How to prevent mold in a solution

noquacks

People,

I grow some plants, and make up my own fertilizer recipes - very economical. But recently Ive found that mold grows sometimes in a solution of nutrients, for example, iron and calcium in DI water. What about benzalkonium chloride? Would that be toxic to plants? If not, at what ppm or percent should I make?

I also thought about copper especially since plants do need copper, and one recipe does include Cu, although, I would have to be careful on overdoing the Cu level.

Boron?

Any advice appreciated!

Edited by noquacks

• 1 month later...

People,

I grow some plants, and make up my own fertilizer recipes - very economical. But recently Ive found that mold grows sometimes in a solution of nutrients, for example, iron and calcium in DI water. What about benzalkonium chloride? Would that be toxic to plants? If not, at what ppm or percent should I make?

I also thought about copper especially since plants do need copper, and one recipe does include Cu, although, I would have to be careful on overdoing the Cu level.

Boron?

Any advice appreciated!

First, please know that a bit of mold in a fertilizer us harmless. And, as it's likely higher than 7 pH, is basic, thus maybe even good for enduring your solution is not too acidic, as many fertilizers, especially those high in nitrogen often are. This can burn plants if not applied properly.

May I enquire as to the npk ratio of your fertilizer? I too am an avid horticulturist, specializing in growing chile peppers. I may be interested in fabricating my own special blend some day. I tend to use organic mixtures.

Probably proper storage is as good a practice as any insofar as preventing mold. Dry and ventilated conditions, and all.

Im thinking a dash of urea might prevent mold as well.

Thanks. What sorts of Flora do you grow? What part of the country do you live? That is, your climatic conditions?

People,

Boron?

Any advice appreciated!

What about making the solution very hot or just boiled and putting it in pre- warmed metal, or other rigid air-tight containers, then put the tops on as this will create a low pressure atmosphere within them and hostile to bugs as well as knocking out any micro-organisms from heating it up before filling. That's how canning works.

Edited by StringJunky