DrmDoc

Today I Learned

Today I learned that most turkeys eaten on Thanksgiving are hens, while toms are generally turned into deli meats.

Today I learned that male turkeys are called Toms 

Edited by iNow

Today I learned that the surface tension of mercury can overcome the force of Earths gravity and form almost perfect spheres when small enough instead of flattened out blobs when theyre larger:

Edited by koti

46 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Today I learned the term aphophenia: seeing significance and meaning where there is none. It has interesting examples in for instance finance and statistics that I did not know had this common term.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

On the opposite end of the spectrum today I learned the term callipygous, which will allow me to comment on my wife's friend's figure without her knowing what in the hell I'm talking about.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/callipygous

Shame on you , Zap. ;)

I learned about Bufflehead Ducks from a friend of mine. It’s a small duck I had never heard of, much less seen. He said they apparently come down to Virginia's eastern shore from the arctic region during the winter. He said he had been watching a small group of about a dozen or so feeding in the water, that most all of them would dive under at the same time to feed except for one who apparently acted as a lookout. 

Edited by Cynic

Today (well, a few days ago) I learned that, in the observable universe, a quarter of the volume in cubic meters corresponds to the amount of particles with mass: 10^80

I assume it would look something like this as an equation:  0.25 * V = P

If this is wrong, blame google 😁

Edited by QuantumT

1 hour ago, Cynic said:

I learned about Bufflehead Ducks from a friend of mine. It’s a small duck I had never heard of, much less seen. He said they apparently come down to Virginia's eastern shore from the arctic region during the winter. He said he had been watching a small group of about a dozen or so feeding in the water, that most all of them would dive under at the same time to feed except for one who apparently acted as a lookout. 

I recently learned about Muscovy ducks. We were trying to figure out what to do about the flies that gather around our chicken coop and were told about the Muscovy's, which are excellent at catching and eating flies!

2 hours ago, zapatos said:

I recently learned about Muscovy ducks. We were trying to figure out what to do about the flies that gather around our chicken coop and were told about the Muscovy's, which are excellent at catching and eating flies!

They eat mice too apparently but they can also fly. They are slow growers, relatively poor egg layers and arten't the best meat birds.

Edited by StringJunky

The Facebook counter terrorism team is larger than the entire counter terrorism team of the US Department of State

People who want to prevent terrorists from using these platforms to grow and spread their hate 

Now, if only they could do the same with fake divisive political posts...