Why is yawning contagious ?

I read this interesting article (albeit no conclusion) on why yawning is contagious on the 'world-science.net' web site.

Does anyone have any theories on this strange behaviour.

I'm wondering if it is a reaction that has mutated from primitive man or primates. A group reaction that is no longer needed so has mutated into something that seems nonsensical.

My other theory is that if someone is sucking a bit too much air from their immediate vacinity, the other person yawns to compensate for the sudden lack of air. ;-)

I'v heard a theory that its to syncronise the sleep patterns of a community, so that everyone sleeps at the same time. dont know how plausable that theory is, though.

I think that 9 out of 10 times when somebody yawns, (directly after another person,) - it's just seeing the yawn and reminding yourself that you TOO are tired - thus causing you to yawn. I've noticed a few times that when somebody else yawns, I tend to yawn as well for no good reason lol... it's just a reaction.

Quote 'have you bothered to use our SEARCH ENGINE at all?

if you had have done you`de find this has been done before!'

Oops, will do in future. Thanks for pointing that out.