Does Almighy God view all people in the same light?

Alan McDougall

How does contentment elude secularism?

I don't think secularism excludes contentment but where is it taught?

We're all capable of contentment whatever 'ism we follow but secularism is too busy chasing happiness (plenty of 'how to books' on that); the difference is, you don't have to chase contentment.

Edited by dimreepr

I don't think secularism excludes contentment but where is it taught?

We're all capable of contentment whatever 'ism we follow but secularism is too busy chasing happiness (plenty of 'how to books' on that); the difference is, you don't have to chase contentment.

Contentment is not taught, you find it in understanding life and reality... Secularism chases lies and deceit fostered on society by theists, contentment and happiness come from admitting you do not know or have to have an answer for everything, especially when claiming to have answers you don't really have interferes with an understanding of reality and the happiness of others...

Edited by Moontanman

I think everybody needs to read this bit before they decide to take the bible seriously:

And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that
cometh out of man, in their sight...Then he [the Lord!] said unto me, Lo, I
have given thee cow's dung for man's dung, and thou shalt prepare thy bread
therewith.
[Ezek. 4:12-15 (KJV)]

Enjoy your sandwiches.

Contentment is not taught, you find it in understanding life and reality... Secularism chases lies and deceit fostered on society by theists, contentment and happiness come from admitting you do not know or have to have an answer for everything, especially when claiming to have answers you don't really have interferes with an understanding of reality and the happiness of others...

It doesn't need to be taught.

Just because you don't recognise a need doesn't mean that need doesn't exist; a contented populous is a peaceful society whereas a discontented populous, isn't peaceful, votes for people like Trump or worse and tends towards a spiral of suffering.

My apologies Moontanman, I was a little frustrated at the continued conflation of happiness with contentment, they aren't the same thing which I've explained many times on different threads, many of which you've participated in.

Just because you don't recognise a need doesn't mean that need doesn't exist;

A sleeping baby is content.

Nobody taught it to be so.

It's not a matter of my recognition of the need.

It's a matter of your failure to recognise that it is innate.

Have you made any worthwhile contributions to this tread?

Just because you don't recognise a need doesn't mean that need doesn't exist; a contented populous is a peaceful society whereas a discontented populous, isn't peaceful, votes for people like Trump or worse and tends towards a spiral of suffering.

My apologies Moontanman, I was a little frustrated at the continued conflation of happiness with contentment, they aren't the same thing which I've explained many times on different threads, many of which you've participated in.

I never said they were the same thing, you can be happy but not content, not sure about content but not happy... More importantly you do not need religion in general or the bible in particular to have either. In fact most theists spend way too much time worrying that somewhere, somehow, someone is happy doing something they do not approve of to be happy or content...

Edited by Moontanman

The God of the Jews, not Christians.

But you are only allowed to be Christian if you are Jewish - says so right there in the Bible:

5) These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritams enter ye not.

6) But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

(My emphasis).

But you are only allowed to be Christian if you are Jewish - says so right there in the Bible:

5) These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritams enter ye not.

6) But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

(My emphasis).

Acts 28:28 - Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and [that] they will hear it.

Colossians 3:11 - Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond [nor] free: but Christ [is] all, and in all.

Galatians 3:14 - That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Come to think of it, the Bible teaches you not to be content; it teaches you to hate people who behave differently.

Where does it teach to hate?

Please show me.

I know a lot of Christians do, but inside it, Jesus saves an adulteress woman. He dies on a cross for others. He eats and sleeps with the sinners. He teaches us to right the error in our own ways before worrying about others. He brings Jews away from thinking of themselves as superior and says all are equal in the eyes of the lord.

Tell me where is says "Hate thy neighbor if he doesn't act perfectly like you do."

Rather it says Matthew 18:21" Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?” 22 And Jesus answered "I tell you, not just seven times, but seventy seven times!"

A sleeping baby is content.

Nobody taught it to be so.

Most people are content when sleeping then they/we wake up and start to think/cry (teaching required).

It's a matter of your failure to recognise that it is innate.

Observation's of my fellow humans would suggest otherwise, evidence please.

I wrote:

Matthew 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritams enter ye not.

Acts 28:28 - Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and [that] they will hear it.

Colossians 3:11 - Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond [nor] free: but Christ [is] all, and in all.

Galatians 3:14 - That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Just what I was hoping for - a beautiful example of the fact that the whole bible is a steaming mass of contradictions and should have been binned centuries ago.

More importantly you do not need religion in general or the bible in particular to have either.

When have I suggested otherwise?

My point across multiple threads is exactly that, it's just that no-one outside of religion/bibles is trying.

In fact most theists spend way too much time worrying that somewhere, somehow, someone is happy doing something they do not approve of to be happy or content...

Indeed, but don't let their confusion sully your understanding.

Just what I was hoping for - a beautiful example of the fact that the whole bible is a steaming mass of contradictions and should have been binned centuries ago.

The OT is just as you describe, try the NT (not so much), but if that doesn't float your boat try Buddhism (Islamism will just further confuse you).

I wrote:

Matthew 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritams enter ye not.

Actually, it shows you are taking it out of context.

He's telling his diciples, to avoid cities with gentiles and Samaritans because they had a habit of KILLING them.

This verse, doesn't say "Gentiles and Samaritans can't be reborn." it simply says "Hey you 12, don't go there, you might die."

You clearly took this way out of context. Seriously, read the verse. It's saying, don't go there. And that's just to the 12. Not everyone. Read it, and don't just try and say "That's bullshit not worth my time." If you don't care to read it, then please mind me and don't try to quote it.

In fact most theists spend way too much time worrying that somewhere, somehow, someone is happy doing something they do not approve of to be happy or content...

Is that so?

Huh. Theists should be more like all the theists I know and volunteer at soup kitchens, host fundraisers, support people in need, pray, and be content.

I know an outreach program, run by theists, that supports women who had abortions, had unplanned pregnancies, or were single parents.

Those seem to be a result of doing something they didn't approve of, and yet they still help them. They don't accuse them.

So before being discriminatory to all theists, know we aren't all bad because of a few bad ones.

Because I'm pretty sure that's what you call discrimination am I wrong?

Gays and the corrupt views of hypocritical TV Evangelists

To start I make a statement that God views both heterosexual and homosexuals in exactly the same light. Both are capably of altruism towards their fellow humans and both are capably of the most hideous depravity.

I am believer in Jesus Christ, not the mad insanity of the thieving depraved lying hypocrite idiots of the likes of the TV evangelist thieves of the likes of Kenneth Copeland Benny Hinn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATTER DAY CHURCH CORRUPTION

God has reserved a special place for this kind of person, who uses the precious name of his only begotten n Son, for personal gain, power and wealth, by knowingly lying and milking gullible and vulnerable people out of their hard earned cash

Turn on your TV AND look no further and you will see the likes of Kennith Copeland and Benny Hinn billionaires, in action on their hypnotic stages hypnotizing and using Satanic tricks (In glee I think), deceiving people into believing any sort of outrageous rubbish and stealing from the hungry mouths of the gullible and disadvantaged.

God sent his one and only son, Jesus into this world to save everyone, not a special group restricted to just to heterosexual people

God loves gay people as much as he loves heterosexual people.

Jesus came to save all of humanity not according to their sexual identity!

Depravity and goodness exists both in heterosexual people as it does in gay people

There will be gay people in heaven, because if they turned from their sins and asked Jesus to accept them into his everlasting arms

the exact same situation faces heterosexual and homosexual, in Gods Holy Judgement

By the way I am a man of 76 years of age man, with four beautiful daughters ten great grandchildren and two beautiful baby great grand children

What are your thoughts on the matter of my post ?

To be honest, your thelogical view is far more fundmantalist than is mine. You began with a statement I agree with: that,is thee IS a God, a Supreme Entity that formed and controls the Universe, he (it?) does not "care" a fig about one's sexual preferences.

That said, I do not believe that Jesus of Nazareth was divine, and certainly not a god. I do not believe in a literal Heaven or Hell, but rather, that our own human minds can fahsion an emoptional version of either of those.

I think that if there IS any sort of God, it is a Deist, non-personal and certainly non-biblical God. More of a "Creative Force." This force has, again, not a remote speck of similiarity to the Yahweh of the Torah of the OT.

I agree that relgion is rife with greed and corruption. Guys like Benny Hinn are horrible representatives of their peronsal religions. Hinn of course is a total fraud. (quick qestion: why has he never offered to take his divine healing to an ER in a hospital? LOL)

I also agree that terrible frauds like Hinn and others really should not denigrate the idea of a God. But they do.

Of a personal, caring, prayer-listening God I ascribe a chance for existence at being less than 10%. Maybe even less than 5%.

For my aforementioned Deist Force God....I will maybe grant a one-in five chance. And that's on a good day when I'm feeling spiritual. LOL

Most people are content when sleeping then they/we wake up and start to think/cry (teaching required).

Observation's of my fellow humans would suggest otherwise, evidence please.

You don't need to teach someone to sleep.

I cited evidence.

A sleeping baby is content, but nobody taught it to be so.

And you ignored that evidence + posted bollocks in return.

Until you can explain who taught the baby (and how) there's no way you can maintain the pretence that contentment is taught.

Also, unless someone can explain how they think the bible says you should stone people to death because you are content with their behaviour, that idea's not going to fly either.

Edited by John Cuthber

When have I suggested otherwise?

My point across multiple threads is exactly that, it's just that no-one outside of religion/bibles is trying.

Indeed, but don't let their confusion sully your understanding.

The OT is just as you describe, try the NT (not so much), but if that doesn't float your boat try Buddhism (Islamism will just further confuse you).

I like Buddhism. There's more wisdom in this one paragraph than in every book from every other religion put together.

"Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it ... or

because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it.

Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for

the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you

find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings

-- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide."

[buddha [siddhartha Gautama] (?563-?483 BCE), founder of Buddhism]

Alternative translation:

"Believe not because some old manuscripts are produced, believe not

because it is your national belief, believe not because you have

been made to believe from your childhood, but reason truth out, and

after you have analyzed it, then if you find it will do good to one

and all, believe it, live up to it and help others to live up to it."

[buddha]

You don't need to teach someone to sleep.

I cited evidence.

A sleeping baby is content, but nobody taught it to be so.

And you ignored that evidence + posted bollocks in return.

Until you can explain who taught the baby (and how) there's no way you can maintain the pretence that contentment is taught.

Also, unless someone can explain how they think the bible says you should stone people to death because you are content with their behaviour, that idea's not going to fly either.

Now your talking bollocks, that's not evidence and you know it, as a man of science I expect better of you.

Now cite some real evidence to support your assertion that contentment is innate.

Babies sleeping contentedly? (Which you reject for some unknown reason.)

How do you know they aren't having a nightmare or sleeping fitfully (not so content)?

But that doesn't mean that same baby is content (if it was) when conscious, which after all is my point about my observations of the general contentment of others, I've questioned many (into the hundreds) friends and acquaintances (over the years), only one or two said they were; not evidence but it does support my hypothesis, especially without counter-evidence.

Besides which there are many studies that backs up a sense of fairness being innate, I've yet to find any studies on contentment.

Edited by dimreepr