coincidences sought

paragaster

In Hinduism the galactic centre of Milky Way is called Moola Nakshatra, meaning "root stars". Now, the galactic centre may also be interpreted as root of the galaxy. Is it coincidence or did Hindu Astronomers know the location of the galactic centre and called it "root" or Mula nakshatra or star.

Please mention more coincidences. They are welcome.

They are pareidolia. We're willing to do a lot of mental gymnastics to make one thing seem like another.

Of course, we also tend to anthropomorphize our world, or in this case liken the unfolding pattern of stars to plants we see in everyday life. A galactic pinwheel as the flower must lead to a stem and roots at the center, that sort of thinking.

Please mention more coincidences. They are welcome.

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.

John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.

John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both were shot in the head.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.

Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

Abraham Lincoln was shot in a Ford and so was JFK.

Try as you might I don't think you will ever beat this string of coincidences.

Edited by Outrider

Sure you can. Because here's the thing, since the original article appeared after Kennedy's death, the list has been added to, because in hindsight you can look at EVERYTHING, then pick the few that match the criteria you're looking for and pitch the rest.

OMG! Both assassin's full names have exactly 15 letters!

This is supposed to be "Lincoln was shot in Ford's Theater, and JFK was shot in a Lincoln."

I don't get the question in this thread. Are you asking if it's a coincidence that they called the center of the galaxy ''the center of the galaxy''? And so they must know where the center is? What?

I mean it is highly unlikely that Indians knew that the galactic centre was located in Sagittarius 2500 years ago.

And how do you know they knew that? Nothing in your post indicates so.

On the topic of coincidences, I quite like this one:

Over a period of 200 years, 3 ships perished at the same location of the coast of Wales, on the same day (December 5th) and all 3 had only one survivor. The 3 survivors all had the same name : Hugh Willaiams. (December 5, 1664, a ship sunk in the Menai Strait, a stretch of water with tremendous tidal swings off the coast of Wales. All 81 passengers died, except one. His name was Hugh Williams. On December 5, 1785, another ship sunk in the Menai Strait, with again everyone aboard dying except for one man…named Hugh Williams. And then again, on December 5, 1820, yet another ship sunk in the Menai Strait. Only one man survived, and he was named Hugh Williams.

The night before he was shot, Lincoln was in Monroe, Maryland.

Hey Phi for All.

The point (for me) was that it's kind of hard to read any supernatural point into the Lincoln/Kennedy alleged coincidences. Most of the time when we hear of some strange coincidence it's something like "I was getting on the plane when so and so called an I missed my flight and then the plane went down and so I was meant to live." My point is coincidences do happen but that's all they are and even tho JFK/Lincoln has been explained away I still think it's remarkable.

BTW Snopes is on your side.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/lincoln-kennedy.asp

This is supposed to be "Lincoln was shot in Ford's Theater, and JFK was shot in a Lincoln."

That was my wee joke...Very wee apparently. The Lincoln was made by Ford motors.

Hi Swansont

I'm not touching that one.

Hey Phi for All.

The point (for me) was that it's kind of hard to read any supernatural point into the Lincoln/Kennedy alleged coincidences.

There is no supernatural point. They are coincidences. You should expect them to exist, if you cast your net wide enough, just because statistics and probability is a thing.

There is no supernatural point.

Agreed

They are coincidences.

Agreed

You should expect them to exist, if you cast your net wide enough, just because statistics and probability is a thing.

Yeah but when they do happen such as in this case I still find it amazing and noteworthy.

Causial relationship for some too. Lincoln brand came from Lincoln Motors which was named after the first President the founder voted for.

+1 for obscure yet relevant fact.

Yeah but when they do happen such as in this case I still find it amazing and noteworthy.

People generally don't cope well with situations with small odds. Disproportionately afraid of events that are exceedingly unlikely, as opposed to much more comment risks.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not that. This statement:

I want to know the scientific reason(s) for coincidences.

isn't really answerable. What do you mean by ''scientific reason for conincidences''?

There is low chance of them happening, and thus with a large sample size of events, they will eventually happen.

It is that self evident. If there is a box with 10 000 blue balls and just 1 red ball, there is a small (1 in 10 001) chance of you pulling out the red ball. Pulling out the red ball is a coincidence. However, this will happen, on average, once every 10 000 pulls. That's all there is to it. Think of all the times where a coincidence DOESN'T happen. Exactly.

With 7 billion people on earth and a sample size of years and years, a lot of highly unlikely coincidences are bound to come up. There is nothing ''mysterious'' or ''unlikely'' about it, it is exactly as per expectation. I read a story where a baby dropped from a balcony onto a passerby. One year later, the same (I think) baby dropped on the same man from the same balcony. True or not, this is a remarkable coincidence but it isn't at all incredible to believe that something like this would eventually happen.