Injections without needles?

DrmDoc

We've entered the age of the hypo-spray, which is one of several devices predicted by the writers of the StarTrek series. According to this BBC report, a medical device company (Portal Instruments) will be marketing a device that delivers subcutaneous injectables without puncturing the skin. Available in 2018, the device injects a stream of inoculants in the form of steam about half the width of a human hair. Enjoy!

Needle free injections have been round since I was at school; why is this "news"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector

Indeed, as I am now informed by your reference, jet-injectors have been around since the 1980's. Apparently, the only the distinction between the injectors described in your reference and those in the BBC report is that this new injector uses computerized functions that, if I understand correctly, adjust for the viscosity of the inoculant--which seems closer to the StarTrek vision of the device.

In some form or another they've been around a lot longer than that. When I entered the US Navy in 1969 the doctors used pressure guns that shot a high pressure stream of vaccine. 5 or 6 vaccinations at a time-- we just walked through the room as they shot us in both shoulders. Based on the link I would say that the 1960's version was cruder-- it left a big enough hole that we left the room leaking fluid.

In some form or another they've been around a lot longer than that. When I entered the US Navy in 1969 the doctors used pressure guns that shot a high pressure stream of vaccine. 5 or 6 vaccinations at a time-- we just walked through the room as they shot us in both shoulders. Based on the link I would say that the 1960's version was cruder-- it left a big enough hole that we left the room leaking fluid.

Oh my, sounds scary.

Don't want needles stuck in your arm? You can cut your arm and get inoculated if you are to afraid of them. Needles sure are scary, but I think that inoculation is scarier.

Oh my, sounds scary.

Don't want needles stuck in your arm? You can cut your arm and get inoculated if you are to afraid of them. Needles sure are scary, but I think that inoculation is scarier.

I remember some presentation by a company which produced hypodermic needles. These days, they are made with sharp angular tips so that any half-trained nurse can use one without the patient feeling anything at all. I also remember that they said they have to produce special batches with blunted tips for export to Africa. Apparently on that continent nobody believes anything can do you any good unless it really hurts. So a vaccination program will only work if seen to be unpleasant.

I also remember that they said they have to produce special batches with blunted tips for export to Africa. Apparently on that continent nobody believes anything can do you any good unless it really hurts. So a vaccination program will only work if seen to be unpleasant.

Not heard that before. But blunt needles are used widely in healthcare for the preparation of IV medications to reduce needlestick injuries.

I would challenge anyone to give an IM injection without any discomfort.

Never came across a needle-less injection in 12 year of nursing so can't say much about them. Maybe cost prohibitive?

I remember very severe warnings being given for handling the fuel injectors on diesel engines.

It's not because they are sharp, it's because if they operate when you are handling them, the can emit a jet of high pressure diesel that can go right through the skin and kill you from diesel poisoning.

People regularly die from careless handling of them.

• 2 weeks later...

We've entered the age of the hypo-spray, which is one of several devices predicted by the writers of the StarTrek series. According to this BBC report, a medical device company (Portal Instruments) will be marketing a device that delivers subcutaneous injectables without puncturing the skin. Available in 2018, the device injects a stream of inoculants in the form of steam about half the width of a human hair. Enjoy!

Old news, amigo. This technology may be new to the private sector but the military has had it for a long time. Ask any veteran, such as yours truly. Back in basic training in 2004 we recruits were given our vaccinations via this method before heading off to Afghanistan in OEF. And I can attest that it was really no less painful than the old needle. At least not the way these Army nurses did it to us! Thing is, too, if you moved during the injection it tipped your skin, unlike with a needle, since the needle moves with the skin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.