Psychopathy, Empathy and Epigenetics.

JohnSSM

After reading a good amount of material about psychopathy, empathy and epigenetics, I have a bunch of information that I'm not sure is correlated or not.

As I understand, from studies with mice, baby mice who were licked more by their mothers were noted to become more social and more active. Mice who were taken away from any mother mouse, began to exhibit behaviors of anxiety, depression and ASPD. As I remember, but cant confirm through my internet searches anymore, they tested the genes of the mice and found that one gene was epigenetically affected to change its phenotype, helping to inspire this ASPD type behavior. I cant find the reference to the actual epigenetic changes anymore. IF you have info about the epigenetic changes being affected in this study, references would be great. I can still find the study about the mice behaviors but not the info im looking for about epigenetics being involved.

Im looking to answer this series of questions.

Is there any proof of epigenetic changes, influenced by the environment, that occur to affect one's empathy in humans? I havent found any theories..

But, if we believe that psychopathic traits are hereditary in genes, and we believe that epigenetics can change the gene expression, would this explain the results of the Twins experiments dealing with psychopathic traits to any degree? In this perspective, one must be born with the gene or genes that affects empathy (for instance), but not every gene of this type will create conditions that limit empathetic reactions, until they are triggered by elements in the environment as epigenetics suggests.

Thoughts? Directions?

Unfortunately I cannot provide any of the references you are hoping for. I just thought your speculation is a very interesting one and certainly seems plausible. I shall watch this thread with interest to see if anyone has material that would either support or refute it. Epigenetics is a fascinating field, but we probably need to be cautious that we don't overrate its power. (Hence your search for relevant research.)

Thanks for the link. I took a deeper look with some of those leads and found this.

http://sites.bu.edu/ombs/2010/11/11/licking-rat-pups-the-genetics-of-nurture/
"These findings translate previous results from rat to humans and suggest a common effect of parental care on the epigenetic regulation of hippocampal glucocorticoid receptor expression."

The hippocampus is a key part of the limbic system where our emotions and empathetic responses create lots of brain activity.

My theory suggests that some children, due to bad emotional experiences, can consciously start ignoring their empathetic systems and responses, leading to a lack of empathy for others, and can lead to sociopathy and ASPD. It also suggests that this "strategy" for dealing with bad experiences has existed long enough to be worked into the human gene. Some folks have the gene and some dont. Being born with this gene doesnt guarantee a psychopath, but in this case, the brain triggers an epigenetic change in the brain of psychopaths when they experience many, or long term emotional traumas as kids.

Its the same solution to the same issue, but one is done consciously, by some, in a defense against negative emotional content, and the other is a gene responding to negative emotional content. In either case, the person loses contact with empathy due to painful experiences.

Given my limited insight here and a review of your reference, you may have a plausible theory; however, you will require further support than this single reference. Indeed, it may be that we all possess this genetic potential or variation as a consequence of our primitive heritage and it's expression a matter of environmental influences. Good luck with your investigation.