Today I Learned

DrmDoc

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, michel123456 said:

Today I learned about the String Shooter effect. (in fact I learned nothing, I enjoyed the video)

That was neat! kinda reminded me of when I worked for dupont, we wore ear plugs and had to get a new set every day or so.They had a narrow ball chain that had hooks on one end so you could make a small loop to connect the ear plugs to your belt. Over time we would collect several pounds of chain by connecting all of them end to end. Then we would take 20 or 30 fee of chain and suspend them from the mezzanine and whirl them around to make all sorts of odd shapes in the air. sometimes they looked like they were violating some sort of law of physics as they whirled in the air looking like a 3d wave suspended in the air. I know, bored men on midnight shift... 

19 hours ago, Moontanman said:

That was neat! kinda reminded me of when I worked for dupont, we wore ear plugs and had to get a new set every day or so.They had a narrow ball chain that had hooks on one end so you could make a small loop to connect the ear plugs to your belt. Over time we would collect several pounds of chain by connecting all of them end to end. Then we would take 20 or 30 fee of chain and suspend them from the mezzanine and whirl them around to make all sorts of odd shapes in the air. sometimes they looked like they were violating some sort of law of physics as they whirled in the air looking like a 3d wave suspended in the air. I know, bored men on midnight shift... 

This kind of chain?

I'm not sure where this should go so this seems as good a place as any...

Today I learned that dinosaurs lived on the other side of the galaxy.

This is a neat animation of the timescale of dinosaurs (and others) related to our orbit around the galactic centre: 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got my atheroma cyst finally cut out from my back for good. I had a nice chat about internet forums, vaccine deniers and the internet in general with the surgeon who performed the procedure. We had so much fun that at the end looking at the thing in the jar we decided it has to be either a 5G implant or a portable chemtrail amplifier.

I initially thought about posting this in the computer science section but figured swansont is probably not gonna like it. 

Hail Hydra!

(maybe move to the jokes section)

03BA428A-D27F-48C9-9C18-1E05E1BBC13D.jpeg

EDA352F9-EB15-41D8-BF7E-0C6209E2556D.jpeg

Edited by koti

12 hours ago, Strange said:

Today I learned that Harry Belafonte's 1956 album Calypso was the first album in the US to sell more than a million copies. Sadly, this is because Irving Burgie, who wrote most of the songs, died today.

That would seem to violate causality.

4 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

"Sadly, this" refers to Strange's learning about the album only because the writer died. He wasn't talking about "that", so your argument is an obvious bananaman.

I was going to say something similar. (But wasn't sure it was really necessary.)

But I am amazed that a record by a black singer (in the 1950s) should be the first million seller. There're were other factors related to technology and culture that may have played a part. But I would have guessed Elvis, if pressed.

28 minutes ago, Strange said:

I was going to say something similar. (But wasn't sure it was really necessary.)

But I am amazed that a record by a black singer (in the 1950s) should be the first million seller. There're were other factors related to technology and culture that may have played a part. But I would have guessed Elvis, if pressed.

"Elvis, if pressed" (referring to records) is a double pun. More than enough payback for my causality joke.

I learned in the last couple of days that Fizeau demonstrated the addition of velocities  in 1851

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizeau_experiment

and that it gave a stimulus to Einstein in formulating Special Relativity.

Also learned why he called it "Special " (it only applies to uniformly  translating frames of reference)

Thanks for the book reccomendation Studiot.   :)