The Elephant in the littlest room!

DrP

@Mootanman - I hope you mean pics of the bowl!!! 8-)

@Zaptos - I don't think I am being silly at all (the odd bit of joking aside)... can you imagine if it was, lets grab an arbitrary figure, 20% of all women that experienced the same problem... they had to bump their little love bean onto a cold, wet, pissy porcelain surface that was sometimes covered in bleach and cleaning fluids or god know what else, everytime they sat down to go? I am pretty certain they would not put up with it... they would nag and nag until someone fixed the design... lol.. but blokes either just don't care or just don't talk about such things.

Water levels could probably be adjusted. I wonder if the front design isn't to facilitate flushing? Perhaps if the bowl is deeper in front the water doesn't swirl correctly, or might splash up, or take a significantly greater amount of water. There's also the "sticky" factor to think of. The design attempts to minimize any waste that sticks to the porcelain, and a deeper front may not have as pleasing a result.

There has to be a factor we aren't considering. In my experience, when men want something fixed, it gets fixed, especially if it's something they use a lot, and doubly especially if it involves their penis and its wellbeing. If a woman wants something fixed and can't do it herself, she needs to convince the men somehow that they want it fixed too.

Out of curiosity, is it a problem with all toilets, including the elongated ones, or only the round ones (congrats btw, you made me google pictures of toilet bowls...).

There has to be a factor we aren't considering. In my experience, when men want something fixed, it gets fixed, especially if it's something they use a lot, and doubly especially if it involves their penis and its wellbeing. If a woman wants something fixed and can't do it herself, she needs to convince the men somehow that they want it fixed too.

Women can be quite persuasive.

Edited by Bender

I think the elongated ones are fine... I must admit it is not ALL toilets although I did state it was all the OP.... but most / a lot. I exaggerated when I said every time.

QUOTE: "Women can be quite persuasive."

They wouldn't stand for it at all!

@Zaptos - I don't think I am being silly at all (the odd bit of joking aside)... can you imagine if it was, lets grab an arbitrary figure, 20% of all women that experienced the same problem... they had to bump their little love bean onto a cold, wet, pissy porcelain surface that was sometimes covered in bleach and cleaning fluids or god know what else, everytime they sat down to go? I am pretty certain they would not put up with it... they would nag and nag until someone fixed the design... lol.. but blokes either just don't care or just don't talk about such things.

Perhaps what I view as silly has to do with differences between our cultures. In the US, public restrooms are not considered any kind of a right, and the suggestion that businesses and local governments should be compelled to take on such an expense to modify a perfectly functional device into a perfectly functional and comfortable device seems a bit over the top to me.

I'm quite sure women sit down in public restrooms more frequently than men do, and when men must sit, there is nothing stopping them from first wiping that bit of porcelain or laying a bit of toilet paper over it to avoid direct contact.

Many women 'hover' above the toilet when they use it to avoid touching that cold, wet, pissy plastic surface covered in bleach and cleaning fluids or god knows what else every time they sit down to go. I am of course talking about the toilet seat. But I've heard no demand for action from them to replace all toilet seats with something more hygienic.

The argument about public facilities is quite valid, I think. But that would not stop changing the design for private dwellings if customers wanted. I imagine that most men actually use the toilets at home more often than elsewhere, generally. (A statement which can be challenged on all kinds of levels I suppose.)

I just can't resist 'slipping in' that sort of thing Phi, sorry, lol. I wondered if I would get into trouble for 'brining it up' (stop me!) in the engineering section, but at the end of the day I guess it is an engineering problem when the school boy humour is put aside.

I often use the paper barrier idea quoted above... Regarding women that hover - I think that they are being overly screamish as the seat doesn't really get as much exposure to the liquids involved, even the cleaning of the seat is a wipe and ends up dry. The inside of the bowl is much worse than the seat.

The inside of the bowl is much worse than the seat.

And that's the real point. If you're seated, you're making the water even worse by definition. Having that water touch any part of you once it's fouled is NOT desirable.

Perhaps some authoritative letters pointing out the public health risks of not using elongated toilet bowls would persuade local councils of the merits of changing building codes to ensure new construction is elephant-friendly. Any male councilmembers enthusiastically voting for such a measure might gain a reputation for their huge commitment to civic doody.

And that's the real point. If you're seated, you're making the water even worse by definition. Having that water touch any part of you once it's fouled is NOT desirable.

As I recall, once a toilet is flushed, the contents of the water proceed to coat the toilet seat, walls, floor, toothbrush by the sink, etc. I'd be curious to see how much dirtier the porcelain is than the seat.

Here's something a quick search found:

When you flush a toilet, the swirling water that removes your waste from the bowl also mixes with small particles of that waste, shooting aerosolized feces into the air.

Low-flow toilets have decreased this risk — they don't gush or blast as much as other types of johns — but countless old toilets are still in use today and can really spew.

Philip Tierno, a microbiologist at New York University, says that aerosol plumes can reach as high as 15 feet.

http://www.businessinsider.com/flushing-toilet-seat-up-sprays-water-germs-2016-3 Edited by zapatos

Yea - I've read that before about the aerosol. It is why I no longer clean my teeth in the bathroom - I now use the kitchen.

Pretty certain wiping your end on the porcelain has got to be worse than just swinging it around in the free air... Even if it is only a psychological discomfort.

A buddy of mine has a new toilet with something that increases the flush power, but it starts out with this terrible hiss, like it's a tiny nozzle trying to force too large a flow. It scares the hell out of you. The first time I stood in front of it and flushed, I hadn't quite finished, so I found out what aiming and being startled simultaneously was all about. Not good if you want to be invited back.

I've never sat on his toilet, but it makes me wonder now if the water isn't being aerosolized somehow to make it more efficient in flushing, with the inadvertent effect of causing plumes.

A buddy of mine has a new toilet with something that increases the flush power, but it starts out with this terrible hiss, like it's a tiny nozzle trying to force too large a flow. It scares the hell out of you. The first time I stood in front of it and flushed, I hadn't quite finished, so I found out what aiming and being startled simultaneously was all about. Not good if you want to be invited back.

I've never sat on his toilet, but it makes me wonder now if the water isn't being aerosolized somehow to make it more efficient in flushing, with the inadvertent effect of causing plumes.

That made me smile. Back in 1999 I was on a Y2K project and was in Japan doing mitigation. The toilet in my hotel had lots of buttons and switches. I remember telling my wife that it was the first time I had been afraid of a toilet since I was two years old. :)

That made me smile. Back in 1999 I was on a Y2K project and was in Japan doing mitigation. The toilet in my hotel had lots of buttons and switches. I remember telling my wife that it was the first time I had been afraid of a toilet since I was two years old. :)

And you'd probably heard the joke about the guy who wandered into the ladies and wondered what the ATR button did....

Many women 'hover' above the toilet when they use it to avoid touching that cold, wet, pissy plastic surface covered in bleach and cleaning fluids or god knows what else every time they sit down to go. I am of course talking about the toilet seat. But I've heard no demand for action from them to replace all toilet seats with something more hygienic.

The reason why there is pie on the seat is because the women, who lack aiming facilities, hover above it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting down on a toilet seat, unless you are somehow touching your food with the same body parts that touched the toiled seat. In fact, hovering above the seat is less healthy, as it can cause bladder infection.

The door handle of the toilet is likely to carry much more bacteria anyway.

Edited by Bender

There is also pee on the seat because people flush the toilets after using them. See above.

Those are tiny droplets of highly diluted pee, equally harmless as the puddles of pee that fall on the seat directly, but less disgusting and quicker to clean off.

I was thinking... should I go back to leaving my toothbrush in the bathroom where it can collect micro fecal pieces? Reason being is.. I've been doing it all my life, like most people, and maybe it keeps the immune system active. You know - small amounts of poo might actually be heathy in the way that they can help you build a resistance to the bacteria in them.

I think I'll keep on storing my tooth brush in the kitchen anyway,

That reminds me of a girl at work who, apparently, cleaned the toilet regularly with her cheating husbands toothbrush. ew.

Further thoughts... maybe you are right Zap - the seat might be dirtier than the porcelain as the porcelain gets washed with each flush - even so, I still don't like the contact with my bell end. I wouldn't wipe it on the seat either, or the door knob. lol. I prefer a contactless experience when I sit, apart from the obvious comfort of plastic or wooden seat on my backside.

I was thinking... should I go back to leaving my toothbrush in the bathroom where it can collect micro fecal pieces? Reason being is.. I've been doing it all my life, like most people, and maybe it keeps the immune system active. You know - small amounts of poo might actually be heathy in the way that they can help you build a resistance to the bacteria in them.

I'm glad somebody said that. I have read reports about the hazards of using a toothbrush in the bathroom, and everything is predicated on the assumption that bacteria are automatically harmful. I have always had my toothbrush in the bathroom, and I can't see why a tiny exposure to bacteria isn't actually quite healthy. The toilet itself reduces the contamination to a millionth of what it would be without one, so why the fuss?

lol :blink::blink::blink::P the discussion is very hilarious

@DrP Why don't you check out about using a Indian style toilet bowl

you are right about the clearance part too

and also if you know about what angle you should be shitting as to avoid infections in your bladder .

if you use a western toilet , you are mainly at an angle of around 90 deg , making it bad for your bladder and hence your body

And if you use a Indian style toilet bowl you got to to sitting around an angle more than 90 deg , making it more comfortable for your bladder to function and hence be clean.

-demon