Today I Learned

DrmDoc

Today I learned that soldiers in the Polish army (doesnt matter if hes behind the desk or not) have to pass an annual physical, graded exam. There are different time limits for different excersizes for different age groups The excersizes are the same for all age groups, just the times vary. For my age group (40-45) To get the absolute highest grade I'd have to do 12 clean overgrip pullups, 60 clean pushups, swim 550m below 12 minutes and run 3km below 12 minutes.

Edit: Unless the soldiers I have in my IT training are screwing with me which is possible.

Edited by koti

Today I learned that soldiers in the Polish army (doesnt matter if hes behind the desk or not) have to pass an annual physical, graded exam. There are different time limits for different excersizes for different age groups The excersizes are the same for all age groups, just the times vary. For my age group (40-45) To get the absolute highest grade I'd have to do 12 clean overgrip pullups, 60 clean pushups, swim 550m below 12 minutes and run 3km below 12 minutes.

Edit: Unless the soldiers I have in my IT training are screwing with me which is possible.

I think an annual physical fitness requirement is essential for active military service members. Alas, that sort of physical regimen for me, a civilian, is far in my very distant past. Nowadays, ,the measure of my fitness is managing a leisurely stroll in the park with frequent park bench respites. .

Today I learned that time dilation is a lie ;)

Really? How so?

I'm interested in why you think it a lie?

Especially since, you know, it's been proven and documented many times.

I'll wait for your explanation.

Meanwhile​, here's my first volley......

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae433.cfm

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Polish? IT? In my experience, there is a high probability they are pulling your leg!

Really? How so?

I think it was irony.

I learned that the science of Acoustics does not deal exclusively with sound.

Seems it deals with the far more broad subject of the propagation and behavior and characteristics of ALL types of physical waves. So, like the vibrational waves on a steel girder in a suspension bridge that were caused by traffic would be an acoustical engineering problem.

Or..If you wanted to see how hard you needed to tap your dining room table with a hammer to get that salt shaker balanced on the edge to fall off....That too is a problem for Acoustics.

I learned this from my friend and former classmate in undergrad school who is now in the process of getting his MS in Acoustical Engineering.

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Ever wonder, How Your Brain Powers Your Thoughts? Well, today's your lucky day. That link is to a DNews Seeker video, which describes the process and how a protein (Glut4) in our neurons exact glucose from our bloodstream as we engage thought. Enjoy!

It's a good thing that I'm having alcohol right now (whiskey & coke zero) so I'm giving my brain adequate glucose to process the clip you posted as alcohol is converted more or less straight into sugar. Oh and and a +1 from me for a short 3:49 clip as my attention span is extremely short. Good clip.

Edited by koti

Ever wonder, How Your Brain Powers Your Thoughts? Well, today's your lucky day. That link is to a DNews Seeker video, which describes the process and how a protein (Glut4) in our neurons extract glucose from our bloodstream as we engage thought. Enjoy!

Yeah, the brain craves sugar and needs it more than any other organ. It'll use a good 1/5th of the sugar you eat while only comprising around 1/50th of your total body weight.

Now then...On the topic of brains and sugar, I learned that whole idea about how little kids get ramped up after ingesting too much sugar is a myth. Repeated observations by impartial observers ..Not parents! ...Show us that little Johnny or Tabitha isn't affected behaviorally by guzzling a large coke and a bag of Twizzlers.

Not to say we Americans don't eat too much sugar. I also learned that the average American gobbles....Get this...About 150 lbs. Of sugar every year.

And guess how much we are of it back about 150 years ago?

Three to five pounds.

Or..About 1/40th of today's yearly average.

So much for any needed further speculation as to sugar being a prime if not most pernicious culprit for our obesity epidemic, eh?

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Yeah, the brain craves sugar and needs it more than any other organ. It'll use a good 1/5th of the sugar you eat while only comprising around 1/50th of your total body weight.

Now then...On the topic of brains and sugar, I learned that whole idea about how little kids get ramped up after ingesting too much sugar is a myth. Repeated observations by impartial observers ..Not parents! ...Show us that little Johnny or Tabitha isn't affected behaviorally by guzzling a large coke and a bag of Twizzlers.

Not to say we Americans don't eat too much sugar. I also learned that the average American gobbles....Get this...About 150 lbs. Of sugar every year.

And guess how much we are of it back about 150 years ago?

Three to five pounds.

Or..About 1/40th of today's yearly average.

So much for any needed further speculation as to sugar being a prime if not most pernicious culprit for our obesity epidemic, eh?

Yeah, sugar intake doesn't increase hyperactivity but it can and does enhance mental acuity, which could translate into a more alert and active child. 150 to 250 years ago, sugar was a more precious commodity. Here in the states, the wealthy kept their sugar stocks under lock and key. As to our average yearly sugar intake, I think mine is more like 300 lbs....I think a lot, so I require a bit more than average. :)

Wow! 6 sugars in your tea by any chance and sugar mines in your cereal? :o

Gosh I hope those 300 pounds are just a missed guess DrmDoc. Thats more than 50 teaspoons per day, I dont think you could live through that?

Perhaps it was an exaggeration...but I do have a weakness for a certain sweet confection (Swedish Fish) that I, sparing no expense, buy in bulk and simply must have daily and often.

Today I learned there are tits living in my garden.

In your garden you say? Hmmm...what a likely lovely place for them to live.