The science of Boredom

I'm making another topic because no one is getting on my other one( I think I accidentally answered my own question <_< ). Anyways, I'd insted like to talk about boredom. Why do we get bored? How is boredom a good thing (this can be evolutionary or current day)? can boredom be inflicted/remedied?

Again, like my first topic, The easiest way to go about this is to give me some samples of boring scenarios, activities, or even things in general. you can post your own theories, of course, and if you see something wrong with someone else's theory, make sure to point it out. Also, do be mindful that we're only right a small fraction of the time, but when we combine our fractions together we have a better chance of figuring it out.

Have Fun! -Mr. T

P.S. I know that that's not really how fractions work, but just go along with me here.

Would it not be caused by the reward system (especially dopaminergic VTA-NAc-pathway) and the absence of stimuli stimulating it?

If we were to be born in an empty room, out of nothing (hypothetically), and we were to be fed there through a small hole through which we won't see anything interesting, and we'd be 'raised' in that manner, would we get bored?

Well whenever people get bored, they normally try interacting with the things around them. Maybe It's instinctual, a way of making sure our minds are always running. By this logic you'd be wrong, but what do I know?

also, by your logic, we constantly have dopamine running through our brain, which would in turn make dopamine affect us less. We'd get bored of it.

Well whenever people get bored, they normally try interacting with the things around them. Maybe It's instinctual, a way of making sure our minds are always running. By this logic you'd be wrong, but what do I know?

also, by your logic, we constantly have dopamine running through our brain, which would in turn make dopamine affect us less. We'd get bored of it.

We are all (well most of us) addicted to something, boredom is just the lack of that particular stimulus.

The lonely crave company, just as much as the junky craves drugs.

Yes, i understand that, but you're confusing boredom with craving. when your bored, you think of everything you can do, like read a book, watch TV, or talk to someone. When you crave something, you're only thinking about one thing and one thing only, not any alternatives. Also, boredom normally occurs when your doing some thing mundane and repetitive or doing nothing at all.

Yes, i understand that, but you're confusing boredom with craving. when your bored, you think of everything you can do, like read a book, watch TV, or talk to someone. When you crave something, you're only thinking about one thing and one thing only, not any alternatives. Also, boredom normally occurs when your doing some thing mundane and repetitive or doing nothing at all.

Craving for the lack of boredom?

Spend a month alone with just the food you need, water and shelter; maybe then you'll understand the difference between boredom and craving.

Would it not be caused by the reward system (especially dopaminergic VTA-NAc-pathway) and the absence of stimuli stimulating it?

If we were to be born in an empty room, out of nothing (hypothetically), and we were to be fed there through a small hole through which we won't see anything interesting, and we'd be 'raised' in that manner, would we get bored?

You would no nothing else and no outside world. You have nothing to compare it.

It like people born in North Korea they have no concept of democracy or freedom. This is why when people leave countries like that and move to countries that have democracy and freedom they have a hard time fitting in.

You would no nothing else and no outside world. You have nothing to compare it.

It like people born in North Korea they have no concept of democracy or freedom. This is why when people leave countries like that and move to countries that have democracy and freedom they have a hard time fitting in.

Exactly. You couldn't imagine what it is you're missing, so why be bored.

How about we split this into two theories for the time being: one where this hypothetical tube room DOES make you bored, and one where it DOESN'T.

We'll start every theory based on the first scenario with "#1" and the second scenario "#2".

Agreed, but how does that help those who can?

It doesn't. It's a probable hypothesis concerning the subject of this topic: trying to explore the science of boredom.

I'm sure Schrödinger didn't actively help anyone with his dead-or-not cat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well to me boredom is the state of mind that occurs when one is not in a state for either interest or anticipation. Or excitement. The latter state of course stands on the opposite end of the spectrum from boredom.

Boredom occurs when we are not sufficiently using our minds cognitive and interpretive abilities,sand are not engaging our senses with external stimuli. Religion of something that was even once mildly interesting can relegate said activity to being a boring one. This because the brain constructs neural pathways that get stronger and more ingrained with repitition. To not be bored we must be using newer neural pathways. Or even non-existent ones. This is how one learns, by making paths. It's a form of neural plasticity.

I will refrain from offering examples of what is boring, as some are obvious and you can certainly think of them yourself. What's boring for one person may not be for another.

Yeah, I know....I'm a psych nerd! LOL.