a matter of course.

Believe it, or not.

And incidentally, if you find yourself mocking me or talking down to me, such as comparing me to Castaneda in terms of what I might write,I am okay with that. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with your inability to come to terms with something that you can't understand.

This is typically what I've experienced here.

I have no doubt it will continue as long as it provides you with some entertainment.

I'm done pretending reactions I am not really experiencing. let us see how so many of you deal with the fact that your posts seem childish.

I have produced some active threads. Nothing has been learned by the readers, but they keep coming. Perhaps they themselves might wonder why.

We all perceive threats at different levels. A threat of an opposing belief system often creates an attitude of discrimination in the larger group. No true intellectual work is produced, while one liners, jokes, and other reactions abound.

I could and would spend many hours explaining my knowledge to anyone. However, the chance anyone here would show the least curiosity or involvement is near nil.

I wonder what so many of you are doing here. None so far have followed up on the beginnings of my explanations. Everyone so far wants it all handed to them in a nutshell. a five minute description of reality and consciousness.

This thread is about the nature of reality if it is about precognition. To most here, it is a quick trip to google and a link dropped and a one liner response.

If you all disbelieve in precognition, that it's been "proven" to be non-existent, and you won't even listen to an explanation

you're purpose here must be something else.

It's fun to mock, to discount, to belittle. I think adults do this more than children. It's okay with me, albeit boring.

Ask yourself, though, why do you do it?

Edited by Dave Moore

The value of those books would not be available to most people. You might as well burn them.

I still "read" the books (audiobooks). They have value to me and people like me.

I never understood them the first time I read them. It all seemed like a lot of nonsense. I could never have known whether they represented a real knowledge or a clever ruse.

They are far from a ruse. It was so cool to go back and read them and discover they made complete sense.

It's funny. For 99% of the readers, they are just colorful and fanciful fiction. Only a very few see through that.

As Don Juan was known to have said, the world is a far more mysterious place than you think.

The hypnosis of everyday reality is a truly effective trap. There is so much more.

I used to be enthralled by mystery of the paranormal and claims of UFOs or Chupacabras, or any number of strange things. Then one day thirteen years ago, I lost all interest in those things. Once I knew those things were no different from a trip to the Dairy Queen, I lost all interest, Now, just pondering the miracle of the taste of good food, or the scent of Summer in the morning through an open window, I can't understand any more what it was I had spent so many years seeking.

I read the link supplied. That isn't how I get information. It is possible to find truth in the words of a fool. It doesn't matter whether that article was "true". Fiction is as useful as documented "truth".

If you know subjective reality, you realize that the human subconscious is not inside your skull, but is constantly displayed in the features of what appears to be an objective world (and the memories thereof).

This causes coincidences and supposed paranormal occurrences. One begins to see and experience these things as a matter of course.

Believe it, or not.

And incidentally, if you find yourself mocking me or talking down to me, such as comparing me to Castaneda in terms of what I might write,I am okay with that. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with your inability to come to terms with something that you can't understand.

I have no doubt it will continue as long as it provides you with some entertainment.

I'm done pretending reactions I am not really experiencing. let us see how so many of you deal with the fact that your posts seem childish.

I have produced some active threads. Nothing has been learned by the readers, but they keep coming. Perhaps they themselves might wonder why.

We all perceive threats at different levels. A threat of an opposing belief system often creates an attitude of discrimination in the larger group. No true intellectual work is produced, while one liners, jokes, and other reactions abound.

I could and would spend many hours explaining my knowledge to anyone. However, the chance anyone here would show the least curiosity or involvement is near nil.

I wonder what so many of you are doing here. None so far have followed up on the beginnings of my explanations. Everyone so far wants it all handed to them in a nutshell. a five minute description of reality and consciousness.

This thread is about the nature of reality if it is about precognition. To most here, it is a quick trip to google and a link dropped and a one liner response.

If you all disbelieve in precognition, that it's been "proven" to be non-existent, and you won't even listen to an explanation

It's fun to mock, to discount, to belittle. I think adults do this more than children. It's okay with me, albeit boring.

Science and understanding nature is hard enough without making it up. People here primarily want to teach science or pass on what they have learned, as it is known, not listen to peoples made-up stories. This site is about sharing information about conventional science knowledge,as its core purpose. There are plenty of sites that will accommodate your interest. You wouldn't talk about cooking techniques on a site about modding cars, would you? You would get the same sort of response as talking fiction on a science site, which is basically what ideas llike yours are because they are not supported by evidence or even any attempt to build on current scientific thinking. We see it every single day and it gets boring when it's clear the OP's mind is closed to the prevailing evidence; cue irritation.

It's ok to be wrong, we are all wrong at times, and it's an essential part of learning but not being prepared to change, and not showing any sign of it, is not worth anyones time in a forum of this type.

Believe it, or not.

It's ok to be wrong, we are all wrong at times, and it's an essential part of learning but not being prepared to change, and not showing any sign of it, is not worth anyones time in a forum of this type.

Being wrong is exceedingly easy to be and hard to admit. Nevertheless, accepting and admitting that one is wrong is perhaps, IMO, the clearest measure of character and intelligence.