Baffled over an Icy Pole Ice Block

tylergray14

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could possibly shed some light on something that has been baffling me over the past few days...

My girlfriend purchased a box of Lemonade Icy Poles the other day and put them in the freezer, all frozen as per normal. A few days later she came over and decided to bring two of them with her, the trip is approximately 15 minutes in the middle of summer and despite good air conditioning in her car they had melted, not completely though. Once she arrived they were immediately put in the freezer.

This is where I get confused.. the next day we remembered the Icy Poles and decided to have them, however when I opened the freezer they were not melted at all... they were completely liquidised.. the freezer was fine as everything else in there was still frozen... this confused me so I put them in another freezer and still the same result...?

My question is how is this possible?

If anyone could please shed some light that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Tyler.

What is the temperature of your freezer? Maybe you need one of those freezers at -30C to get it frozen.... Could be that it needs something below zero to freeze it (the dyes and flavourings may act as impurities which lowers the freezing point). I'm not saying it needs -30.... maybe -15 or -10 or something... if your freezer is just an ice box I don't think they are much below the range of 0 to -5C.

What is the temperature of your freezer? Maybe you need one of those freezers at -30C to get it frozen.... Could be that it needs something below zero to freeze it (the dyes and flavourings may act as impurities which lowers the freezing point). I'm not saying it needs -30.... maybe -15 or -10 or something... if your freezer is just an ice box I don't think they are much below the range of 0 to -5C.

Yeah, I reckon the flavours are acting as an antifreeze.