Today I Learned

DrmDoc

19 hours ago, dimreepr said:

All I'm asking is, why is it important to you?

mmm well , to me ; everything about security important in every time period. but if we consider long time periods ,then ...

to my point of my view, creation of efficacious products are important ,not exactly money..

• 1 month later...

Today I learned that you are not allowed to remove litter from this grass covered beach. The reason is related to science. 

A862F226-30F2-4778-876C-BA7152785032.jpeg.58df88b343bf31a0ab95dae1444ecf91.jpeg

The beach is used as a reference for marine litter. The information collected from the reference beaches about the litter that floats ashore can be used in scientific modeling or studies.

(Obviously you are also not allowed to add any litter but that rule applies nation wide in public places.)

Edited by Ghideon
Trying to fix the format using phone…

• 1 month later...

Today I learned that the high voltage lab on my old campus have been decommissioned and the building is used for indoor climbing. The lab was used when developing high voltage parts of Sweden's electrical grid and for instance short circuit tests were performed. The building is covered completely in copper not disturb surrounding activities. (Copper plates are also covering the ground under the building)
Faradayburen.jpg

(Image link: Wikipedia commons)

Side note: I got curious about large copper plates, high voltage, faraday cages and the old lab due to some activities in another thread.

(Non serious) side notes in relation to that other thread:
Yes, the copper measures more than 16x16 m.
No, black holes or worm holes were never created here :-)

I'm surprised nobody is stealing panels off the building.

The old Science building of my university ( Brock University was only 10 years old when I got there ) was a former Corning Glass lab.
When the new Science Complex was built, the old one was demolished to build townhouses.

Edited by MigL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone. So uhh, i'm back from the lab and I learned that uhhh entropy is the measure of decay of structure in the solid matter.

To me this means that everything in the universe will eventually decay into nothingness assuming current laws of physics.

This makes me feel happy about myself because I can deduce a reason to live from it, which is that everything is finite and unstable, but I can come up with ways to better structure myself and my surroundings.

Thank you all for coming and enjoy the rest of your evenings!

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, lucy brighton said:

It is human to think and anticipate our future and during that process we let the present slip.

JUST TRY TO LIVE IN THE MOMENT!

We don't have a choice. We can think about past and anticipate future, but we do this - as well as everything else - in the present, i.e., in the moment.

• 1 month later...

During this week I've (re)learned about the basic principles and laws of thermo dynamics and their physical consequences. For reasons unknown I did not like the subject at all when studying physics and I've not used it theoretically as an engineer. With the help of several regular members* I've improved my understanding by arguing in favour of mainstream science in a recent thread in speculations. The scientific definitions/concepts "temperature", "heat", "heat transfer", "entropy", "heat death of the universe" and more does now have a meaning. 

I might even take a look at the mathematics again, time will tell...

Thanks,

/G

*) @sethoflagos, @studiot, @joigus, @exchemist ... sorry if I neglected anyone, I'm not going to dig through the 400+ pots in the thread again...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Lee0110 said:

I've read the article https://pingpongacademy.org/ping-pong-vs-table-tennis/ and turned out what's the difference between ping pong and table tennis.

In case anyone wondered, yest this does belong with the jokes.
The Equipment The equipment used in these two sports is another major difference between them. For a start, the pin pong table, about 3.7 mm in diameter, is slightly larger than the table tennis court, which is only 3.4 mm.

Source: https://pingpongacademy.org/ping-pong-vs-table-tennis/

I'm just not sure if it's deliberate.

• 2 months later...

TIL I learned a new measurement:  "Poronkusema" which is roughly 7.5 km.

It literally translates to "reindeer piss", and is the distance a reindeer can run before having to stop to take a bathroom break.

56 minutes ago, Janus said:

It literally translates to "reindeer piss", and is the distance a reindeer can run before having to stop to take a bathroom break.

A Norwegian reindeer can go 10  km   even if  has to make do with  drinking beer.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

How was this determined?  Any methodology that claims to achieve such a precise figure deserves close examination.  As @geordief has stumbled upon research that challenges orthodox beliefs about the Norwegian reindeer bladder, I feel we need a thread refereed by a cystiszoologist and a micturologist, experts who have monitored what I'm sure is a steady flow of papers.  Pee-reviewed papers, of course.  

• 4 weeks later...

Today I had the opportunity to learn about the wonderful world of art and crafting. I discovered new techniques for painting, learned about the history of different art movements, and explored the endless possibilities of creative expression. It was inspiring to see how art and crafting can bring people together and create beauty in the world. I'm excited to continue learning and exploring this fascinating field!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I learned that the front USB ports on computers don’t always supply enough power for an X-ray sensor. Technically I learned it yesterday, but I got to apply and confirm it today on an unrelated job.

Edited by Steve81

• 4 weeks later...

TIL, after receiving the results from my DNA test, that I am apparently 2% Inuit.

This initially took me a bit off guard, as I have a pretty good grasp of my ancestry, and there seemed to be little to no chance of that.

Then I remembered something that I saw once dealing with halpogroups and migrations.

There is a Q halpogroup which migrated across Siberia to the Bering Strait and then to the Americas. But there was also one part of that group which branched off and headed East, In the general direction of the Nordic countries. 

I'm guessing that some of that group found its way to Finland, where the vast majority of my ancestry is from, and contributed a bit to that ancestry.

So, while I have no Inuit in my ancestry, I do share a genetic marker with the Inuit.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:42 AM, Janus said:

TIL, after receiving the results from my DNA test, that I am apparently 2% Inuit.

This initially took me a bit off guard, as I have a pretty good grasp of my ancestry, and there seemed to be little to no chance of that.

Then I remembered something that I saw once dealing with halpogroups and migrations.

There is a Q halpogroup which migrated across Siberia to the Bering Strait and then to the Americas. But there was also one part of that group which branched off and headed East, In the general direction of the Nordic countries. 

I'm guessing that some of that group found its way to Finland, where the vast majority of my ancestry is from, and contributed a bit to that ancestry.

So, while I have no Inuit in my ancestry, I do share a genetic marker with the Inuit.

So I did a bit of research, and it turns out that the Sámi, which are the indigenous people of the Nordic countries, are basically indistinguishable from the Inuit.

This map show the present homeland of the Sámi (Sámpi)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sámi#/media/File:LocationSapmi.png

Here is a map showing the regions my genes come from(Which matches what I know from my family tree)The small Northern regions show some overlap with the Sámi regions, and I know my ancestors were from the Northern parts of those regions

dna_map.png.064b8abab1824165f86f5c7c33c041cc.png

So it is not a stretch to assume that the 2% tagged as Inuit is Sámi, and with that bit of info, the results make a bit more sense.

• 1 month later...

I came across some new info that solidifies the idea that I have at least some Sámi in my ancestry.  It was a YouTube video which broke down the DNA of a Sámi male.  It used results from the same test I took.

It identified one of the genetic groups as matching one of mine.

It returned a result of 7% Inuit, which adds weight to my suspicion of where my 2% result came from.

The icing on the cake was in another video on the Sámi, which had a photo of a Sámi girl.  I saw a strong resemblance to my sister.  I called my wife over and asked her if the photo reminded her of anyone( without giving her any other context), and she said my sister.

So while still not 100% conclusive, I'd say that the odds are pretty high.