Today I Learned

DrmDoc

3 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

Today I learned, a 52 year old man became a 6 year old girl after leaving his wife and seven children behind.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3356084/I-ve-gone-child-Husband-father-seven-52-leaves-wife-kids-live-transgender-SIX-YEAR-OLD-girl-named-Stefonknee.html

Today you learned, the internet has a lot of shit... to be angry at.

Edited by dimreepr

On 3.05.2018 at 2:38 PM, Raider5678 said:

Today I learned, a 52 year old man became a 6 year old girl after leaving his wife and seven children behind.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3356084/I-ve-gone-child-Husband-father-seven-52-leaves-wife-kids-live-transgender-SIX-YEAR-OLD-girl-named-Stefonknee.html

Still less f up than evangelists from the American south :P 

The snow plowing made me laugh, I feel sory for his wife and kids though. What makes me laugh too, is this righty interviewer treating this whole thing as something that we should be concerned about legisatively. Why doesn’t he target polygamy in the US south for example? Theres surely more of that going in than grown men thinking they’re 6 year old girls...and its surely hurting a lot more people than this poor bastard. 

On 02/05/2018 at 5:20 PM, Raider5678 said:

Today I learned men can be arrested in New York for having their legs spread too wide on public transportation, also known as manspreading.

I hope you found out accidentally as a fun fact and not from officer John while he's writing a ticket haha.

2 hours ago, Silvestru said:

I hope you found out accidentally as a fun fact and not from officer John while he's writing a ticket haha.

Fun fact.

I found it funny tbh. 

3 hours ago, koti said:

Why doesn’t he target polygamy in the US south for example? 

Because the video was on one topic, not all topics.

However, he actually does happen to have an article about polygamy, and his opinion of it.

Except, his opinion is mostly focused on the LGBTQ+ community pushing for polygamy......

So I'm not going to post the link. However, just google steven crowder polygamy if you're interested.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:25 PM, dimreepr said:

I learned that a long time ago.

Today I learned the name Australia has 3 a's.

And every single one of them is pronounced differently.

1 hour ago, Raider5678 said:

LGBTQ+ community pushing for polygamy......

Wow, I wasn’t aware that something like that could exist. Its a lot weirder that a grown man insisting on accepting that he identifies with being a 6 year old girl. 

Then again, a link would be good.

Edited by koti

On 5/3/2018 at 10:25 AM, dimreepr said:

Today I learned that there are folks out there who spread random stuff without any level of source analysis. Also, apparently random youtube videos are a source of learning now (which goes back to point one).

13 hours ago, CharonY said:

Today I learned that there are folks out there who spread random stuff without any level of source analysis. Also, apparently random youtube videos are a source of learning now (which goes back to point one).

So you deny there is a 52 year old man who thinks he's a 6 year old girl?

2 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

So you deny there is a 52 year old man who thinks he's a 6 year old girl?

That article is from the daily mail  -  they are renown for twisting facts in the way they report things.  I wasn't going to, but I read it anyway  -  It doesn't say at all that the person 'thinks' they are a 6 year old girl. They know exactly what they are  -  it says they want to LIVE as a 6 year old girl because they were denied the chance to be one as a child.

Take ANYTHING you read in the daily mail with a pinch of salt...  or just don't bother reading it.  I knew a trainee police man once   -  he was in the daily mail with 6 of his colleges as they were on a training course to teach them how to stop traffic and issue tickets. A reporter from the daily mail (or daily hate as some call it here) took their photo and reported it in the mail the next week.    "Keystone cops take 7 police men to arrest drivers turning right at no right turn sign" was the headline.  The whole article was about how incompetent the police were in London as it took 7 officers hiding behind a bush to jump out and arrest drivers violating the no right turn sign   -  it was totally mis reported and basically a total lie.

Just saying  -  sometimes the headlines in the mail are totally opposite to what is actually happening.  This article about the trans guy is probably there to anger people into hating gays more. Who cares what gays or anyone want to do to their own bodies or that of their legally consenting partners.  It is none of mine or your business and certainly not the daily mail's business. Alas - their regular reader take it all as truth and slide into their own hateful view sooner or later as they believe what they read to be actual news....  when it is mainly propaganda designed to make you hate gays, the poor and immigrants.....  allegedly. :-( 

28 minutes ago, DrP said:

That article is from the daily mail 

That is not the only issue, though it is part of source evaluation. The bigger one, I think, is that with social media we get more access to all the weird stuff individuals may (or may not) believe. As such it is possible to find at least one person to say the darndest things. While that is utterly inconsequential as such the sheer emotional impact of such sillyness elevates them above information of actual relevance. It is like celebrity worship on steroids, where inconsequential things are elevated. And then some folks take it seriously and spread it even further. It is utter distraction and we see that they are eventually weaponized by folks with an agenda. It creates an alternate reality where internet memes are treated as real or of relevance. Note that this is not something new, celebrity cults have been around for some time and they have slowly eroding the power of real reporting. Yet, the scope and weaponization seems to have kicked up a notch.

It leads to a lot of problems, including utter disruption of public discourse, as we now cannot even agree on the same facts. In addition it also dilutes the conversation when folks who are or could be in position power say stupid things. 

5 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It leads to a lot of problems, including utter disruption of public discourse, as we now cannot even agree on the same facts. In addition it also dilutes the conversation when folks who are or could be in position power say stupid things. 

Indeed, the army of the righteously indignant is growing strong. 

2 hours ago, DrP said:

They know exactly what they are  -  it says they want to LIVE as a 6 year old girl because they were denied the chance to be one as a child.

I thought being transgender was believing you were a different gender.

Not just pretending you are because you want to be.

But whatever. Everyone to their own devices.

2 hours ago, DrP said:

That article is from the daily mail  -  they are renown for twisting facts in the way they report things.

Fair enough.

Here are some other articles.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/stefonknee-wolschtt-transgender-father-leaves-family-in-toronto-to-start-new-life-as-a-six-year-old-a6769051.html

https://www.mediaite.com/online/meet-the-52-year-old-father-who-identifies-a-6-year-old-girl/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/transgender-woman-leaves-wife-7-kids-live-girl-article-1.2463795

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Indeed, the army of the righteously indignant is growing strong. 

Indeed, the army of the righteously ignorant is growing strong.

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

And then some folks take it seriously and spread it even further. It is utter distraction and we see that they are eventually weaponized by folks with an agenda. It creates an alternate reality where internet memes are treated as real or of relevance. Note that this is not something new, celebrity cults have been around for some time and they have slowly eroding the power of real reporting. Yet, the scope and weaponization seems to have kicked up a notch.

I don't really think you can just treat the LGBTQ+ community as fake or not relevant. They have a lot more political power then you think.

4 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

Indeed, the army of the righteously ignorant is growing strong.

Well, you said it and who am I to disagree, after all, the indignant is just the angry iteration. 

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Well, you said it and who am I to disagree, after all, the indignant is just the angry iteration. 

Well, you said it first, and who am I to disagree, after all, the ignorant is just the ........struggling to find a good vocabulary word here.

You win.

15 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

I thought being transgender was believing you were a different gender.

You said he believed that he was 6 years old. He knows how old is - he knows he is not 6.

20 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

a 52 year old man who thinks he's a 6 year old girl?

...  he doesn't think he is six years old. Is this willfull misleading to promote your hatred of Transgender people or just an error in understanding the article?

Why do you care about what some 52 year old bloke does to his own body or how he lives anyway? Why are you so interested in it, are you looking to take the change yourself?

Today I learned that Gold is more expensive than platinum per gram by quite a bit.   I always thought it was the other way around. Volume wise platinum is dearer - it is just that the density is higher so the same sized ring is dearer. I feel I should have known this from school or something as it seems it should be basic chemistry general knowledge... hold on a mo....

...  I went and looked up the densities...   19.32 g/cm^3 for gold against 21.45 g/cm^3 for platinum....  that doesn't seem like a big difference at all!?  The price per gram for Pt is £21.45 and the gold price per gram is £31.47.   This still doesn't add up or explain the difference in ring prices..... 

Ah!   maybe it is because gold is rarely pure and comes in 9 / 18 / 24 carat etc..   I can only assume most Pt rings are pure and solid to account for the price compared to impure gold rings of lower carat. I think they mix the gold otherwise it is too soft.  But - in short gold is more expensive than platinum (according to todays charts).

14 minutes ago, DrP said:

Today I learned that Gold is more expensive than platinum per gram by quite a bit.   I always thought it was the other way around. Volume wise platinum is dearer

It should be, but today you learned value is more about provenance than... value. It's only when scarcity meets a need that a true value is realised.

Edited by dimreepr

6 hours ago, DrP said:

..  he doesn't think he is six years old. Is this willfull misleading to promote your hatred of Transgender people or just an error in understanding the article?

a 52 year-old Canadian father of seven explains how he now identifies as a 6 year-old girl.

This says identifies.

Transgender is identifying as a different gender. 

Both this man, and the rest of the transgender community use the word "identifies"

So why is this different?

6 hours ago, DrP said:

your hatred of Transgender people

It's not hatred, it's non belief.