do Americans need a President?

paragaster

I think the post/office/role of The President Of The United States Of America is redundant. Xenomorphs like CIA can well run the nation. The murder of Democracy by an elected representative of the country is like music to the ears of the Company. BTW I got an input from website wittyfeed.com that AI had predicted that Trump would win the election. Trump is curtailing the development of Science and Technology in America. Crying over spilt milk are we?

To put it humorously : You cannot stitch a ruptured condom(aka science and technology).

A day will soon come when humans will have to prove they are not robots(anywhichway you look at it).

BTW I got an input from website wittyfeed.com that AI had predicted that Trump would win the election.​

So what it is a 50 50 chance. A chimpanzee could correctly predict it 50% of the time.

A day will soon come when humans will have to prove they are not robots(anywhichway you look at it).

What?

Xenomorphs like CIA can well run the nation

Last I checked the CIA was run by Americans and not aliens.

I think the post/office/role of The President Of The United States Of America is redundant.

Why?

Here it goes : Is the President of USA post needed to be filled by a democratic process? Especially when Democracy is on the decline as an institution.

It's that or a King/Queen, at least you don't need to wait for him/her to die to change your mind.

Here it goes : Is the President of USA post needed to be filled by a democratic process? Especially when Democracy is on the decline as an institution.

I disagree that democracy itself is on the decline, nor is it an institution since it's not a single thing. Certain democracies show signs of needing restructuring, but that flexibility is supposed to be one of its strengths.

The presidency should not be a voluntary position. The most qualified people should be "drafted-encouraged" into studying for the presidency. A dictator is someone who wants power for the sake of power, such as Trump. It should be like jury duty, but the best person qualified is assigned the task. It would not be compulsory, but the most intelligent people, who are the best qualified to be president, who initially don't want to be a politician, are encouraged to join the team. It would take a lot of figuring who would qualify for president school. Then those who are well qualified, and well educated in all relevant subjects, would run for the presidency.

Edited by Airbrush

Xenomorphs like CIA can well run the nation.

WTF!?

Please folks I am begging for an intelligent answer.

As you have never made an intelligent comment on this website ...

The presidency should not be a voluntary position. The most qualified people should be "drafted-encouraged" into studying for the presidency.

Anyone who wants the job should be banned from applying.

It is a Constitutional requirement, so trivially the answer is yes. Conceptually, too. Your previous suggestion of the CIA is flawed in so many ways, not the least of which is who chooses the head of the CIA?

The presidency should not be a voluntary position. The most qualified people should be "drafted-encouraged" into studying for the presidency. A dictator is someone who wants power for the sake of power, such as Trump. It should be like jury duty, but the best person qualified is assigned the task. It would not be compulsory, but the most intelligent people, who are the best qualified to be president, who initially don't want to be a politician, are encouraged to join the team. It would take a lot of figuring who would qualify for president school. Then those who are well qualified, and well educated in all relevant subjects, would run for the presidency.

I actually think the Executive Branch works. It is not perfect but it works. Where our (USA) system is broken is the legislative branch. Gerrymandering and partisanship is so bad it enables/demands trouble in the other branches. If Congress functioned ethically and honestly in the best interest of those they represent someone like Trump would either be forced by checks and balances to execute his duties ethically or be impeached.

Congress does work and as a result many, some out of ignorance others out of impatience, have started looking to the White House to legislate. That isn't how our system is supposed to work.

He was elected through a form of democracy with obvious flaws, but if not democracy, then what would you call it?

The United States is a Republic and not a Democracy.

I'm well aware of that. We're a constitutional republic, which is itself a form of democracy, hence my point.

Trump was not elected via direct democracy, but his election was (despite its flaws) still itself democratic.

I'm well aware of that. We're a constitutional republic, which is itself a form of democracy, hence my point.

Trump was not elected via direct democracy, but his election was (despite its flaws) still itself democratic.

The process was considered a Democratic one even when blacks, natives, and women weren't allowed to vote. Democracy, by most common definitions, is where power rest in the body of citizens to select their leaders. We have always called ourselves a Democracy as a point of pride but at various times have been more of an Oligarchy. One where white males held all power and made all decisions. A Democratic process that purposely restricts citizen participation in elections isn't really Democratic regardless how it chooses to label itself.

That it all in the past though. Women and minorities do have the right to vote now. However state to state all that can be done bending all the rules is done to bend the rule and supress their vote. From the strict voting ID laws determined by courts to have targeted people of color in North Carolina to the registrations laws struck down in Wisconsin we still have problems. Trump even gloated after winng “The African American community was great to us,” “They came through big league. And frankly, if they had any doubt, they didn’t vote. And that was almost as good. Because a bunch of people didn’t show up, because they felt good about me.” A winning candidate in a deomocratic system should never gloat about people not voting.

As a matter of respect for Democracy and our our (USA) constitution I think most accept our leaders are elected Democratically but a grey could is forming I believe. In the history of this nation only 4 Presidents have ever been elected without winning the popular vote and 2 of those in the last 16yrs. While it is technically correct per the rules outlined in the Constitution no one who signed the Constitution ever had a President who did not win the people vote. I have had two. In addition to that Republicans have been able to gain seats in Congress with less overall votes in 2012 and 2014 on the account of redistricting which made Democratic seat larger in popuation but fewer and Republican seats smaller but more abundant. Partisanship and gerrymandering are barriers/threats to Democracy that the founders themselves warned about. Both are at modern era highs currently.

Could it be sour grapes, my candidate lost so I feel Democracy wasn't victorious, could be. Perhaps I am exaggerating the impact of the 84 counties in 13 states that changed the voter registration laws following the 2013 Holder vs Shelby County SCOTUS ruling that strop the voting rights act. Maybe Mitt Romney was right, corporations are people. My own bias could be showing, I concede that. However it would be dishonest of me to say I believe Donald Trump won via a fair Democratic process. I do not believe that. Not with Russia's involvement, partisan Congress's involvement ordering investigations into rival candidates, changes in voting laws, and etc. The GOP in Congress just did away with the Election Committee for goodness sakes. The system is not functioning as intended. There is a handicap in place. Republicans have lost the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 general elections and are 3-3 in the popular vote ifor last 6 midterms yets control all 3 branches of govt and a majority of leadership positions at the state level. That isn't the body of the citizens electing their leaders.

I think the process of influencing voters by dubious means and manipulating them enough for them to vote one way or the other should be brought within judicial purview. Democracy is not just about electing ones leader. It is about having a comprehensive plan for the betterment of the citizens. Providing for the burgeoning population is necessary. It is not Greatest Good for the Greatest Numbers" anymore.

I think the process of influencing voters by dubious means and manipulating them enough for them to vote one way or the other should be brought within judicial purview. Democracy is not just about electing ones leader. It is about having a comprehensive plan for the betterment of the citizens. Providing for the burgeoning population is necessary. It is not Greatest Good for the Greatest Numbers" anymore.

Change "It is about having a comprehensive plan for the betterment of the citizens" to "It is about having a comprehensive plan for an equitable process of the citizens". And I agree 100%. The problem I have with Democracy in the U.S. is that it isn't equitable. We don't even seem to have a desire for it to be. When we say "all" people we have never truly meant "all". There have always groups we having knowingly and purposely excluded from participation. Even amongsts those allowed to vote we have communities where voting take minutes and other communities where it is a difficult all day process.

An easy example of citizens we openingly and proudly don't allow to vote are those caught up in our bloated legal system. It is one thing to take the right to vote away from a murderer but we prevent millions from voting and most are not murderers, rapists, and other types of violence offenders.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1553510,00.html