Today I Learned

DrmDoc

Today I learnt that olive oil is 91% the weight of water and if you tried to swim in it would be like having a lead belt around you that was 9% of your bodyweight.

But it would make your skin nice and moist (if you did not drown). The Greeks used it regularly after a bath, and I always thought it would make one uncomfortably sticky. Greek women used rancid olive oil as a spermicide, by the way. No idea how effective that would be. Yuk.

Today I learned about negative mass and, by learned, I mean I have absolutely no understanding of the physics nor comprehension of what it is. The science is light-years beyond my understanding.

The key point I think is that the "negative mass", "behaves unexpectectedly"

Check out this video, I think this might be relevant:

https://youtu.be/y8mzDvpKzfY

The key point I think is that the "negative mass", "behaves unexpectectedly"

Check out this video, I think this might be relevant:

Though I'm not quite sure it describes principles relative to negative mass, your video link certainly does provide an easy to understand example of "behaves unexpectedly." If it is indeed relative to the idea of negative mass, I now have a firmer understanding of that idea. Thank you.

Edited by DrmDoc

Though I'm not quite sure it describes principles relative to negative mass, your video link certainly does provide an easy to understand example of "behaves unexpectedly." If it is indeed relative to the idea of negative mass, I now have a firmer understanding of that idea. Thank you.

Check a recent thread on this here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/104978-negative-mass/

Check a recent thread on this here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/104978-negative-mass/

As I understand, negative mass should involve a repulse/attraction effect, where positive (+) mass is repulsed by negative (-) mass while (-) mass maintains an attraction to (+) mass. The overall effect causes acceleration as (+) mass is continually repulsed and chased by negative mass. However, the physicists discovery discussed in that SFN link describes a fluid that accelerates backward when the nature of a negative mass elements, as I understand, should accelerate forward towards repulsed (+) masses. I believe the video link I posted discusses that discovery's acceleration conundrum. Nevertheless, I understand the substance and its effects much better now.

Edited by DrmDoc

Today I learnt that olive oil is 91% the weight of water and if you tried to swim in it would be like having a lead belt around you that was 9% of your bodyweight.

Today I learned that Stringjunky doesn't distinguish between weight and density.

I must get involved with trading kilos of lead vs kilos of feathers.

Today I learned that Stringjunky doesn't distinguish between weight and density.

I must get involved with trading kilos of lead vs kilos of feathers.

Your perpetual superior/sarcastic tone gets on my nerves. Why do you bother posting?

Today I learned that late blight (Phytophthora) was a major culprit in the 1840s European, the 1845 Irish, and the 1846 Highland potato famines.

In the end of september I often get phytophthora on my tomatoes in the greenhouse. The first visible Phytophtora-spots call the start of the end of the tomato season :)

Edited by Itoero

Today I learned that Frequency of Penile-Vaginal Intercourse is Associated with Verbal Recognition Performance in Adult Women

What I have not yet learned is whether this is good news or not.

Link

Edited by DrKrettin

Today I learned that Frequency of Penile-Vaginal Intercourse is Associated with Verbal Recognition Performance in Adult Women

What I have not yet learned is whether this is good news or not.

Link

I had a look and have to say that the jury's still out on this one. Correlation isn't causation and the sample is small. This needs more research.

I had a look and have to say that the jury's still out on this one. Correlation isn't causation and the sample is small. This needs more research.

The data is tight and the conclusions firm. I'm convinced enough to move on to an alpha-test of a new procedure I'm calling Smart Sex. I'll go to great lengths to help improve cognitive function, no matter how hard on me it is.

The data is tight and the conclusions firm. I'm convinced enough to move on to an alpha-test of a new procedure I'm calling Smart Sex. I'll go to great lengths to help improve cognitive function, no matter how hard on me it is.

Ha!

This means that since we had a kid 12 months ago both of us suffer from chronic amnesia. Or my second half suffers from it according to this study.

Edited by koti

It's a pity there aren't more people in the world like you, PfA; such completely selfless altruism is all too rare. I'm fighting back the tears now. Vaya con Dios!

Today,i learned that women like to look at men's butts because it helps them learn how to lip-read.

Today I learned the infinite monkey theorem :)

It states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. In fact the monkey would almost surely type every possible finite text an infinite number of times.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem#Infinite_strings

220px-Chimpanzee_seated_at_typewriter.jp

Today I learned that Marie Skłodowska Curie was a smart lady.

She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, the first person and only woman to win twice, the only person to win a Nobel Prize in two different sciences, and was part of the Curie family legacy of five Nobel Prizes.

Nobel Prize in Physics (1903, with Pierre)

Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1911)

Curie died in 1934, aged 66, at a sanatorium in Sancellemoz (Haute-Savoie), France, due to aplastic anemia brought on by exposure to radiation while carrying test tubes of radium in her pockets during research, and in the course of her work at field hospitals during World War I.

Today I learned that Marie Skłodowska Curie was a smart lady.

She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, the first person and only woman to win twice, the only person to win a Nobel Prize in two different sciences, and was part of the Curie family legacy of five Nobel Prizes.

Nobel Prize in Physics (1903, with Pierre)

Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1911)

Curie died in 1934, aged 66, at a sanatorium in Sancellemoz (Haute-Savoie), France, due to aplastic anemia brought on by exposure to radiation while carrying test tubes of radium in her pockets during research, and in the course of her work at field hospitals during World War I.

I'm impressed that you got her last name right with the crossed l - ł :)

We went to the ZOO with our 1 year old over the weekend. I took the below picture of a baboon and looking at it it got me thinking of how interesting the visual and behavioral similarities between homosapien and other primates are. I learned that baboons are part of the "Old World Monkeys" tribe and that the classification of primates is actually pretty complex. I know virtually nothing about evolutionary biology and I know that there is nothing scientific about what I'm about to say but...just look at this guy's eyes and facial expression - it's astounding (click for larger image):

post-120020-0-09874500-1494852405_thumb.jpg

Edited by koti