Gluing Rubber to Glass for a strong flexible bond

Jmanm

I'm about to glue my Ram X grip phone mount to my windscreen because it doesn't stick properly & have tried everything including a replacement suction cup, none works well. The whole mount just slides down the windscreen within an hour. I had in mind using something like 3M moisture curing urethane adhesive as that is what they use for gluing in windscreens to cars. It sounds like it will stick very well to the glass. I only have one shot at this so wanted to ask:

For adhesion of rubber to the urethane glue should the rubber suction cup be roughed up with coarse sand paper or not?

Could you think of a better adhesive or something in between the rubber & urethane?

Would hot summer heat pose a problem with the rubber to urethane bond?

I'm assuming the cup is simply rubber based on amazon reviewers calling it rubber, but there doesn't seem to be any info on what it really is.

If you could help, thanks

Edited by Jmanm

I don't know where you are but this seems to meet your spec. Note the exceptions though lower down. If you know it's urethane though it won't work

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cntct_vnylpl/overview/Loctite-Vinyl-Fabric-&-Plastic-Flexible-Adhesive.htm

Perhaps looking into strong, double-sided adhesive pads/tape may be better.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/tapes-adhesives/-/tapes/double-sided-tape/

If the right one is not wide enough, place pieces side-by-side on grip then cut flush with a sharp knife, peel the other side and stick it on the screen. Make sure the adhering surfaces are spotless.

Edited by StringJunky

I think so too. I've used some very strong pads but can't remember the name or source. I would think my link to 3M has something.

The one I use is old and brandless and it works great. I have things taped with it for 5+ years and they still hold. Im sure 3M would be even better.

Thanks guys. I don't think I will need to glue this now (fingers crossed). I found a way to help it stick by burning the rubber suction cup surface slightly with a lighter. After that the surface is high friction preventing it from slowly sliding down the windscreen. We just had 4 seasons in a week, hot & dry, wet & humid & cold etc. The mount seems to stick. However you can still pull it off the glass with enough pulling force by hand.